shape
carat
color
clarity

Wish I could...but I can''t!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there anything you wish you could give a shot, but you just can''t seem to get into it? Things that sound like a good idea and that you would like to do but are icked/freaked/weirded out somehow?

Maybe like sushi, or perhaps sky diving? Just wondering.........................

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could get into eating ''yucky'' things -- like fish with bones and very exotic foods. (Sushi not included... I eat that many times a week!) I''m going into the culinary field (starting culinary school today
36.gif
9.gif
) and I''m still afraid to eat things that are not ''normal.''

I also wish I could get over my fear of heights. It''s pretty horrible...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swimming.
20.gif
Almost drowned in heavy surf when I was 12 and have never tried swimming in large open bodies of water again. Even pools freak me out!

Pretty much any activity having to do with SPEED and the possibility of falling and getting severely maimed: skiing, snowboarding, mountain-biking, etc. Now stuff like team sports....that I can do!

I would love to go on a yearlong trip around the world, but that''ll have to wait until the kids are in college! Heck, even one week away without the kids would be like a dream come true, but unfortunately without either set of grandparents living in the U.S., that will just never happen for us.
15.gif

I''d also love to go to culinary school, BUT I''m deathly afraid of knives. Again with the maiming hang-up, I guess.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m not an ocean person at all. i love swimming in pools, but not in the ocean or anything where it''s big and deep and scary.

also skydiving or bungee jumping or anything like that...i''m SURE i will be the 1 out of 100000 where the rope breaks or the parachute won''t open or whatever.

i never used to be a sushi person really OR into squishy shellfish like mussels or oysters but since meeting greg i''ve broadened my food horizons quite a bit!! i''m much more adventurous re: food...and it''s great because i love food. hehee.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Swimming (major skeeerd of it)
2. Stand up comedy (ditto)
3. Skiing (ow. hurt last time)
4. Sailing/Kayaking/Whitewater rafting (by product of non-swimming)
5. More Hip hop dance classes - (now it''s just ridiculous .. age/weight/lack of coordination)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently I''m claustrophobic. Not like elevators or anything...but I found out while climbing up a very narrow and enclosed church tower in Europe and I started freaking out halfway up. I cried when I got to the top. Thankfully going down was better - I at least had my whole body length''s worth of room in front of my face...as opposed to going up where the winding stairs were literally inches from my head. Unfortunately that has made me scared that it will happen again. So I wish I wasn''t claustrophobic!! I also wish I could eat weird things. Most food things freak me out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could ice skate really well, like pro level.

Yeah, THAT ain''t happening. lol

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Golfing

FI LOVES it. I've played a round here and there, but just can't get into it. I'm kinda wierded out by the clubs and balls. I have this fear that I'll get whacked in the head or something. Silly, I know!

He's talking about getting me a set of clubs and some professional lessons as my wedding gift. ABSOLUTELY not! I'd prefer some bling, please!

Seriously though, I'm gonna give it another shot (hehe) It's been a couple of years, and have never played with him. We'll see...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Gardening! I really wish I liked it so that my yard would look better. I've tried to enjoy it, and I've tried just doing it anyway, but it always ends up on the bottom of my priority list. At this point my goal for the front yard is "not embarrassing", and as for the back yard . . . well, I have three kids and a beagle, and that's the excuse I'm sticking with.
31.gif

ETA: OK, I just read the orginal post more carefully. I'm not freaked out by yard work, I just really, really hate it and wish I didn't.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2006 8:47:29 PM
Author: Christa
Gardening! I really wish I liked it so that my yard would look better. I''ve tried to enjoy it, and I''ve tried just doing it anyway, but it always ends up on the bottom of my priority list. At this point my goal for the front yard is ''not embarrassing'', and as for the back yard . . . well, I have three kids and a beagle, and that''s the excuse I''m sticking with.
31.gif

ETA: OK, I just read the orginal post more carefully. I''m not freaked out by yard work, I just really, really hate it and wish I didn''t.

LOL...well gardening DOES freak me out. I wish I could grow my own herbs, and I probably could...but I hate the thought of digging through anything and finding worms or any other creepy crawleys.

And I refuse to swim in the ocean...but I''ll go diving, go figure. I actually wanted to go diving, but said "over my dead body" when my friend wanted to get certified. A couple of years later, I did get certified because I couldn''t bear the thought of going to the Great Barrier Reef and not trying it. But since then, I have not gone, and I am once again a bit freaked out of going diving...

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
i would have to say skydiving... call it fear of not knowing (and too many cartoons!!) i would really like to do it, but the simple fact that i have to trust someone elses work with packing the chute.....with my life! hard to get over....

maybe someday....

i really want to learn how to fly a sailplane! but the only thing keeping me from that is time and money!
35.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have a major fear of heights and a bad sense of equilibrium... bad combo, I know!

Thanks to this, I won''t:

1) ride a roller coaster
2) climb anything too high
3) dive into a pool... I love swimming, just can''t master the "head first" maneuver. And don''t really want to. I''m anti-"fling myself off" of stuff.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m terrified of swimming, too. Can''t go in the ocean (and living in L.A./working in Santa Monica doesn''t help), and can''t even really go into the deep end of the pool. I''m terrified of wind. Yes, wind. When it gets windy outside, I freak. Ever since I was a little girl, I would think it would blow me to another world (Damn you, Wizard of Oz!). Now my fears are a little different, I''m more afraid of the wind blowing the roof off my house, or someone I love. I can''t get into sushi. Not at all. And I can''t eat chicken that''s been done in a sauce, teriyaki, or whatever, unless I make it. I have a BIG food hangup.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hospitals. the last two times i went in i nearly fainted. i''ve never been a fainter, but i think that''s what it was! i got really sick feeling and had to sit down. it was such a horrible feeling!!! actually anything gross medical related. any talk of specifics REALLY freaks me out. i start not feeling too well.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
This may sound weird, but I wish I could ride a bike... but I just can''t. I can''t seem to be able to keep my balance...
7.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 2:42:04 PM
Author: anchor31
This may sound weird, but I wish I could ride a bike... but I just can''t. I can''t seem to be able to keep my balance...
7.gif

Me too. No balance. And unsupportive family members trying to teach me by yelling at me when I was little.

My FI wants me to take lessons. They have them for adults here. I''m thinking about it but am not ready to tackle that fear/task just yet. Not having the balance is a huge issue.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I'll admit it . . . I'm 35 and I only really learned to ride a bike a couple of years ago.
6.gif
I was a chicken as a kid and nobody made me learn until I was about 10--by then it was so embarrassing I never got good because I didn't want to practice where people could see me. Then a couple of years ago all my kids were riding and I decided it was time to get over it and learn, so I practiced in my backyard
5.gif
until I felt confident enough to hit the street. I still kind of made a fool of myself a few times, but I love to ride now. Just a little encouragement . . . or something.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
wish I was more adventurous in general, about life and nature and stuff. like my creature comforts and luxuries too much!

used to love thrill rides, scared now

scared to base jump, sky dive, heli ski or scuba dive. I am sure they are all amazing experiences but just CANNOT do them, esp now that I am a mom,

won''t ride a motorcycle, seen too many banged up people and lost a couple friends on them

would never eat some of the things I see eaten on Survivor and Fear Factor

afraid of snakes and bugs and creepy crawlers, GROSS

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
also major claustrophobia and fear of heights and flying, and speaking in public...yikes I need to crawl into bed and stay there!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 4:30:36 PM
Author: sumbride

Date: 9/7/2006 2:42:04 PM
Author: anchor31
7.gif

Me too. No balance. And unsupportive family members trying to teach me by yelling at me when I was little.

My FI wants me to take lessons. They have them for adults here. I''m thinking about it but am not ready to tackle that fear/task just yet. Not having the balance is a huge issue.
sumbride and christa - you have no idea how much his makes me feel better! You probably understand how it can feel like you''re the only person in the whole world who can''t do it. My FI told me he''d try to teach me if I wanted. I haven''t touched a bike in over 10 years, so I''m a bit apprehensive. I''ll do it at some point, once I have my driver''s license (
20.gif
). Me and means of transport I''m in control of don''t seem to mix very well...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
scuba - I always wanted to scuba but when I was about 19 my boss died taking scuba *lessons* well he died a few days later... and I''ve been scared of it since!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I wish i had at least some drawing genes, the only jealousy I''ve ever experienced was toward people who have this amazing and unexplainable ability to recreate what they see on paper or canvas.
It''s unfair and irreversible. It sacks! ...never were jealous of people who can sing though, go figure.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My fi likes to tell me that I should never say I "can''t" do something, but he''s not scared of anything!

I wish I could:

Like skiing - my friends (& fi!) go on a 5 day trip every winter to skiing & I never go b/c it''s too expensive to hang around in the lodge. But I just don''t like skiing. I think it''s scary & I don''t get any enjoyment out of it. My fi would love if I enjoyed his favorite sport!

Not get bored with projects halfway through. I always have great ideas, start out in high gear, but then lose interest about 1/2-3/4 way through. I''ll always finish the project (especially at work, eek!), but I''m never as energetic or excited about it at the end.

Be more organized. I''d love to be one of those people who has little folders and labels and always knows where everything is!

Stop biting my nails!

Have great fashion sense. I don''t dress horribly (or at least I don''t think I do!), but I am always jealous of people who just look "put together". I can''t accessorize.

I didn''t realize how many people did not like the ocean! I don''t like the ocean,butI have no desire to want to swim in there - the sand & mystery of what is touching my feet really grosses me out.
9.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ride in elevators. I went into labor in a stuck elevator in a hotel so new that they did not have the over-ride key yet. Fire department had to come crowbar the doors open between floors and pull me out. Never again.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 6:53:32 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I''m not really afraid of anything except for perhaps, properly speaking to a large audience.. I''ve spoken before to about 200 people.. yuck.. and you get all anxious and heart starts pounding and your voice cracks.. yeah.. I felt like a total incompetent...
Oh yeah, the public speaking thing! I don''t mind talking in front of a group if it''s a spur of the moment kind of thing, but when I''m expected to give a Speech of some kind somehow it''s completely different. My husband is convinced that I just need to practice more and I''ll learn to be fine with it, but he''s one of those people who were born with a microphone in their hand.
20.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like heights. However, I have gone skydiving and done (and love) crazy rollercoasters but REFUSE to get on a ferris wheel! Weird I know. I don''t like bugs, I won''t eat them...a la Survivor or Fear Factor...fear would definitely be a factor for me LOL!
14.gif

I love being on the water in a boat, but I won''t go swimming in a lake or ocean. I won''t get into a canoe, but I love whitewater rafting. I do want to go snorkling in the caribbean to see all the tropical fish though.

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
This may sound absurd, but I wish I could parallel park in NYC! We have this giant car (well, it''s big to me) and I wish I had the courage to park it properly but I can''t. waaaaah
8.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 11:27:19 PM
Author: orbaya
I don''t like heights. However, I have gone skydiving and done (and love) crazy rollercoasters but REFUSE to get on a ferris wheel! Weird I know. I don''t like bugs, I won''t eat them...a la Survivor or Fear Factor...fear would definitely be a factor for me LOL!
14.gif

I love being on the water in a boat, but I won''t go swimming in a lake or ocean. I won''t get into a canoe, but I love whitewater rafting. I do want to go snorkling in the caribbean to see all the tropical fish though.
Ooooooh, now you have reminded me how much I cannot stand ferris wheels!! It''s the whole elevator thing again...stuck at the top! (Never been stuck on one, but the fear of it....shudder..) We were on one this summer and it paused at the top, while people got on and off, and I thought I''d crawl out of my skin! -and they rock back and forth when they suddenly stop! EWWW

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results