shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth the risk??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sortonb

Rough_Rock
or a new job on the table, but I''m not sure if it is worth the risks to take it.

For 1.5 years I have been working in an administrative role at my current position. I enjoy this type of work, but I don''t really like the industry that I am working in (manufacturing). Of course there are pros and cons to every job, but right now there are many things that I don''t enjoy, and I have been trying to find a new job now for months. The company I work for is not financially stable, my paychecks periodically bounce, and I fear that we will shut down. There is absolutely no potential for growth and I am very bored.

I recently interviewed with a new company. The job tasks will be similar, but with more of what I would like to be doing and less of what I don''t like. I feel that I would have a lot of potential for future advancement with this new company. However, this is a tech company that is developing an innovative software program, and is currently only in the "start-up" phase. It is a small office, and currently, all other employees are contract employees. My position will start out as contract, but then change over after 90 days. However, because all other employees are currently contract, there is no benefits system in place. And the employer does not yet know exactly what will be offered, although he "plans" on having insurance, 401K, paid time off, etc. But nothing is set in stone for now. The pay is less than my current position, but not too much less, with a promise of a raise after a few months probationary period. Commute, hours, etc., are all pretty similar.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Would it be crazy for me to accept a position not knowing exactly what I will receive? I carry the insurance for my husband and I. I really believe that this could be a huge step in my career but there is so much uncertainty. However, I know that my current position does not make me happy and is dead end. I have interviewed for several other positions but this is the only offer I have received in about 6 months.

What would you do?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not be comfortable without any insurance (at the very least, major medical), and I would assume that this new company will not get insurance together for a while, so I would look into the cost of insurance and factor that in to your deliberations. You could try to get something worked out where the new company pays for your private insurance till the company gets coverage.

If you decide to take the new position, you should get everything in writing about what will happen: change from contract position, how many days vacation, how much insurance coverage (and a back up plan if they don''t get an insurance plan right away), raises, etc. I understand things might not be set in stone now, but you need a concrete promise that they will happen (or what happens if they don''t).

All that said, I really don''t have much advice on whether you should take the job: it seems a little unstable, but so does your current job, so its a tough choice. Are there any other job prospects on the horizon?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2007 9:55:57 AM
Author:sortonb

I have an offer for a new job on the table, but I''m not sure if it is worth the risks to take it.

For 1.5 years I have been working in an administrative role at my current position. I enjoy this type of work, but I don''t really like the industry that I am working in (manufacturing). Of course there are pros and cons to every job, but right now there are many things that I don''t enjoy, and I have been trying to find a new job now for months. The company I work for is not financially stable, my paychecks periodically bounce, and I fear that we will shut down. There is absolutely no potential for growth and I am very bored.

I recently interviewed with a new company. The job tasks will be similar, but with more of what I would like to be doing and less of what I don''t like. I feel that I would have a lot of potential for future advancement with this new company. However, this is a tech company that is developing an innovative software program, and is currently only in the ''start-up'' phase. It is a small office, and currently, all other employees are contract employees. My position will start out as contract, but then change over after 90 days. However, because all other employees are currently contract, there is no benefits system in place. And the employer does not yet know exactly what will be offered, although he ''plans'' on having insurance, 401K, paid time off, etc. But nothing is set in stone for now. The pay is less than my current position, but not too much less, with a promise of a raise after a few months probationary period. Commute, hours, etc., are all pretty similar.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Would it be crazy for me to accept a position not knowing exactly what I will receive? I carry the insurance for my husband and I. I really believe that this could be a huge step in my career but there is so much uncertainty. However, I know that my current position does not make me happy and is dead end. I have interviewed for several other positions but this is the only offer I have received in about 6 months.

What would you do?
Well right now your checks are bouncing. So if you can put some other type of insurance in place, something you buy for yourself short term. Then I would try it. You really don''t want to be left without insurance or a gap in insurance.

Then you could see how it goes. The company might not make it to the 90 day mark or it might be the next Microsoft. But since your current job has so much uncertainty I''d try to get insurance and
make the jump. Then update your resume with this start up company just in case they don''t make it.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results