shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth 20% premium for "Pricescope Quality" Diamonds?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
As some of you may know, you can ask IDJ for Pricescope Quality diamonds in your rings from them. I am interested in a 1.25ct 5 stone anniversary style band from them. The premium for these diamonds is 20% more. According to IDJ they are all from the same lot but the pricescope quality ones are handpicked to make sure there are no visible inclusions. With those of you who may have had experience with this or thoughts on this...is it worth it? Thanks for input

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
20%!?! That's even worse than Astor/True Hearts which are already a ripoff...

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would compare their +20% cost to other vendors and then decide. I.D. Jewelry is a vendor I associate with providing excellent value by finding stones at good prices, and those deals may take time to find or may have specs just outside of Pricescope perfection. If you're asking IDJ to provide the full service 100% equivalent merchandise and extra effort, then why should they do it for less?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope quality refers to cut, not clarity. Were you asking for SI stones in pricescope quality? VS stones should be eye clean.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I did ask about cut and if there is any difference with them coming from the same lot but haven't heard back. The note about it being regarding the inclusions came from the horses mouth...their website states the standard are F-G SI1-SI2. These are only 1/4ct stones.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ has a rather stellar rep for finding gorgeous stones on shoe string budgets. Then they bring the stone(s) in and provide all the imaging (ASET, H&A, IS, etc) so you have some real data to base anticipated light performance and symmetry upon.

Regardless where the stone comes from, if it's not well cut it's worth ZERO dollars to me.

I've spoke and bought from Yeukitel. He's an enthusiast like us, and I couldn't think of a better place to be shopping for beauty and value than IDJ.

I think there are more factors at play here than IDJ price gouging 20%. The clarity, color, etc is likely different. Not to mention the additional imaging services and expertise you get ensuring you find an ideal cut stone.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Fair enough. I don't know anything about IDJ. On the surface it just sounded like a cash grab the way the OP framed it... I figured it was like BN/JA where you can find your own ideal diamonds if you're willing to do the work without paying the branded premium.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I bought hoops once with PS quality stones. I don't think they do detailed imaging on small stones. They didn't for me. I think they just look for nicer and more consistent cut stones. A lot of their stuff is advertised as si1. You shouldn't see inclusions in that anyway at those sizes.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point about the size @elizat. I'm not sure if they do all the imaging on smaller stones. But I bet they would oblige if requested.

And no worries @TODiamonds. Sorry if my comments across as harsh towards you. They were not meant that way or at any particular person.

I was also thinking that sometimes IDJ can find killer deals because they also scour the uncertified stones and that too may account for part of the 20% difference. It's hard to say without more details.

I do know looking at their site for 0.23-0.27 F-G SI1-VS2 stones, a handful pop up for around $600/ea.
CaptureIDJ.PNG

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough. I don't know anything about IDJ. On the surface it just sounded like a cash grab the way the OP framed it... I figured it was like BN/JA where you can find your own ideal diamonds if you're willing to do the work without paying the branded premium.

Maybe if you don’t know anything about the vendor, don’t comment?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
@elizat would you pay the premium for the stones in the hoops you bought from them if you could do it over again?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat would you pay the premium for the stones in the hoops you bought from them if you could do it over again?

Just my 2 cents, but I think before anyone can honestly answer that question we need to understand the specific differences. Different color? Different clarity? Cut quality? Cert vs non-certified?

If you ask IDJ I am sure they will tell you.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
@sledge I had mentioned the answer I got from them at the beginning of the post. They didnt say anything about cut, just inclusions. When I asked about any difference in cut with being hand selected I have yet to hear back. Being from the same lot, I'm not sure what that means regarding cut.

"The difference between the two is that pricescope quality has a higher level of quality control. We use diamonds from the same lot, but the pricescope quality ones are hand picked to make sure that there are no visible inclusions (pricescoper have very sharp eyes) There’s about a 20% difference."

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond tennis necklace purchased from IDJ that is not PS quality vs a custom made diamond bangles from IDJ that are PS quality and the difference is night and day. I should add that the diamonds on the bangles are H&A, VS F-G while the necklace one is SI, G-H, excellent cut. Very obvious differences between the 2! Once i saw a PS quality stone and its capacity to shine, it is hard for me to go back to non PS stones. I have purchased 3 pieces from IDJ since the necklace and every time, i tell Yekutiel i want PS quality stones. In fact, i am looking to upgrade the tennis necklace to PS stones, even though the difference in price will probably be significant.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond tennis necklace purchased from IDJ that is not PS quality vs a custom made diamond bangles from IDJ that are PS quality and the difference is night and day. I should add that the diamonds on the bangles are H&A, VS F-G while the necklace one is SI, G-H, excellent cut. Very obvious differences between the 2! Once i saw a PS quality stone and its capacity to shine, it is hard for me to go back to non PS stones. I have purchased 3 pieces from IDJ since the necklace and every time, i tell Yekutiel i want PS quality stones. In fact, i am looking to upgrade the tennis necklace to PS stones, even though the difference in price will probably be significant.

Helpful information first hand. Appreciated

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think if the difference is the cut, it's worth it. If it's clarity in an SI1 stone, I say probably not. I thought that the difference was a nicer cut as well. If that's changed, it may not be worth it for the SI1 stones.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have always thought that "PS quality" diamonds at IDJ means better cut ones -- not just clarity that's better than commercial grade, "mall store" clarity

So my suggestion would be that you call IDJ and ask to speak to Yekutiel Davidoff himself for clarification, explaining that you're asking because the email you received is different than what you believed based on past reports from PSers.

If he confirms that whoever wrote the email is not mistaken, that assessing cut is no longer part of IDJ selecting "PS quality" stones, that's something we all here should know.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.5 ctw five stone ring from IDJ with PS quality stones. They are amazing. Total sparkle show, and I can clearly see hearts and arrows in each stone. It's worth every penny for PS quality stones.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.5 ctw five stone ring from IDJ with PS quality stones. They are amazing. Total sparkle show, and I can clearly see hearts and arrows in each stone. It's worth every penny for PS quality stones.

I concur!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I would try calling Yekutiel at a time when they typically have fewer customers in the shop, e.g., either at 10 AM EST tomorrow (right when they open on Sundays) or between 9:30 - 10:30 AM EST on Monday or Tuesday. (I wouldn't bother calling there on Wednesday through the Thanksgiving weekend.).

And if you're wondering how to pronounce his first name, yuh-cooh' tee-ELLE is the best phonetic transcription I can come up with. But you can hear how he pronounces it when he introduces himself by name at the very beginning of this YouTube video :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm biased but my earrings and jackets come from IDJ. Main stones are I, jacket stones are F-G. I can see the difference but its not noticable to most people. The cut is absolutely ridiculous on the stones and in the jackets they all match closely to each other not only in the color but the cut. No fluro on any of those stones.

So if you care about making sure your stones are matchy matchy, then yes ask for the pricescope quality stones. You do pay more, make no mistake, but pay for it if you totally care about that type of thing (I did and do, so its worth it to me), If you don't think you'll care or even notice, then don't bother. Plenty of people don't. Pay for only the thing you can see is my motto.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I would try calling Yekutiel at a time when they typically have fewer customers in the shop, e.g., either at 10 AM EST tomorrow (right when they open on Sundays) or between 9:30 - 10:30 AM EST on Monday or Tuesday. (I wouldn't bother calling there on Wednesday through the Thanksgiving weekend.).

And if you're wondering how to pronounce his first name, yuh-cooh' tee-ELLE is the best phonetic transcription I can come up with. But you can hear how he pronounces it when he introduces himself by name at the very beginning of this YouTube video :))

He looks totally different to what I imagined! :lol:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My experience with Yekutiel is that he is very honest and he knows what PS quality looks like. IDJ has worked with me to find both antique and modern cut diamonds and I was impressed with Yekutiel’s assessments of the stones ahead of time (very accurate and honest descriptions) as well as the ease of the transaction and reasonableness of their pricing considering the work they put in and the actual value of the stones to me. I personally think the 20% markup is worth it if the cut is better, but from what you wrote I’m confused, because you say they are from the same lot, but handpicked. I would call and get clarification that they are also better cut. Customer service from Yekutiel has been consistently professional and generous, but my guess is stones should be better cut. Yes, better cut is worth more to me, the closer to superideal H&A the better.

Last edited:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
My experience with Yekutiel is that he is very honest and he knows what PS quality looks like. IDJ has worked with me to find both antique and modern cut diamonds and I was impressed with Yekutiel’s assessments of the stones ahead of time (very accurate and honest descriptions) as well as the ease of the transaction and reasonableness of their pricing considering the work they put in and the actual value of the stones to me. I personally think the 20% markup is worth it if the cut is better, but from what you wrote I’m confused, because you say they are from the same lot, but handpicked. I would call and get clarification that they are also better cut. Customer service from Yekutiel has been consistently professional and generous, but my guess is stones should be better cut. Yes, better cut is worth more to me, the closer to superideal H&A the better.

I will call and clarify because when I asked if they sparkle more and if it is based on cut I was told it was based on inclusions alone.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Ok, just an update. I spoke with Yekutiel and he said it involves "everything." He did focus on inclusions when speaking with me but also went into color, cut etc. I asked if this pertains even to the small 0.25 pointers for a 5 stone ring and he said yes. I explained I was confused because I was told via IG that it was based solely on inclusions. Very friendly and helpful.

@soxfan do you mind posting a photo of your 1.5ct 5 stone from IDJ here for reference and note your finger size? I was wavering between 1.25 and 1.5ct bands. Thanks!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, just an update. I spoke with Yekutiel and he said it involves "everything." He did focus on inclusions when speaking with me but also went into color, cut etc. I asked if this pertains even to the small 0.25 pointers for a 5 stone ring and he said yes. I explained I was confused because I was told via IG that it was based solely on inclusions. Very friendly and helpful.

@soxfan do you mind posting a photo of your 1.5ct 5 stone from IDJ here for reference and note your finger size? I was wavering between 1.25 and 1.5ct bands. Thanks!

Sure, let me find the pics....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is a 1.5 ctw ring and my finger is a 4.5.

Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 12.22.22 PM.png Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 12.22.03 PM.png Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 12.21.52 PM.png

Dammit, now I want to be sitting by a pool somewhere hot, rather than sitting in a coffee shop looking at the drizzle murkily drifting past the window... :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have these hoops and they are gorgeous!!! I’m glad she got the upgraded stones! ;)2:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results