shape
carat
color
clarity

Work suits

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need a good pant suit. Who makes the best?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on your price point. I think Prada makes nice pants suits that can be more conservative without being too boring. If that is not in the range, I am not too sure, I do not wear too many pants suits, when I wear suits I usually wear skirts.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an Armani skirt suit that''s perfect. Obviously, I need a pant suit for cold days. Enough Armanis for the week would ruin me, so I intend to find a good tailor to copy them.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Armani makes some nice skirt suits. I have not seen many of the pants suits. Most of the other lines I buy would be not conservative enough for office wear...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Theory makes some nice ones that are less expensive than Armani. They''re good staples and the fabric is usually nice and the tailoring is very good considering the price.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Tahari suits are a very good value. Usually between $99 and $160 per suit. Some are even 3 pieces (jacket, skirt and pants). Material and cut is above average. I pick up some great deals at Loehmanns. Since they are not too expensive, I''m not heartbroken when styles change and I need to replace them with a different look. Or sometimes I just get tired of the suit and want something new.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, SuzyQ.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Talbots? Reasonably priced, decent quality, nice fit, and they jackets and bottoms are sold separately so if you''re different sizes (not that you necessarily ARE, I''m just saying this is a nice feature) you can get the size that fits you best in each piece.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 12:26:42 AM
Author: neatfreak
Theory makes some nice ones that are less expensive than Armani. They''re good staples and the fabric is usually nice and the tailoring is very good considering the price.
I LOVE Theory...it bugs me that so many ladies suits have that typical boxy look...Theory makes fabulous fitted pieces that are flattering!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Dee Jay and Mara.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
theory

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Ann Taylor makes some nice ones.....Micheal Korrs....I know I didnt spell that right....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Max Mara, Dolce & Gabbana (skirt suits), and Teenflo (TF).

cheers--Sharon

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

Alexis, you were close enough.
face23.gif

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I think the best move would be finding a local tailor. Tell her your preferences and price range and they should be able make some suggestions. I have three nice suits and I need to have them taken in (I''ve lost 20 pounds since last summer).

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Depends on what you want to spend, but I like to shop at Ann Taylor and Banana Republic for suits and nice work clothes. I haven''t explored the pricier stuff. I also like some of the Jones New York suits. I was shopping for a basic black interview suit last spring and had the hardest time. I did not want a poly blend, and that''s what most stores (even better department stores) were carrying. Banana Republic had a beautiful light wool suit, but the jacket was too long and somehow manly on me (fine on hanger) so I didn''t buy it. Oh well, good luck!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again!

Bujiatang,
Good for you!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t wear suits regularly, but I''ve gotten several from the Limited in the past... they''re more of the Banana Republic/Ann Taylor level of quality... but they fit GREAT, very modern styles, and many different pieces available to mix and match. If you are looking for something classic, you might want to go higher-end... but if you are looking for something a little more trendy, Limited is definitely worth checking out.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky you! Thanks.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love everything from Ann Taylor; especially suits!!!

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Hi there; I''m hoping some of you Theory/Elie Tahari/Lafayette 148 wearers could weigh in....

I''m looking for a new spring/summer suit of lightweight wool. [And getting increasingly cranky about vanity sizing, but I digress.] Inconveniently enough for my budget, the lines that fit me best are the ones above and Nordstrom''s house line.

Anyway: The designs that are out now all seem to have 4-5% spandex. Not a problem in the jacket, but when I''m trying on some of the skirts/pants and seeing some pull across the hips, the sales help is telling me, "No, that''s not too tight -- it''ll relax and slide down some after you''ve worn it a few hours."

True with 2% spandex jeans, but true with higher-end suits? I''m hesitant to buy something that will end up looking too small, and while going up a size gives me plenty of room, it also makes me worry I''ll have Bagged-Out Butt by noon.

TIA.

velvetfist

Rough_Rock
I also 3rd the recc. for Theory! I also like suits from J. Crew, Armani, Nanette Lempore, D & G, BCBG Max Azria, and Rebecca Taylor... have found cute ones from Nordstroms house labels.

If you have some curves, you''ll love D&G or Dolce and Gabanna (if that''s in your budget.) I find that Armani cuts more for a smaller-chested gal.

I''m not crazy about Ann Taylor clothes for some reason...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone. I ruined myself by starting with an Armani, and am afraid I''ll have to continue with them.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Life is rough!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look who's talking.
2.gif

I have 1 Armani skirt suit which I bought at 70% off. I'm hoping to find a pant suit from them on sale, and have both copied by tailors in Asia. Shouldn't be too bad.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
But I am not asking for advice on what to buy when I know what I like!
2.gif

I say, if it ain''t broke don''t fix it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes there isn''t one when you become used to certain things. I tend to be more choosy now, my stuff lasts longer and looks well over time. This is for the main wardrobe pieces, for t shirts etc I am not opposed to any store that has great things. I have been known to go to the kids store here in town and buy myself Petit Bateau in big girl sizes...they are great under anything and feel so soft. I would do that rather than buy a 500.00 t shirt that says Chanel on it. Some things are just stupid to me, and I wil bet the designer laughs all the way to the bank.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to be that way with Tod''s. I''ve started diversifying my shoe portfolio!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results