shape
carat
color
clarity

Words of import from our president

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m the commander -- see, I don''t need to explain -- I do not need to explain why I say things. That''s the interesting thing about being the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don''t feel like I owe anybody an explanation.
-- interviewed by Bob Woodward, Crawford, TX, August 20, 2002.

I''m also not very analytical. You know I don''t spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things.
-- aboard AirForce One, June 4 2003.

I kind of like ducking questions
-- at the Associated Press luncheon, Washington, DC, April 21, 2004

Some of the biggest sources of air pollution are the power plants, which send tons of admissions into our air.
-- Wilmington, NY, April 22, 2002 (Earth Day).

And so, in my State of the -- my State of the Union -- or state -- my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation -- I asked Americans to give 4,000 years -- 4,000 hours over the next -- the rest of your life.
-- Bridgeport, CT, April 9, 2002.

And we''ll be tough and resolute as we unite, to make sure freedom stands, to rout out evil, to say to our children and grandchildren, we were bold enough to act, without tiring, so that you can live in a great land and in a peaceful world.... And there''s no doubt in my mind, not one doubt in my mind, that we will fail.
-- speaking to employees of the Department of Labor, Washington, DC, October 4, 2001

loopy.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Matata! Thank you for making me giggle in my cubicle on a long Friday afternoon....much needed break in my day.

BTW- scary that he is our leader and representative to the rest of the world...no wonder my european colleagues make so much fun of us now....as much as people like to denigrate Clinton for some of the choices he made in his personal life, I never got this much negative feedback from my colleagues int he rest of the world. It is just embarrassing.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Despite the fact that these statements are out of context, they are disturbing.
rolleyes.gif

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
i hate how politics have to come up everywhere. i support our president, but i don't (normally) post messages against his opponent, or even post my opinion. because it's one of the best ways i know to piss people off. why bring it up on here? it's not necessary, really, if someone wanted to make you sound like a jacka$$ they could, or me too, and if you don't make any mistakes, maybe you should be president. i'm sure in the spotlight nearly 100% of the time, you would continue to be perfect and not slip up ever. certainly over the course of three years you wouldn't slip up a single time, how dare the president make a mistake in speaking SIX WHOLE TIMES in three years. sheesh. go bash someone else.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
While some of other posts have had some decently interesting and civil discussions on politically charged issues, they have remained polite and adult. Such blatant Bush-bashing, which amounts to little more than grade school name-calling doesn’t have a place at the Pricescope forum. It would be fine to discuss gay marriage, universal healthcare, or the short and long term effects of neoconservative foreign policy and how candidates’ stances will influence your vote. However, isn’t it rather childish to take quotes out of context in order to make someone appear stupid? Anyone could do it with anyone if you followed them around enough and asked them enough questions.

And Jen, you should know that, Americans are from Mars, Europeans from Venus.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
That's what i was trying to say, only said better :)

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
And, as usual, some Americans think they are better than others.

win

P.S. Right now I'm in a country that knows what real tyranny is like, and chose to rid themselves of it. But they don't think they are better than others, nor do they deride other nations for their choices.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
that was the most irrelevant comment i have ever seen. nowhere in this thread does it mention anything about americans being better. does the term "men are from mars, women are from venus" mean men are better than women? no, it just means they are different and difficult to understand.

P.S. insert really vague statement here

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear me, I seem to have offended some arbiters policing PS for the appropriateness of posts. I promise not to do it again. Oh by the way, did you know Mr. President once said: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones you want to concentrate on (Washington, DC March 31, 2001)." Oops, I did it again.

For those of you who recognize this brand of humor when it hits them upside the head:
http://www.thedubyareport.com/quotes.html

Enjoy!

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
"May all beings be happy and free from suffering – even Bush" "May all beings be happy – and freed from Bush."

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=5022

doxiemom

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry but as a geographer this one is hilarious!

I'm thrilled to be here in the breadbasket of America.
-- Stockton, CA, August 23, 2002. Stockton is 60 miles east of the Bay Area, and 25 miles west of the Sierra Nevada, known for watersports on the Sacramento Delta, perhaps, but not much grain production....

Politicians are not any different then celebrities. Your life basically becomes public. And isn't that what America is about? I'm thinking Saturday Night Live.... Being an American doesn't mean we have to agree with or like the current leader. We all have the choice to vote for or against him, no we all have the right to vote for or against him.

And yes I do know something about government. As a city government employee all of my home/personal info is available to who ever wants it. Council memebers, the mayors home address....all you have to do is ask. Working for the government is a choice, if someone doesn't like it they can choose a different occupation.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
" I am dependent on a 15 year old for assistance " - Matata

Everything can be taken out of context to make someone look stupid.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
QuestionsRus-

WHile I accept that almost anyting can be taken out of context to make someone look silly, the comment you posted from Matata doesn't make her look silly. I depend on assistance from many people of many ages- in fact I depend on a 15 year old to catsit while I am on business trips. Even if you just took the first half of that last sentence, it still doens't make me look silly.

What does look silly, is having someone say things that are just WRONG - and believe me there are more things that Bush has stated incorrectly posted on so many sites on the web, that they are too numerous to list here. He is also generally saying these things about his role as president, or about a topic in a speech which should have been reviewed hundreds of times with his aides prior to talking. To think that someone that we set out as a representative of America to the rest of the world can misspeak so often- even to pronouncing Nuclear as nukular- just opens the flood gates of speculation that perhaps he is not too bright.

With less than stellar grades in school- no international experience- and the good fortune to come from a very wealthy and politically connected family, he became our president. I say ours- because he is my president as well as yours. I do not have to like it or him, and I can be happy that no matter what happens at most I have 4 more years of Bushisms to deal with.

The history of our country is littered with pokes at our leaders- in fact before we were an independent coutry, the jabs taken at King George III were one of the best publicized items of the time. And, one of the factors in encouraging the citizenry to ultimately revolt and create the idea that no man is fallible, no man should rule without consequences- even if the consequences are that we question everything he does and point out every mistake he makes.

This post was placed in the most appropriate forum on this site- and while it may not have been the thread you wanted to see, it did open a conversation of a social nature.

Best to all, and yes I am glad we live in a free society, I did vote in the last election, so that does give me the right to say and/or post my opinion of our leaders, and I feel blessed to have that right.

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
If mocking someone's speaking is the worst you can do i suppose that's not so bad. and he must be stupid, since he went to yale and harvard.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to have an adult conversation. I have not mocked your words. You are not a politician who ran for public office, therefore opening yourself up to the slings and arrows that accompany such said post.

I am just saying that there are other reasons for getting into Yale and Harvard than qualifying with grades- he made mostly C's in college, and if it weren't for his family connections and wealth, he would not have gotten in to those schools- he was a legacy student.

Legacy – When a student’s parent graduates from the college to which the student is applying, that student is considered a legacy and as such has a significant advantage over other applicants. Since alumni are responsible for the huge endowments at these highly selective colleges, legacy can become an important factor in the process. It’s only natural that a college would want to continue to make their alumni happy so that their alumni would continue to contribute. The student who applies as a legacy then competes with other students who are legacies. It is not unusual for a highly selective college to accept fifteen percent of all its applicants, but sixty-five percent of the sons and daughters of their alumni. ( Here )

George H. Bush was a Yalie- and Phi Beta Kappa, also star of baseball team.

George W. made mostly C's (and a score of 73 in Intro to American Politics)- and had had a lackluster educational background prior to entering Yale.

Hey, I do know where you are coming from, since I had thought it was pretty absurd to rail on Clinton for his 'Hijinks" (just trying to pur it politely for the crowd- not trying to downplay how awful I think marital infidelity is), since this is something that many politicians, democrat and republican, had been doing since the beginning of time. And I do not know many men that would publicly admit to cheating, so the lying thing sort of didn't fly for me as a reason to impeach. But believe me, I got to see A LOT of posts on many different sites from people crowing the 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman' as a mocking of Clinton speak. If you never mentioned it in a mocking manner that is great, but many did.

So, we all have the right to think the person who is our leader is wrong, for whatever varying reasons, and that is why we vote for whom we vote.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you'd gone to Yale or Harvard, you'd know that there are plenty of dimwits at both places, often (but not exclusively) among the legacy students like Bush.

(Edited to say: I see Jenwill was posting about legacies at the same time I was.)

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
i didn't mean you were mocking me, and didn't take offense, i meant you were mocking bush, and not so much you, but matala. either way, i shouldn't get into arguments about politics, and i don't know why i did this time.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I'll agree with you on the fact that I don't know why I ever get into talks about politics- one of those subjects that is even touchier than religion in most cases.

It seems that those of us who are diehard one party or the other always like to see the good points of our own 'team', and it isn't as if talking about it will change someone over fom the 'darkside' (from whichever viewpoint).

Tha is also the great thing about living in this country- we are allowed to disagree- even vehemently without repercussions from anything , except the other person thinking we might be a nimwit! No jailtime, no banishment, just red faces and high blood pressure!

Hope that none of this was taken too personally by anyone, it is just one of the risks of having an open discussion taht some might be more offended than others. It is also funny how when things are written and read, that the inflection of the writer is often misinterpreted by the reader- we hav eon person here at work that reads all e-mail in an angry tone in their head- even when something is totally innocuous and not meant as a slam.

Peace to all.....
saint.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/20/2004 11:37:25 AM winyan wrote:

And, as usual, some Americans think they are better than others.

win
----------------

Americans from Mars, Europeans from Venus was a rather famous article written by Robert Kagan and it was talking about the rift between America and Europe caused by the fundamental difference of thinking. It was well received on by sides of the Pond.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/20/2004 4:56:47 PM jenwill wrote:

Hope that none of this was taken too personally by anyone, it is just one of the risks of having an open discussion taht some might be more offended than others......img src="https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/saint.gif">

----------------

I don't think that its necessary the open discussion that has taken offense. As myself (and questionRus) have disagreed with the original post, it wasn't just an open adult discussion about some platform, but it was essentially immature name calling that bothers us. If you want like higher taxes and that's why you want to vote for John Kerry, fine, say so.

However, some people should either leave the immaturity at home or post it on moveon.org.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
If you want like higher taxes and that's why you want to vote for John Kerry, fine, say so.
However, some people should either leave the immaturity at home or post it on moveon.org. ----------------[/quote]

Sorry- I thought I had left general realm of immaturity in acknowleging that there are many viewpoints. Thank you for pointing out that my posts had revealed the rampant 9 year old running my life internally- I thought I had kept her under wraps. Sometimes she escapes
nono.gif
. I apologize for any offense.

I will then leave it at:

If higher taxes is what it takes, then so be it. I will vote for John Kerry. Please feel free to vote for whomever you feel is the most qualified candidate- and please notice that I did not point out any of the things that I think will result from a win from Bush in this post.... I think I have now sufficently moved into the adult world, now can this conversation get a little less confrontational?

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
this one time i had green eggs and ham. it was wierd, cause ham shouldn't ever be green. neither should eggs really, but the green ham is what really bothered me. then after i ate it, i had some red blueberries, and had to use mouthwash to clean the dishes. what a crazy time!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 1:59:59 PM questionsRus wrote:

this one time i had green eggs and ham. it was wierd, cause ham shouldn't ever be green. neither should eggs really, but the green ham is what really bothered me. then after i ate it, i had some red blueberries, and had to use mouthwash to clean the dishes. what a crazy time!----------------

Finally- something my internal 9 year old can REALLY relate to.........

...hey Charlie, there's a herd of bees chasing me!
...a herd of bees?
...well, you've heard of bees haven't you?
...yeah...
...well theres a herd of 'em chasing me!

Charlie and Humphrey- channel 2 in the SF bay area on the early 70's...sigh those were the days

questionsRus

Shiny_Rock
lol
1.gif
never heard of charlie and humphrey - that prolly dates me huh

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
If nothing else, our President should at LEAST be able to pronounce Nuclear. (and not Nu-cu-lar)

This insults both parties... all in good humor.
2.gif

www.jibjab.com

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 3:30:31 AM chris-uk04 wrote:

-------------

If you want like higher taxes and that's why you want to vote for John Kerry, fine, say so.

----------------

Well, somebody has to pay for the incredible amount of debt we're in...

What happened to the surplus we had when Clinton's term ended? Oops, i forgot...
11.gif

This game might be extremely insulting to some, so I apologize in advance. For those who are not so easily offended, here's an educational game to play, especially for those who fell asleep during Politics class. My above point will be justified in the Paris Hilton level. I believe she's either the 3rd or 4th "boss" you have to fight. Enjoy.

www.bushgame.com

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Something to consider....Expressions, wording & pronunciations can be regional.

You say River & I say "Rivahhh"

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/22/2004 10:38:16 AM fire&ice wrote:

Something to consider....Expressions, wording & pronunciations can be regional.

You say River & I say 'Rivahhh'----------------

true, but there's no vowel between C and L. My friends from Texas pronounce it Noo-cle-aaArr... they were the ones who noticed it first!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just put "jib jab" into the Google search engine and click on what comes up. Make sure you have your speakers on :).

Deb

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Check out this article on taxes under the Bush regime...
http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/13/news/economy/election_taxes.reut/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results