shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth $1850 to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2ct, from Si2 to Si1?

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock
Please help!

We purchased my engagement ring 1-2 months ago, later I found out I didn't like the setting and the diamond appeared to be a bit cloudy under sunlight (which bothers me, but I was planning to reset the diamond into a different setting and keep the diamond for the time being). So I returned the ring, and they just started the resetting process.

Here are the specs of my current diamond:

Eye Clean Yes
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Carat 1.102
Color G
Clarity SI2
Cut Ideal
Certificate AGS
Depth % 61.3
Table % 56.9
Crown Angle 34.9
Star 54.0
Pavilion Angle 40.9
Crown % 15.0
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Measurements 6.63x6.66x4.07
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

Yesterday I came across a new diamond in their inventory:

Eye Clean Yes
Light Performance Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Carat 1.208
Color G
Clarity SI1
Cut Ideal
Certificate AGS
Depth % 61.7
Table % 55.8
Crown Angle 34.8
Star 52.0
Pavilion Angle 40.9
Crown % 15.2
Lower Girdle % 77.0
Measurements 6.83x6.87x4.23
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

Both diamonds are AGS000, H&A and eye clean. They have pretty similar specs, primary differences would be the size (from 1.1ct to 1.2ct, approx 0.2mm bigger in diameter), and clarity (from Si2 to Si1). The 1.2ct diamond costs approx. $1,850 more.

Should I upgrade to the 1.2ct diamond? Is it worth an extra $1,850??

Is the size difference (approx. 0.2mm in diameter) gonna be noticeable??

Any inputs would be appreciated!! :wink2:

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock
Re: Worth $1850 to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2ct, from Si2 to Si

Here are the images of the two diamonds.

And I notice the diamond price increases lately... now for the same price I spent on my 1.1ct G Si2 H&A, I would only be able to get a 1.01ct H Si2 H&A with similar spec... that's really crazy! :angryfire:

1.1Si2.jpg

1.2Si1.jpg

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock

No I wouldn't do it... I really don't think that it's the Si2 grade that is making your diamond cloudy... Are you sure it's not just dirty? If it is an AGS Ideal then it really shouldn't be cloudy and going up 1 clarity grade is going to have no real affect.
That's a lot of money for a fraction of a mm size difference.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock

I definitely wouldn't do it. Take your ring to a jeweler and let them do a "spa treatment" and clean it really well and polish the setting. You'll fall in love all over again.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldnt pay close to $2 grand to get a small upgrade when both the stones are eye-clean. I say save your money for a bigger
upgrade!

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your reply.

Here's a picture of my ring (which was returned for a new setting) taken under sunlight, it was posted on my other thread as well. That was best shot I took coz it showed the arrows, but when it's under sunlight I could only see the arrows under certain angle, and the diamond looks like it has a milky blue film over the top, don't you think? Or is it just normal and I was being too picky????

Picture 019.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't. it's a neglible difference- and you said both stones are eyeclean. Make sure you keep your diamond super clean and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I think it depends on whether you think you will upgrade again in the future. If the answer is yes, then I would say wait until you have enough funds to upgrade to something that is visibly bigger/better. If the answer is no (this is it! no more), then I would say go ahead. I think having a peace of mind is so important when it comes to your e-ring. You will be looking at it thousands and thousands of times and if you feel like there's a cloud somewhere that's bothering you, then I say the $1,850 is WELL worth it if it makes you feel better about your stone. $1,850 is by no means a small amount but to get something slightly bigger and "cleaner" to have on your hand for the rest of your life, YES!

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your inputs.

By looking at the above picture (the one I took under sunlight), does any of you think that my diamond has some sort of fluorescence although it says "Negligible" on the AGS report? It does look blue under sunlight, and the blue is very obvious when comparing it with the pave diamonds.

I don't know if I should worry about the possible fluorescence? I wonder if they'd have any machine to test out the fluorescence in house?

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

OK I just received the comparison shot from them.

LEFT: 1.1ct Si2
RIGHT: 1.2ct Si1

What do you think?

SidebySide2.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

princesscathryn|1308862536|2953268 said:
OK I just received the comparison shot from them.

LEFT: 1.1ct Si2
RIGHT: 1.2ct Si1

What do you think?

I think:
1) The 1.1 carat looks whiter than the 1.2 carat. Can be a lighting issue. Not sure.
2) The 1.2 carat has a crystal on the off three o'clock direction. If your concern is to get a fairly clean stone, I would check on that.

But both stones are beautiful. I don't see any clouds at all in the 1.1 carat!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The 1.2 looks bigger than I thought it would in a side-by-side comparison. The 1.1 does look whiter/bluer. Could you ask them
to check the flour for you while its there? It seems like the 1.1 is not making you happy? Maybe you should upgrade.

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

Yes, I asked them earlier today to check for the fluorescence, and here's their reply which I think it makes good sense:

I had my gemologist check the diamond, and it does not fluoresce. The diamond did not appear hazy or cloudy in our normal office lighting, but it certainly is possible that under certain lighting conditions and certain angles, the light is reflecting off of the clouds differently, and that's what you're seeing.

This would be a function of the clarity specifically, so if it's bothersome, an easy fix would eb to go with a diamond of higher clarity like the Si1. There isn't anything wrong with your Si2, and the light return is still ideal. The difference is in the type and number of inclusions.

I think with situations like this, it's a peace of mind thing. Will you be happy with your Si2? Or will it drive you crazy? If the diamond isn't "mind clean" for you, you certainly have the option to trade, and a really nice option to trade with. But if you're OK with the diamond and how it looks, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the diamond at all, from a gemological standpoint.

Perhaps I'm overanalyzing the diamond?

What I'm worried is, if I end up paying the extra $ to upgrade it to the 1.2ct Si1, and it still appears to be cloudy & blue-ish like the 1.1ct Si2 under sunlight, then I'd feel extremely stupid coz I wouldn't be able to go back to the original stone for the same price as I first paid for :knockout:

Ugh, I'm having a headache.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock

I don't see anything wrong with your diamond. It looks so beautiful and love the setting. :) You have had the ring for a few months? How does your fiance feel about the upgrade? As the PP said you need to make sure your ring is clean clean clean. I'm such a freak when it comes to that.

If you do upgrade now how long do you plan to have this stone? If it won't be for several years I'd upgrade to bigger and better quality if its going to bother you that much, if the fiance agrees. I really don't see a problem with your ring like I said before its beautiful and don't think the upgrade is necessary right now. :)

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock

I would not do the upgrade. You will not see any difference once it is set. It's a lot of $$ to get not any size; plus the crystal in the 1.2 is visible in the picture.
Are there any clouds mentioned in the 1.1 grading report? I find that direct sunlight isn't the beset lighting; diffuse lighting is much more complimentary to a diamond. Even a well-cut diamond.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

the way I see it, you can spend the money on something you'll hardly notice, or you can spend the money on something else, like an awesome honeymoon, down payment on a house or just savings...i think you'll feel a lot better if you dont spend it on such a small upgrade...I say the wait for something .5 bigger is FAR worth it! I certainly dont speak from experience, but I'm excited about the eventual upgrade... good luck with your decision!! I hope you're happy with what ever you decide :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would make the trade especially if you do not plan to upgrade later (assuming the 1.2 stone is eyeclean). The 1.2 is noticeably larger and a really nice forever size, to me. I'd rather have the SI1 clarity, too, again assuming it is eyeclean.

However, when I read your last post it sounds like you are happy with your stone other than how it looks in sunlight. But I think every stone is going to look different in sunlight anyway, so that is no reason to trade.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1308883627|2953707 said:
I would make the trade especially if you do not plan to upgrade later (assuming the 1.2 stone is eyeclean). The 1.2 is noticeably larger and a really nice forever size, to me. I'd rather have the SI1 clarity, too, again assuming it is eyeclean.

However, when I read your last post it sounds like you are happy with your stone other than how it looks in sunlight. But I think every stone is going to look different in sunlight anyway, so that is no reason to trade.
Agreed with all these points.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

I can see the hazyness you're describing. If it's driving you nuts then change it up - life's too short to be unhappy!

(Although the fairly prominant inclusion of the SI1 might drive you nuts too!) Good luck with your decision!

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your replies. Your comments are very helpful.

My bf is very supportive and let me decide what I want, he's okay with paying the extra as long as I can have a peace of mind. But after reading the replies from you folks and the jeweler, I think my stone is actually okay - I was just over-analyzing it. I also agree that it's kinda silly to spend that much money to upgrade to something that the change is hardly noticeable, I should spend this money on something more meaningful like honeymoon.

I loved my original setting but later I figured the band was a bit too wide and the pave stones were a bit big, the center stone got swallowed up and blended in with the pave stones. I returned my ring on the last day of my return period, WF has been providing excellent service and working on the exchange of the setting for me (although I had to pay a 20% restocking for the setting since it was semi-custom). This time I picked the Legato Sleek Line Solitaire setting in White Gold, I hope it would come out nicely!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your stone is really beautiful (I would have kept it too)! Please post some pictures of it in its new home!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

tyty333|1308933192|2954070 said:
Your stone is really beautiful (I would have kept it too)! Please post some pictures of it in its new home!

Agreed, I'm happy that you decided to keep your original stone. It sounds like a lot of money for a slight upgrade, and you ring is stunning. Can't wait to see pics of your re-set. Perhaps when your happier with the setting you'll be happier with the stone as well!

princesscathryn

Rough_Rock

Hi all!

I received the pictures from WF today! Should have the ring on Thursday! :love:

*LOVEEEEEE the legato head*

Legato-White-Gold-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-20404_2.jpg

Legato-White-Gold-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-20404_3.jpg

Legato-White-Gold-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-by-Whiteflash-20404.jpg

TTR1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another BGD beauty! I think you will be thrilled with the slimmer band!!! Hand pics when it gets here!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm late but based on the stone IS and images you posted, your original stone should not have a milky appearance and there doesn't appear to be any large inclusion that would cause a cloudy appearance. It could just be that diamonds do not look their best in direct sunlight as all the facets firing can make them look a little chaotic. And no you will not always see your arrows spot on in every viewing and light circumstance, I hardly see mine. I think your original stone should be amazing. Hope you love the new ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that setting! :love: It is a beautiful ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results