shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth the $$$? PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ufmike05

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on which of the following would be good...

Looking at a few stones.

1st:
AGS, 1.082ct, Ideal cut, Color F, VS2, 3.3 on Holloway Cut Advisor....$7,580.

2nd:
GIA Cert, 1.09ct, Color F, SI2, dont know HCA (61.8 depth, 58 table)..white inclusions...$6700

3rd:
GIA cert, 1.02ct, Color F, dont know dimensions yet...''good'' symmetry, ''very good'' polish. New GIA reports dont give cut rating. Going to see tomorrow...$8,000.

My budget is 8,000. NOW, I could go with goodoldgold.com and get a stone with more inclusions, G color, Ideal cut and with a much better HCA score, 1-2, but dont know what to choose. Local stones with bad HCA scores and better C''s or worse C''s and much better HCA.

I want a stone with lots of fire but dont know if online hassle is worth it. I need this done in 9 days!
23.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Worse other C''s and better HCA. Sparkle is what counts IMO. You can easily drop down to an H in a round or even lower, and clarity, as long as it''s eyeclean you are good to go. I would get a G-H SI1 personally and look for a HCA score under 2.

ufmike05

Rough_Rock
So, HCA is really that important? I havent been able to see any great HCA scores in person but the Fire, sparkle, i''m looing for is similar to what I saw at Jareds (boo) in their Peerless brand (boo) or Leo cut diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found it WAY more of a hassle trying to shop locally. I finally gave up and went with GOG. There''s no hassle, to me.

Here''s a nice one.
2.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Jared's peeless are AGS 000 and the reason they sparkle so much is becasue their cut is top of the line. The other Cs, in most cases, are just not going to impact the diamond the way cut will. That is what you need to look for. Check out Whiteflash and Good Old Gold for AGS 000s.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 5:47:59 PM
Author: ufmike05
So, HCA is really that important? I havent been able to see any great HCA scores in person but the Fire, sparkle, i'm looing for is similar to what I saw at Jareds (boo) in their Peerless brand (boo) or Leo cut diamond.

As far as I understand, Jared's peerless brand are AGS0 stones (older ones are called AGS000 stones). So, in that case, they really should get great HCA scores. You WON'T however, get that same sparkle from something with a lower quality cut, aka an over 2 HCA score. BUT that being said, you can find AGS0 stones for cheaper, elsewhere, as others have mentioned.

ufmike05

Rough_Rock
So how does hearts & arrows diamonds compare with AGS0000?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You have many, many options with your budget and desires. I''d definitely consider looking online at something like this if you can''t find an AGS0 and/or HCA score of 2.0 or below locally.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 6:06:25 PM
Author: ufmike05
So how does hearts & arrows diamonds compare with AGS0000?
H&A''s are just a product of really precise cutting. That alone won''t ensure a beautiful stone, always.

AGS0 is a confirmation that it is a great performing stone.

To have both is great.
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 6:08:40 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
You have many, many options with your budget and desires. I'd definitely consider looking online at something like this if you can't find an AGS0 and/or HCA score of 2.0 or below locally.

That is a great option. AGS0 stones basically are H&A stones (at least I have never seen an AGS0 that isn't H&A), but not all H&A stones are AGS0 if that makes sense. They are the best of the best in three major areas (light performance, finish, and proportion factors) according to AGS. Jared's peerless, Hearts on Fire, etc. are all stones that either ARE AGS0 stones or else would qualify if they were sent to AGS for grading. Without the "brand" they are simply known as AGS0 stones.

ETA: I'm not sure that I made the most sense in my post. Sorry bout that, it's been a long day!

ufmike05

Rough_Rock
All the comments are great. I think I''m going to see what my local guys can do but when u start adding in taxes etc things quickly get out of my budget and if i''m losing out on sparkle, fire, etc i''ll be pissed off.

I''m nervous about inclusions etc without seeing the stones but if the consensus is low HCA''s over the C''s I can afford I''ll readjust my approach.

Anyone know where I can get a platinum bead set ring with approx .30ct in oh, about a week?!?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
At VS2, you don''t have any worries. With an SI1, just ask the vendor if it''s eyeclean, and tell them what YOUR definition is (what you do and don''t want to see).
28.gif

If you can, stick to AGS0''s when shopping locally, it''ll just help take the headache out of it.

If you decide to go with an online vendor, then make a new thread about your setting, you''ll get more responses.

And good luck!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 6:15:56 PM
Author: neatfreak

That is a great option. AGS0 stones basically are H&A stones (at least I have never seen an AGS0 that isn''t H&A), but not all H&A stones are AGS0 if that makes sense. They are the best of the best in three major areas (light performance, finish, and proportion factors) according to AGS. Jared''s peerless, Hearts on Fire, etc. are all stones that either ARE AGS0 stones or else would qualify if they were sent to AGS for grading. Without the ''brand'' they are simply known as AGS0 stones.

ETA: I''m not sure that I made the most sense in my post. Sorry bout that, it''s been a long day!
Actually, H&A does not mean it will get a 0 for light performance. And you can have an AGS 000 without H&A.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results