shape
carat
color
clarity

Woman implanted with wrong embryo through IVF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so ironic - I was going to post a link about this too. I can''t even imagine finding out something like that. However, I must say that they did the right thing and handled it very well (as well as can be expected). The other parents must be so grateful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s so hard. May I ask what happened to the embryo''s that should have been implanted in her?? I didn''t watch the whole video. It just made me so sad.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
They are going to be implanted into a surrogate - apparently she was told that this pregnancy must be her last due to medical conditions.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t this same thing JUST happen somewhere else? I think it might have been in the UK. Not a happy ending on that one as the woman terminated the pregnancy. You can''t help but look at this couple with respect for their decision to carry the baby to term and then immediately hand him off to the custody of his biological parents. They didn''t sign up to be surrogate parents, but ended up doing that all the same.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2009 4:53:58 PM
Author: April20
You can't help but look at this couple with respect for their decision to carry the baby to term and then immediately hand him off to the custody of his biological parents. They didn't sign up to be surrogate parents, but ended up doing that all the same.
Yes, they are good people. What a tough thing to have to go through.

And same thing for the other couple. They must be happy, but also feeling a bit cheated out of the whole pregnancy thing.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I''m 35 weeks pregnant too, and I can''t imagine how hard it would be to do this all for the sake of some strangers'' baby. Still, I know I wouldn''t terminate my own baby or somebody else''s. But it would be SO HARD to deal with the discomforts of pregnancy without the reward at the end. Wow. I hope the clinic will pay for the surrogacy with their embryos and then some. That is a terrible mistake to make.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OMG!
38.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Wow!
23.gif
What a tough situation. I wonder if the clinic will pay for the Savages to have the surrogate implanted with their embryo, when they''re ready to try again? Being that it was the Clinic''s mistake in transferring the wrong embryo, and being that this was her last pregnancy, it would make sense to me.

The biological parents must be so grateful to her for keeping the baby. I could imagine the bio mother felt deprived of the experience of carrying her own baby as well....but in the end they will get a child out of it, and that''s really what matters most, I guess.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a horrible mistake to make. I can''t imagine.

Did anyone else think this play on words was a little too much?
The fertility clinic they had used had made an all but inconceivable mistake and had implanted another couple’s embryos into Carolyn.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 4:53:58 PM
Author: April20
Didn''t this same thing JUST happen somewhere else? I think it might have been in the UK. Not a happy ending on that one as the woman terminated the pregnancy. You can''t help but look at this couple with respect for their decision to carry the baby to term and then immediately hand him off to the custody of his biological parents. They didn''t sign up to be surrogate parents, but ended up doing that all the same.
Yeah, here is the story. So sad. These IVF clinics need to re-examine their lab practices!

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jun/09061509.html

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what happened to the Savage''s biological embryo(s)? Were they implanted in the other couple but failed?

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 8:01:38 PM
Author: Laila619
I wonder what happened to the Savage''s biological embryo(s)? Were they implanted in the other couple but failed?
They''re all going to be implanted into a surrogate. They have five embryos I believe.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 8:01:38 PM
Author: Laila619
I asked the same question a while ago. It just floors me. I think she''s so brave, and admire their strength in all of this. Just boggles my mind.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Wow. There''s always a margin for errors, but wow. I would be heartsick every day if I was carrying what I thought was my baby, only to find out that the child had to be given to the actual mother at birth.

I often wonder about surrogate mothers, and what processes they go through to learn how to disconnect, or whatever it is they have to do, in order to care for and nurture a baby in utero, only to hand him or her off at birth. At least a surrogate knows what she''s walking into, though...

My heart goes out to this family....

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I have nothing but respect and heartache for this family. What a terrible mistake, an injustice really.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Wow. That has to be a hard road to walk.

My first thought was that the clinic had better cough up for the surrogate fees if for no other reason than to minimize the horrible publicity. It also says in the article that the Savages are not naming the clinic that messed up so they have probably already reached a compensation agreement.

But the details of the Savages certainly do make me do a double take- they have three biological children already and the mother had serious complications with two of her prior pregnancies, and now with this fourth one (which is not her genetic offspring.) They have 5 embryos left and were attempting this fourth pregnancy in spite of the risk to Carolyn's health because of their religious beliefs. They are now pursuing surrogacy for their embryos...

I guess this is the awful position that IVF and other assisted reproductive technology puts families in. Of course people end up turning to it when desperate for a child and many people are happy to take the upside (babies!), but then mistakes can happen and leftover embryos and complicated pregnancies... what heartache and grief with the confused parentage. But maybe I am too used to modern medicine and the idea of paternity tests. While IVF and surrogacy might be new, heartache and grief have always been a part of having children, and until recently paternity was not always as certain as some might like.
31.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very difficult.

But what religion would have you do IVF for another child if you health is at risk??? IVF is opposed by the Catholic Church and I think OK or not focused on in the Protestant church...I guess I should read the link.

ETA: OH I get it now, they didn't want to destroy the embryos they'd made, but try to carry them to term. At the risk of her life, rather than donate them to someone else or leave them frozen forever. How sad that she was willing to give her life for embyos and they turned out to not even be hers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results