shape
carat
color
clarity

Words you LOVE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Look at all of these fabulous words!
36.gif

Thanks Holly and AGBF for definitions
34.gif

There is much to learn here. Definitely fun things to say. I knew someone would bust out the onomatopoeia!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
impeccable
ethereal
lucid
shimmer
efficacy
delicate
eternal

...and lots of the ones other people posted!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Great topic Ali!

effervescent
angelic
epiphany
heavenly
bubbles
sparkles
sunny
happiness
glitter
stars
rainy
rainbow
hugs
babe
enchilada

Lori

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
bellissima (and I''m not even Italian!)
yes (for obvious reasons)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love the words, percolate and marinate. I try to use them even when they aren't necessary (or in correct usage).

For example, when trying to convince a friend to do something and they're unsure, I would say, "Well, maybe you should let that percolate for a while."

For the way the word marinate is used in Ice Age 1. I would say, "Hey, let's go marinate in the jacuzzi for a a while."

Even better: "Hey, let's go marinate in the jacuzzi and let our thoughts percolate for a while."
3.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
ocean
cats
babies
laughter
wildflowers
roses
shine
sweet

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
babies
grandchildren
Nana
rainbows
ocean
Lhasa Apso
birds
river
whimsical
magical
twinkle
stars
snazzy
cozy
snuggle
pitter patter
dilly dally
Guten Morgen
whipper snapper
dogs
honey

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Bud - as in friend, someone who''s got your back

Lori

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
fantasmagorical: a bizarre or fantastic combination, collection, or assemblage
zeitgeist
elucidate
gnome
philatelic: stamp collecting
gnu: African antelope
starling
stoat: British weasel

Some words of course come up more than others.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 8:10:31 PM
Author: heraanderson
I love the words, percolate and marinate. I try to use them even when they aren''t necessary (or in correct usage).

For example, when trying to convince a friend to do something and they''re unsure, I would say, ''Well, maybe you should let that percolate for a while.''

For the way the word marinate is used in Ice Age 1. I would say, ''Hey, let''s go marinate in the jacuzzi for a a while.''

Even better: ''Hey, let''s go marinate in the jacuzzi and let our thoughts percolate for a while.''
3.gif

hera -

this cracked me up....

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 8:10:31 PM
Author: heraanderson
I love the words, percolate and marinate. I try to use them even when they aren''t necessary (or in correct usage).

For example, when trying to convince a friend to do something and they''re unsure, I would say, ''Well, maybe you should let that percolate for a while.''

For the way the word marinate is used in Ice Age 1. I would say, ''Hey, let''s go marinate in the jacuzzi for a a while.''

Even better: ''Hey, let''s go marinate in the jacuzzi and let our thoughts percolate for a while.''
3.gif

Ahhh PERCOLATE...in my house to warn my dh about tummy issues...I say my tummy is percolating (he gets it and RUNS FOR THE HILLS)
32.gif

Abril

Shiny_Rock
syzygy

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
The word that I really love is PEACE.

ETA: I love it because of what it means. It's on everybody's vocab and it's a simple word but it is not something easily attainable and not something that is always present, isn't it? You might find it in your country, but you might not find it at home and if you find it at home, you might not find it in the workplace etc.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 9:28:42 PM
Author: Abril
syzygy

hmmmm shame there''s only 2 Ys in Scrabble

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

it''s the 7th longest word in the english language and quite handy if you want to sound overly intelligent. and all of that means black lung disease (or miner''s lung disease)

lethologica (condition of having a word on the tip of your tongue)
triskadekaphobia (fear of the number 13)
arabesque
scintillating
gregarious
penguin
ibex
cajole
caress
sublime
delectable
apricot
kumquat
ethereal
Grecian
exhilarate
precocious
egalitarian
enthralling
lullaby
baroque
igloo

and just because M likes to call me these: angel and most of all belovéd

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I love:

Sunflower ( they make me so happy )
Yellow
Sun
Orchid ( love the combo of letters )
soulmate
Espoir ( its a french word meaning "hope" )
Deliverance

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think my two favourite words would have to be 'defenestrate' (I adore the fact that a word exists to convey the meaning 'to throw something out a window') and 'fuselage' (the body of a plane) just rolls around in my mouth in such a juicy, pleasant way.

Lorelei mentioned another favourite--'ephemeral' (lasting a short amount of time). I love that the word itself has a certain quality to it that makes it sound (to me, anyway) almost as if it sort of dissipates, like the word itself is what it means.

'Phantasmagoria' and 'phantasmagorical' (having to do with shifting, changing images like shadows in flickering light) are also fun words. They just roll around like marbles in my mouth.

The word 'étouffée' is great too--in cooking, it's a Cajun sort of stew, but in the musical world (percussion specifically), it means "dampened," as in muted sound. It's shown up sometimes in my tympani music, and I just think it's great.

Great topic, Ali!
35.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
colloquial
colloquially

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I love quirky descriptive words.

Like instead of "This pizza tastes good"
I''ll say
"This pizza is a marvelously delectable delight" or something it brightens up my day at least

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/5/2009 3:01:02 AM
Author: gwendolyn

I think my two favourite words would have to be ''defenestrate'' (I adore the fact that a word exists to convey the meaning ''to throw something out a window'') and ''fuselage'' (the body of a plane) just rolls around in my mouth in such a juicy, pleasant way.

(snip)

The word ''étouffée'' is great too--in cooking, it''s a Cajun sort of stew, but in the musical world (percussion specifically), it means ''dampened,'' as in muted sound. It''s shown up sometimes in my tympani music, and I just think it''s great.

This was a great posting, Gwendolyn. For some reason when I got married my husband used to make a lot of references to the Defenestration of Prague. It is useless to ask me why. One has to accept these things.

I have to reiterate that when one wants to say a word that sounds beautiful, one need go no farther than to the French and Italian words that are now sprinkled about in the English language. I mentioned that Haven chose the Italian word, "vendetta" as one of her favorites. Now you mentioned the French "étouffée". Someone else had, "nuit" on her list, (although I do not think that, "nuit" is really used very often in American English).

Keep the postings coming! This is a wonderful thread!!!

AGBF
34.gif

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another one. Sounds cool. Just learned it today:

casuistry

Definition: Specious or excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/4/2009 6:27:24 PM
Author: atroop711

Ahhh PERCOLATE...in my house to warn my dh about tummy issues...I say my tummy is percolating (he gets it and RUNS FOR THE HILLS)
32.gif
Around here, that is known as feeling "champagne" or having a champagne tummy. Sounds chic, doesn''t it?

One of my favoureite words is juniper (I like how it trips off the tongue, "the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps").

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
peanut (I think this is the cutest word in the English language)
factoid
serene
chic
kitty
elegance

I''m sure I''ve left out a whole heap.... but ''peanut'' is definitely my favourite!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
glory
jubilee/jubilation
precipice
superfluous
hodgepodge

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 9:40:12 PM
Author: klewis

Date: 7/4/2009 9:28:42 PM
Author: Abril
syzygy

hmmmm shame there''s only 2 Ys in Scrabble
But if you got a blank tile...
2.gif

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
limpid
serenghetti
mesmerize
evening
twilight
stacatto
ricochet
jitterbug

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
wherein
Schadenfreude
undulate

1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have far too many, but some include

Chipper
ocean
serene
essence
clairvoyant
magical
whimsical
fickle
frolick
amber
tropical
impervious

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 10:23:32 AM
Author: atroop711
there are lots but one of my favs to hear or say is MAGMA...just fun to say

LOL i almost engraved my husbands w-ring with this! ahahaha

Hot molten MAGMA
4.gif
2.gif
9.gif

I love J words like Jiggle, Jumble, Jelly, Juggle....sound so happy. I also love words with the letter Q, I think that they sound so crisp.

inquisitive
equinox
Quiche
quintessential

LOL, great thread.

oh and schmorgesborg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absurd. I use it as much as possible, but it''s nowhere near as often as my husband manages to use it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results