shape
carat
color
clarity

Words of wisdom for a little boy on his 9th birthday...what would you say?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Morning everyone
35.gif

Need some help. My nephew''s 1st birthday is on Saturday and his mother (my cousin) asked that every family member write a special something to him in a form of a letter, poem, song, etc. Everyone got different years and I happened to get year # 9. The problem is, what kind of advice to you give a 9-yr-old? I''m stuck on this one, I have to admit...

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
1.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Remind him to be as balanced as he can. Not to spend too much time doing any one thing, but to get up and explore the world. Read a little, play a little, work a little, rest a little.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Well, let''s see. Kids that age often start feeling the pressures of school and fitting in, having the right clothing, music etc. Just encourage him to stay true to what he likes, because the coolest kids are always the ones who aren''t trying to fit in with what everyone else is doing. I wish someone had given me that advice as a child.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
9 year olds tend to be right around the 3rd grade.

I''d let them know that multiplication tables are really important... and to make math fun. ;-)

And that the girls are growing really fast right now, but he''ll catch up in a couple of years!
9.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember being 9. I had a head injury in my 20s and big parts of my memory are missing. I would love to have letters like this to look back on, it''s a lovely thought.

Maybe tell him you love him and that he can redeem the ''token'' on the bottom of the letter for a day out at (insert local cool place/ theme park etc) with Aunty Bia.

Also, if you can put it in a big envelope, how about putting a kid''s magazine in there? Might be fun to have a magazine from 2010, espcially if the publication date is his birthday month.

I''d love to hear what you do.

Jen

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Wow, these are great suggestions!!!! Thank you so much!

This is beginning to look like a lot of fun
5.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
you have already gotten some good advice. i would add to remember he can always go to his mother and father and tell them anything because they love him and will always put his best interest first. and most importantly, "kindness like snow covers everything beautifully."

''

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was that age, my father gave me a card saying "Fly high - I believe in you".

Considering that I was an awkward misfit at that age, it really helped me to know that someone out there believed in me. I still have that card and I treasure it. Thinking of it still brightens my day and makes some tough decisions easier.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:31:46 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Well, let''s see. Kids that age often start feeling the pressures of school and fitting in, having the right clothing, music etc. Just encourage him to stay true to what he likes, because the coolest kids are always the ones who aren''t trying to fit in with what everyone else is doing. I wish someone had given me that advice as a child.
My son is 9 and in 3rd grade and I love to encourage reading. For both my kids 7 & 9, I emphasize that reading helps in every facet of life. That is the route I would take and you can even take a quote from a children''s book if you think that would help you out.

I would NOT focus on the issues of fitting in because the child may not even be thinking about that and bringing up that idea may suddenly have them question whether they do or not fit in and if they''re cool or not.
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 9 is a special time when you are still a kid for real, before being a teen looms large. Remind his to just enjoy his life and have as much fun and play as much as he can.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:46:40 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
I can''t remember being 9. I had a head injury in my 20s and big parts of my memory are missing. I would love to have letters like this to look back on, it''s a lovely thought.

Maybe tell him you love him and that he can redeem the ''token'' on the bottom of the letter for a day out at (insert local cool place/ theme park etc) with Aunty Bia.

Also, if you can put it in a big envelope, how about putting a kid''s magazine in there? Might be fun to have a magazine from 2010, espcially if the publication date is his birthday month.

I''d love to hear what you do.

Jen
Awh,

I love your ideas Mrs. M.

+1

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
when you have a good idea write it down, and write down your hopes and dreams too, you never know when they''ll come in handy

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Squirrly I like that!

Thanks everyone...the input is helping me generate a lot of ideas. Much appreciated!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results