Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kewl but not big enough for Mara!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a rock! Wonder what or how many that will turn into?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Dibs. I've got a $1.50 ready to go.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Fun fact: This 1,098 carat whopper is actually the fourth largest diamond ever found.

Counting them down

1. The Cullinan

The undisputed champion is the Cullinan Diamond, of course, unearthed in 1905 at the Premiere mine in SA. The largest pieces are in the Crown Jewels. The Premiere mine was renamed the Cullinan Mine on its centennial anniversary.

1624034330344.png
Credit: Cullinan Replica Collection

2. The Sewelô

In second-place, at a weight of 1,758 carats, is the Sewelô Diamond. It was also discovered in Botswana, but in the north at Lucara's Karowe mine in 2019. It's owned by Louis Vuitton now, but there's some debate about its suitability for jewelry applications - which is why some news outlets don't account for it in their "top three" reporting.

1624035063898.png
Credit: New York Times

3. Lesedi La Rona

In third place, overall, is the second largest confirmed gem-quality diamond ever found, the 1,111 carat Lesedi La Rona. It also came to the surface at the Karowe mine (go Botswana, go). Purchased by Laurence Graff, It produced 67 diamonds including a 302.37 carat square emerald cut, the world's largest.

1624035929620.png
Credit: Graff.com

4. Debswana's 1,098 carat rough mined at Jwaneng

The topic of this post, it's the largest ever discovered by Debswana Diamond Co, a joint cooperation between DeBeers' and the government of Botswana. It also puts the Jwaneng mine, already the world's richest by value, on the same "largest ever" diamond history podium as the Cullinan (nee Premiere) and Karowe.

1624036028344.png
Credit: Debswana Facebook Page

Attachments

• 1624035738241.png
    1624035738241.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 5

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I vaguely remember seeing in my classwork when I was a student at GIA that it was theorized that there was possibly a larger piece of the Cullinan still in the pipe somewhere and there were hopes that it would someday be found. The theory arises because of the crystal structure of the original Cullinan seemed to indicate that it was just part of a larger crystal.

Obviously, someday has not yet occurred...

Wink

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I vaguely remember seeing in my classwork when I was a student at GIA that it was theorized that there was possibly a larger piece of the Cullinan still in the pipe somewhere and there were hopes that it would someday be found. The theory arises because of the crystal structure of the original Cullinan seemed to indicate that it was just part of a larger crystal.

Obviously, someday has not yet occurred...

Wink

116 years later, and anything could have happened to it. Hidden away in secret and the only person that knew the whereabouts has long since passed, for example.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll add a few words written by Rui Galopim de Carvalho on his LI post yesterday..

"....Further study will reveal the exciting geological and gemmological characteristics of this diamond and, I say, let’s hope that this fabulous diamond may be kept in its rough state for education in earth sciences and gemmology, on display at a top world museum."

My comment was: "Hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears like the Lesedi la Rona did."

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll add a few words written by Rui Galopim de Carvalho on his LI post yesterday..

"....Further study will reveal the exciting geological and gemmological characteristics of this diamond and, I say, let’s hope that this fabulous diamond may be kept in its rough state for education in earth sciences and gemmology, on display at a top world museum."

My comment was: "Hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears like the Lesedi la Rona did."

He can put in a bid. Meanwhile the people of Botswana have every right to get the most possible for it. And the Geologists (I am one) can have a lot more fun with smaller heavily included diamonds. Smaller means they can get better data from inclusions deep within the diamond. more inclusions because it is the inclusions from great depths that are the most interesting - not the diamond itself.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
3. Lesedi La Rona
This video is the planning and cutting and polishing of the Lesedi La Rona.
Note Helium and Pacor developed by our friend Serg and his MBox photograghing and placing inclusions in the 3D space of the diamond.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He can put in a bid. Meanwhile the people of Botswana have every right to get the most possible for it. And the Geologists (I am one) can have a lot more fun with smaller heavily included diamonds. Smaller means they can get better data from inclusions deep within the diamond. more inclusions because it is the inclusions from great depths that are the most interesting - not the diamond itself.

Doesnt mean the people of Botswana wont get the most for it..., as far as I know museums are sometimes the biggest spenders on ultra rarities..., at least for jewelry I know they are.

I also believe such a natural wholly formed diamond of such magnitude will be better served staying put, I also believe its much more beautiful than the 300 ct Asscher Graff so splendidly documented. (no disrespect intended).

The world has plenty of special polished diamonds (their rough get pretty much discovered on a weekly basis)..., I believe its time to preserve some of the real wonders of the world, like this raw diamond for example.

But this is just my odd way of thinking..., I know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results