shape
carat
color
clarity

Woman Punches Bear in the Face

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-08-30/woman-punches-bear-save-her-dog#.TmiUe9SP_Tp

Snippit from the article

...It started out as a typical evening for 22-year-old Brooke Collins. She let her dogs out as usual but this time, she said there was a black bear outside who took hold of her dachshund Fudge. She said she feared for her pet’s life and, in an instant, ran over and punched the bear right in the face to make it let go.

“It was all so fast. All I could think about was my dog was going to die,” said Collins.

“It was a stupid thing but I couldn’t help it,” she said. “I know you’re not supposed to do that but I didn’t want my dog to be killed.”

I like to think I'd be brave and fast enough to react like she did.

9171781.jpg
Michael Penn / Juneau EmpireBrook
Collins holds her dog, Fudge, at her home on Tuesday.
Collins punched a black bear in the snout after the bear attacked
Fudge on Sunday.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1315487298|3012620 said:
http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-08-30/woman-punches-bear-save-her-dog#.TmiUe9SP_Tp

Snippit from the article

...It started out as a typical evening for 22-year-old Brooke Collins. She let her dogs out as usual but this time, she said there was a black bear outside who took hold of her dachshund Fudge. She said she feared for her pet’s life and, in an instant, ran over and punched the bear right in the face to make it let go.

“It was all so fast. All I could think about was my dog was going to die,” said Collins.

“It was a stupid thing but I couldn’t help it,” she said. “I know you’re not supposed to do that but I didn’t want my dog to be killed.”

I like to think I'd be brave and fast enough to react like she did.

9171781.jpg
Michael Penn / Juneau EmpireBrook
Collins holds her dog, Fudge, at her home on Tuesday.
Collins punched a black bear in the snout after the bear attacked
Fudge on Sunday.

In the case of black bears, I think she was ok. Although it's not the smartest idea, black bears are smaller, and generally from my experience, they are more scared of us than we are them, and usually are only aggressive if they feel like their offspring are threatened, or food. I am not sure that the bear intended to eat the dog, but perhaps was defending against it, or defending something it wanted? In any case, HOORAY for Fudge.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bear grabbed poor Fudge on instinct... she punched the bear on instinct... I suspect there were lessons learned all the way around! I'm glad everyone's OK.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1315492167|3012681 said:
The bear grabbed poor Fudge on instinct... she punched the bear on instinct... I suspect there were lessons learned all the way around! I'm glad everyone's OK.

Agreed! I'm glad Fudge is okay and I'm sure the bear was more suprised than hurt over the punch. The good news is that they were all (relatively) uninjured.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Both the dog AND the bear bit her on the thumb...really? But both just left a "mark"... :rolleyes:
Her dog has bear bites but she hasn't taken it to the vet?
I think she has exaggerated things a little but I'm glad both dog and bear are ok.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's certainly a unique story! She's more brave than I will ever be!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly would probably instinctually go to save my puppy too. He's family! So glad everyone involved is ok.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, on face value I am glad she's fine as is the dog and the bear. The skeptic in me is calling BS due to the discrepancies in logic though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results