shape
carat
color
clarity

Wonton Wrapper recipes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I was in Ranch 99 (amazingly wonderful Asian Grocery chain here in Nor Cal) and I thought... wonton wrappers are REALLY flexible I'll pick some up. I KNOW I'll do something with them. :rolleyes:

We'll now they are gonna expire in two days and I've done nothing with them.

What would you do with them (that's relatively easy)? I'm going to the store so ingredients aren't an issue. I can pretty much get anything I need somewhere in this town!

Recipes appreciated!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Veggie wontons
Ingredients
2 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup green cabbage, shredded, or cole slaw mix (shredded green cabbage and carrots)
1/2 cup carrot(s), shredded
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 medium scallion(s), minced
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
24 items wonton wrapper(s), (half a 12 oz package)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage, carrots, garlic and 1 minced scallion; sauté until cabbage wilts, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons of soy sauce.

Place wonton wrappers on a flat surface. Drop vegetable mixture by teaspoonfuls onto center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with wet fingers, fold over one corner to make a triangle and press sides together to seal. Transfer filled wrappers to prepared baking sheet and coat surface with cooking spray.

Bake until wontons are golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup of soy sauce, remaining minced scallion and sesame oil. Mix well and serve with wontons. Yields 4 wontons and 1 tablespoon of dipping sauce per serving.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. Banana nutella huh? Hubby would be over the moon. I might have to consider a few of those (I have 100 wrappers so... not 100 of them so much).

The veggie wontons look good! I have a head of cabbage and getting some shredded carrot is cake. I LOVE that they are baked!

Would love something with meat as well, if any one has suggestions. I have 100 of these things.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
just add chicken or pork to the veggie recipe, and you've got chicken/pork wontons! if you want, add some diced shrimp into the mix... YUMMY!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
another idea is to put ground meat, scallions/green onions, shrimp, an egg, mix. scoop into wonton skin, scrunch so it looks like a satchel, then freeze if you wont eat it right away.

boil chicken broth, dump in wontons, and you have wonton soup.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diced shrimp. Oh.............YUMMY! I will probably end up with pork/shrimp mix added to the veggie. Think I can still use the oven for these if I add meat (I know I could with just shrimp, but with pork not so sure).

I can do 1/3 veggie, 1/3 meat and some nutella ones too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forte Kitty, I do wonton soup often... I use Trader Joes Organic Chicken broth and I add chunks of ginger and lemon grass (which I take out for serving) and some baby spinach in the end. But not really soup weather here so I haven't been in the mood. Love it when it's cool though.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
When I have wonton wrappers on hand, I always have to make DH and I crab wontons with a few of them (or more if we eat them for dinner :bigsmile: ). We first got them at this awesome chinese place, but we dont live that close to them, so we had to come up with our own. Here is the recipe, its super easy to make it your own too.

(for a huge batch, divide it as you need to)

1 package cream cheese
1 large container crab meat (higher the quality the better)
2 minced green onions
I usually add a bit of grated ginger also, but I know not everyone likes that.
1 package of wonton skins

Mix the cream cheese and crabmeat together, very well. Next add the green onions and whatever seasonings you may want to use. Tuck the filling into the wonton, fold (seal with egg or with water, Ive done both) and fry. Eating them with spicy mustard is :lickout: if you like spicy stuff. I love this recipe, its too easy and delicious for my own good.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would either make fried wontons or wonton soup. either way the filling is the same

get some kind of meat -not too much, no more than 1/2 pound and get an equal volume of chinese cabbage (chop it superfine and sprinkle it with salt, let it sit 15 minutes then squeeze the water out. Mix in about 1/4 cup of soy sauce and about 1/4 cup of oil and then add whatever flavorings you want... ginger, garlic (they say no, I say yes!) sesame oil, red pepper, black pepper, salt if you think you need more, green onions (keep in mind to chop things really small so it's almost a paste when all mixed together), really - anything you want! I've made them here with chorizo and cilantro. Not really an asian theme...

can I mention how lucky I am that my ayi makes these for me whenever I want from scratch and she fills them too? hehe! one of the benefits, doesn't quite make up for the toilet situation here though...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about spring rolls? I've never made them but there has to be an easy recipe available on one of the recipe sites.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love spring rolls. I was thinking of vietmanese egg rolls... but I'm not that ambitious.

Trader Joes was out of shrimp! So I bought cooked langostine meat. We'll see how it does. Cehra thank you for the cabbage tip (salt and draining it... I do that to a lot of things but cabbage didn't occur to me) .

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can also use them like fresh pasta to make ravioli or tortolini. Or in a pinch just slice them in strips and toss them in boiling water. voila! Pasta for dinner.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that sounds like an efficient way of using them HH!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have made my own wontons, but it takes a lot of time. If you want to use them really quickly, fry them in some oil for about 3 minutes, then add about 2 tablespoons of water (just enough water to boil off) to steam them in the pan to make them puffy. Then, make a stir fry (in a separate pan), and set the two things at your table. You can make taco-like things (kids might like this) and eat it with white rice.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Apple Wonton

Butter flavor cooking spray
2 medium McIntosh apples peeled, cored and grated [or minced]
1 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
24 wonton wrappers half of a 1/2 package
1 1/2 Tbsp powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon; toss to coat apples.
Place wonton wrappers on a flat surface. Drop apple mixture by teaspoonfuls onto center of each wrapper. Press out all the air and juice. LIGHTLY Moisten edges of wrapper with wet fingers, fold over one corner to make a triangle and press sides together to seal. Transfer filled wrappers to prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.

Bake until wontons are golden brown, about 15 minutes [turning once after 10 minutes]. Serve with Vanilla ice cream or Ricotta cheese sweetened with a little splenda and a touch of vanilla YUM!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I don't blame you, neatfreak!! They make Butterfinger wontons now too....

Taste of Madison is coming up in a few weeks! I can usually restrain myself from ordering stuff that's not in the least bit healthy, but the best part of my day at the Taste is always that cookie dough eggroll... Yummmm! :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My DH just slices them into 1/4 strips, tosses them into boiling oil, and voila! Crispy noodles.

The oil has to be REALLY boiling (a rolling boil) but NOT SMOKING (which is bad) and you separate the strips and drop them in and stir them around. He takes them out with tongs and puts them on paper towels. Some salt and they are an oddly delicious snack with your homemade egg rolls.

For egg rolls we do this:

Bag of cole slaw mix (without the sauce) just cabbage and a little carrot
Some bean sprouts if you like
Some pre-cooked shrimp
Some fresh grated ginger (it comes in little jars in the fridge section if you like)
Some soy sauce, about 1/4 cup I guess
Some garlic powder

Stir fry the whole thing until it smells good and the flavors are melded. Cabbage should be slightly limp but not dead, a little crisp left in it, drain the mixture then wrap clumps of it in the wonton wrappers. Deep fry in oil.

You can tell we're not exact recipe people :bigsmile: but it does turn out pretty well

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
A little late on seeing this thread, but lately I've been making taco bowls with wonton wrappers. Just tuck the wrappers into muffin tins, fill them with a combination of (cooked) meat, beans, cheese, salsa, taco seasoning, whatever you like, then pinch them semi-closed and bake them at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Top with a dollop of sour cream. Crispy and cute as an appetizer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results