shape
carat
color
clarity

Women 45+ years let's talk makeup

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
soocool|1296856727|2843289 said:
I've been using Smashbox Photofinish Primer for the past 2 years and I love it!
Yeah people love that one! I used to use Smashbox and it is pretty good, but see my rant above this comment, Smashbox primer gets a score of 7 on Skin Deep (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product/230884/Smashbox_Photo_Finish_Foundation_Primer%2C_SPF/) I try not to go above a 5 on any beauty products. If you ever feel like changing here are some primers w/ a lower score: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch.php?query=primer

Quick random thing. Have you ever seen the Monistat chaffing cream's in drugstores? Now, it is NOT the yeast infection medication. It's an anti-chaf clear cream (that dries to a very silky finish) that is made by the makers of Monistat. The ingredient list is very short, and that's real good. It has just one active ingredient, the one that all primers do (dimethicone) also there are no parabens in the Monistat, but there are in the Smashbox ;-)

Makeup artists love it & first began writing about it, video girls who do makeup tutorials on youtube began to use it, someone even did an extensive comparison of both and if you go on makeup review sites, people swear up and down by it: http://www.skindeco.net/2009/04/monistat-chafing-gel-vs-smashbox-photo.html
"With Smashbox, the pores did look smaller and forehead lines were smoothen out but the results were not as good as Monistat's. I've even put both products to the test with one side Monistat and another with Smashbox. After a very hot evening and a steamboat dinner, I asked the boyfriend which side of my face looked oilier, he pointed at the Smashbox's side. It would have been exciting enough if Monistat performed just as well as Smashbox but looks like Monistat is doing even better! You definitely can't beat the price either. Monistat's $7.99USD (1.5 oz) from Drugstore.com and Smashbox is a whopping $36USD (1 oz) from Sephora.com."

I know that sounds gross. but honestly it's the packaging. The ingredients are the same ;-)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Cherryblossom, thanks for the link. I will be checking it out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cherry, i see you're as concerned re ingredients as i am. some of the makers of these products have resorted to saying that their parabens are "food" grade.....a paraben is a paraben and that's merely a marketing ploy.

today i tried putting a tad of coconut oil between my hands and rubbing them together then patting my face. i got the "dew" look i wanted w/o a lot of oil. as i said, i used a mere tad. this of course after having done my usual cleansing and layering of moisturizers as well as adding a tad of dr hauska bronzer. i kept checking while i was out doing my shopping chores and i didn't look overly oily but simply glowy. certainly less expensive and better for my skin that most products....and none of that dreaded EDTA that i'm allergic to.

while doing one of my chores i did check out a mineral line of powder and foundation but the look was much more matte than i want....i'm already looking matte!

MoZo

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1296838590|2842934 said:
risingsun|1296836493|2842899 said:
I use Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup. It has nice coverage, without being too thick or matte looking. It has SPF 20, as well.

RS, I kinda like this. From what I can see online, it looks like they have some nice shades with a yellow rather than pink base.

Would you by any chance know how the Renergie compares with the Absolue BX?
The Renergie is the foundation. I use the Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme and the Resilience Lift Ultra Firming Eye Creme for moisturizing. Next time I'm at the Lancome counter, I will ask the SA about the Absolue BX.. I can't wear the Estee Lauder foundation, because the base is too pink/brown for me. The Lancome has always been a better fit.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1296869760|2843515 said:
today i tried putting a tad of coconut oil between my hands and rubbing them together then patting my face. i got the "dew" look i wanted w/o a lot of oil. as i said, i used a mere tad. this of course after having done my usual cleansing and layering of moisturizers as well as adding a tad of dr hauska bronzer. i kept checking while i was out doing my shopping chores and i didn't look overly oily but simply glowy. certainly less expensive and better for my skin that most products....and none of that dreaded EDTA that i'm allergic to.
Makes sense. It's sad because most people assume that the FDA is testing products. I don't think that we have even begun to see the impact of people's lifetime exposure/accumulation of parabens because some have only been put into products in the past 20 yrs. I was honestly SHOCKED when I check all my products & found that they contained at least 1 type of paraben. I think I got rid of hundreds/thousands dollars worth of product from face/body lotion, sunscreen, makeup, shampoo, condition, etc.

You're right about coconut oil! It's amazing. BTW you should cook with it! people think it's bad cuz of the saturated fats, but it's actually REALLY good for you because of the benefits that can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid. If anything it's way better than canola oil (whole other story) Just make sure to use virgin coconut oil, otherwise it may be hydrogenated.

My mom was born in Israel and told me that while growing up all the women (both Israeli's and Palestinians) would use soap made out of olive oil & their lotion was just pure olive oil. She still uses that & she's 59. Her skin looks better than woman 10 yrs younger than her. She does not understand why people here use so many "potions and lotions" She also never colors her hair w/ chemicals and uses these really good henna products. She swears by good sunscreen and has been making me wear it since I was 10. I used to only put it on my face, but a few years ago I started to make sure that I put it on my hands, neck, and ears. She

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Wow, interesting stuff.

I use Stila foundation. Now, I am afraid to look it up. :errrr:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
miraclesrule|1296935965|2844144 said:
Wow, interesting stuff.

I use Stila foundation. Now, I am afraid to look it up. :errrr:

You get your choice, and one of them is to live a totally pure and toxin free life and look really really baaad....or.... ;))

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I use Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup. It has nice coverage, without being too thick or matte looking. It has SPF 20, as well.

RS what other Lancome products do you recommend? I have been looking at their site and I like what I see. My skin has yellow undertones rather than pink and I think their shades will flatter me more than other brands. The next time I am at the mall I will stop by their counter.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
ksinger|1296936604|2844158 said:
You get your choice, and one of them is to live a totally pure and toxin free life and look really really baaad....or.... ;))
That's really not true. We can all do something to live a more healthy life. While we can never fully cut all chemicals out, there are simple things that we can do, especially when there are other options. There are hundreds of lines that are free of these chemicals. Most of Laura Mercier's line is below the score of 5. Sephora carries multiple lines. Everyday more and more brands (even drugstore ones) are coming out with a more "natural" line. Cover Girl has come out with a new praben/sulfate free line (Taylor Swift is doing the ad campaign), Eva Longoria currently has an ad campaign for sulfate free shampoo.

people always assume I'm wearing MAC or Smashbox & ask me for the name of my products because of the rich pigmentation. You can either put it on heavy for night time or super light for day time use, and it lasts and lasts. I honestly see no difference, if anything it's even better than Smashbox or MAC. For lotions/toners/cleansers I only use Dr. Hauschka check out the brands reviews on makeupalley.com for yourself, people love it. The thing is that the more people demand these products, the more companies actually carry them. Like I mentioned, many European nations and retailers have banned these products for years, you can't be saying that all the ladies there look reallly reallly baad :tongue:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

not true, ksinger: i'm over 60 and i pass for 50.......sometimes less. had a woman 10 years younger than me tell me recently she wanted to look like me. then i told her my age......

i've been concerned re ingredients since i was tested as allergic for some of them. then i got really concerned re sulfates and parabens. i reduce them as much as possible.

cherry, i have and do cook with the coconut oil, too. and, of course, all oils are organic. olive oil is fab!

not as keen on sunscreen as your mother. when i do use it, i use that website's info to make my buying decisions.

MoZo

eta: wow, cover girl is making the marketing move!? i'll have to check that out.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I'm partial to Philosophy skin care (Hope in a Jar especially) and Bare Minerals foundation and Mineral Veil. I also LOVE Urban Decay and Too Faced eye shadows.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1296954345|2844420 said:

not true, ksinger: i'm over 60 and i pass for 50.......sometimes less. had a woman 10 years younger than me tell me recently she wanted to look like me. then i told her my age......

i've been concerned re ingredients since i was tested as allergic for some of them. then i got really concerned re sulfates and parabens. i reduce them as much as possible.

cherry, i have and do cook with the coconut oil, too. and, of course, all oils are organic. olive oil is fab!

not as keen on sunscreen as your mother. when i do use it, i use that website's info to make my buying decisions.

MoZo

eta: wow, cover girl is making the marketing move!? i'll have to check that out.

I was just kidding...

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
ksinger|1296959150|2844495 said:
I was just kidding...

hehehe. sorry. I'm apparently uptight about these things ;-)

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1296954345|2844420 said:

Yup CoverGirl has developed their own natural cosmetics line. Taylor Swift is promoting it and it's called Cover Girl Natureluxe Natural Line. It's paraben and talc free and claims to no longer test its products on animals.

Even Wet-n-Wild is getting with it, they just came out with a line of lip balms that are modeled after Burt's Bees. At $1.99 it can't be beat. If people demand better products, the market will provide it

taylor-swift-covergirl-natureluxe-collection.jpg 1264936161551.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1296936873|2844163 said:

RS what other Lancome products do you recommend? I have been looking at their site and I like what I see. My skin has yellow undertones rather than pink and I think their shades will flatter me more than other brands. The next time I am at the mall I will stop by their counter.

I use a combination of Lancome and Estee Lauder products. I like Lancome's mascara, eyeshadow and lip color. In addition to the EL moisturizers, I use Idealist and Perfectionist. My current blush is EL's Petal. The first to give a nice surface to my skin and the second to minimize wrinkles. I would advise you to visit both websites and see what appeals to you and then visit the counters in person. Oversaturated colors do not look good on me. I'd rather use a little extra blush than have to attempt to remove too much color, for example. Enjoy trying on some new products. Both Lancome and EL have additional lines, if these don't appeal to you.

BTW: I really like Lancome's concealer. I have a few scars that I need to hide and I also use it under my eyes. Now, if I can reverse the aging process, I'll be very happy :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results