shape
carat
color
clarity

Worried the ring is too big- large oval and halo

Etoilenoire

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and this place is amazing. I wish I had found it before my ring was purchased so I could have gotten opinions beforehand. My boyfriend and I are about to get engaged and we did all of the ring selection process together- he wanted me to get what I wanted.
I’m a bit of bling fiend and I love shiny things. I wear pretty minimal jewelry on daily basis and currently no rings. I always envisioned a 2 carat ring and when we started looking we realized our budget could accommodate more. The problem is, I got excited and think I may have went overboard. We are in LA and shopped the diamond district so unfortunately I didn’t get to try on a lot of larger stones already in settings. I felt weird going into Tiffany to try on when I knew we had no intention of buying from then.
I ended up selecting a 3.5 carat oval measuring 12x8.6mm, vs1, h set in rose gold pave band and halo. The ring is arriving in 3 days in store and there is ability to return it. My ring size is a 5. I am afraid this is going to take up my entire finger from knuckle to knuckle bc my fingers are also somewhat short in that portion. I discussed with my boyfriend and he is ok having me try it on to see if it is too big even though he is not proposing right now. We have ability to exchange or fully return diamond and/or setting so I guess that is reassuring. As long as diamond looks as good as it did in video, I will likely just have it reset into a micropave 4 prong solitaire but I have also debated going down to 2.5 carats as well. I will post pics once I try it on in a few days to get better opinion.
I’m just worried it’s too much. I think I will actually love it, but with my career it’s going to garner many comments that I don’t necessarily want to deal with. Any thoughts from ladies with large ovals and halos?

Reactions: AV_

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and this place is amazing. I wish I had found it before my ring was purchased so I could have gotten opinions beforehand. My boyfriend and I are about to get engaged and we did all of the ring selection process together- he wanted me to get what I wanted.
I’m a bit of bling fiend and I love shiny things. I wear pretty minimal jewelry on daily basis and currently no rings. I always envisioned a 2 carat ring and when we started looking we realized our budget could accommodate more. The problem is, I got excited and think I may have went overboard. We are in LA and shopped the diamond district so unfortunately I didn’t get to try on a lot of larger stones already in settings. I felt weird going into Tiffany to try on when I knew we had no intention of buying from then.
I ended up selecting a 3.5 carat oval measuring 12x8.6mm, vs1, h set in rose gold pave band and halo. The ring is arriving in 3 days in store and there is ability to return it. My ring size is a 5. I am afraid this is going to take up my entire finger from knuckle to knuckle bc my fingers are also somewhat short in that portion. I discussed with my boyfriend and he is ok having me try it on to see if it is too big even though he is not proposing right now. We have ability to exchange or fully return diamond and/or setting so I guess that is reassuring. As long as diamond looks as good as it did in video, I will likely just have it reset into a micropave 4 prong solitaire but I have also debated going down to 2.5 carats as well. I will post pics once I try it on in a few days to get better opinion.
I’m just worried it’s too much. I think I will actually love it, but with my career it’s going to garner many comments that I don’t necessarily want to deal with. Any thoughts from ladies with large ovals and halos?

See how you feel when it arrives and if you do indeed love it no problem. And if you don't PSers can help you find the oval and ring of your dreams. But just wait and see what you think when you get it. And there is no such thing as too big when it comes to diamonds if you ask some of us. ;)2 But *you* have to love it and you are the only one who matters when it comes to that.

Looking forward to seeing photos when it arrives. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming engagement.:appl:

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I pulled this photo from a similar sized diamond. This is an actual diamond on a size 6 hand. This diamond is 11.95x8.5 ish. Yours will look a bit bigger than this because of the halo.
B68E8211-A219-476F-80A9-EFB132069B22.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid this is going to take up my entire finger from knuckle to knuckle

No problem with that!

Better too big than too small... rings have a way of looking smaller over time. :D

If it'll get you attention you don't want at work, buy a smaller fake or inexpensive smaller diamond to wear at work. I volunteer a lot and often just wear a half carat diamond solitaire rather than my engagement ring or other rings because it's not flashy and to me it feels a bit rude to wear expensive jewelry when volunteering with people less well off. I bought it secondhand for $500. That sort of thing could be a good option for you so you can have the ring you love AND have something that is appropriate for work.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a size 4.5 stubby fingers, my center stone is 16.24x10.16 I think your oval halo will be large but it won’t cover the entire finger (unless you went with a chunky halo). Plus after wearing it for a year, it won’t appear big at all lol I don’t even notice the size of this ring anymore until someone points it out.

You are going to fall in love with your ring once it’s on your finger! Post photos when it comes in!!

3334BCD7-D4B7-4C78-9C27-6B7B28F94674.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
congradulatuons on your engagment and your ring
im looking forward to seeing it

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. You never know until you have it on your hand. I think it will be gorgeous.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am confused......is it a Tiffany ring you are waiting for?

Etoilenoire

Rough_Rock
KK, thank you for sharing- your ring is stunning. Thank you all for the kind replies. We picked up the ring last night but boyfriend didn't want me to take photos, so I listened even though it was tempting to snap a few when I had the chance :roll2: Needless to say, you were all right. I put the ring on and it was just "me". I am definitely keeping it as is and don't care who thinks it is fake or too much. It did not take up too much real estate on my finger, the halo was dainty enough that it didn't make it any more over the top than a 3 carat already is. In fact, the band is a bit too dainty so I may have to reset into something bigger over time for fear it will get damaged. Insurance is being purchased now. Now comes the wait for when he actually gives it to me and I can share here and with my friends. I felt like gollum from lord of the rings when my boyfriend kept trying to put it away and he hid it so I can't look anymore until he gives it to me.
Willy- we actually got the diamond from an online/local store. I was regretting not trying on larger diamonds in major retailers such as Tiffany, because the diamond district in LA mainly had loose stones and examples of ring settings, but nothing actually combined that I was interested in to see what a final product would look like on my hand. The biggest stone I was able to try on was around 2 carats and it did not have a halo setting. Tiffany tends to carry some larger stones in store with settings, to get an idea of what a 2+ carat diamond looks like on hand. However, I knew I was not going to be a customer of them for this engagement ring so did not want to waste associates time with just browsing.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is wonderful news! The waiting is going to be rough but I’m glad that he let you try it on for reassurance

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do come back and post pictures when you finally can! It sounds amazing and I would love to see it. Glad you are happy with it.

I think most of us here know the struggle of not being able to try on the thing you want before you get it made. We all just have to do the best we can, and often it works out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results