shape
carat
color
clarity

Wisdom teeth out @ 54 !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Thursday I am having my botom wisdom teeth removed. Something I know I should have done ages ago.
I am so scared, I hate needles, I''m dreading the pain afterwards.
But mostly I''m worried about the dreaded dry sockets I hear so much about.

Anyone have this done at an advanced age like mine?
Anyone ever experience dry sockets?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom was in her early 50s I believe. I am not going to lie. I do believe ALL recovery becomes more difficult with age. My mom also did develop dry socket. I had an excellent experience but got them removed when I was 20. My best advice is not to worry about complications that may never happen. You will be ok.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Ice! Lots of ice! 20 minutes on, 20 off, on each side for the first 24 hours. It did the trick with me to keep the swelling down. You''ll survive and feel better when it''s over. A friend had hers out TWICE - she either had two sets or they removed something else the first time around!

Good luck!

37.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 11:07:20 PM
Author: megumic
Ice! Lots of ice! 20 minutes on, 20 off, on each side for the first 24 hours. It did the trick with me to keep the swelling down. You''ll survive and feel better when it''s over. A friend had hers out TWICE - she either had two sets or they removed something else the first time around!
Good luck!
37.gif
Ditto. Do the ice thing religiously for the next few days. It really makes a difference.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one out last year and I am older - it was very easy so dusting like crazy it goes easily for you! I know I only had the one out but I felt no pain at all during or after the procedure, the area was just a little sore but nothing much. I didn't get dry socket either, follow the instructions you are given and you should be fine.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO straws (and no sucking on anything, period), no hot liquids the first 48 hours. Be very careful eating (avoid the extraction sites) and brushing. This should get you past the dry socket potential.
28.gif

And good luck!

p.s. A good surgeon makes a big difference. Are you having an oral surgeon do it, or a dentist?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You poor thing! I''m afraid to have mine out, too. You will be fine. FIL (he''s 72) just had his out and he did great. Just follow their post-op instructions to the letter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 9:10:39 AM
Author: Ellen
NO straws (and no sucking on anything, period), no hot liquids the first 48 hours. Be very careful eating (avoid the extraction sites) and brushing. This should get you past the dry socket potential.
28.gif

And good luck!

p.s. A good surgeon makes a big difference. Are you having an oral surgeon do it, or a dentist?
Do you remember nursing me through mine last year Miss?
face23.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
thanks everyone. I had my scripts filled today. The pharmacist told me to stay out of the heat, the combo of the meds and temps he said would be awful. Ok !!
Anyway, I know I''m making too much out of it. I''ve been through worse. 11 years ago my BIL (dentist) removed my upper two wisdom teeth. He was/is very
aggressive and pierced my sinus cavity in an effort to get a tiny bit of "root" that was being stubborn.
This time I am seeing an Oral surgeon. He even told me his wife, who is in her early 50''s, still has her wisdom teeth. OMG! She too is chicken he said!
I know the surgeon is good, he has a stellar reputation. I just hate pain!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust your way for a fast and full recovery!You''ll do just fine.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh garsh! MY BIL had his out in his late 40''s did all right. I alterated heat and ice, and still bruised. Oh and don''t eat nuts! Good luck--I''ll think of you while I''m flying to our vacay!

cheers--Sharon

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:01:11 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Oh garsh! MY BIL had his out in his late 40''s did all right. I alterated heat and ice, and still bruised. Oh and don''t eat nuts! Good luck--I''ll think of you while I''m flying to our vacay!

cheers--Sharon
wish I going on Vacay. But I''ll be flying allright! On Gas!!

I now have stopped up ears from sinus. Will it ever stop...uggg.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 12:42:19 PM
Author: Lorelei

28.gif

And good luck!

face23.gif
I do!
41.gif

bebe, your prior experience is why it's always best to have an oral surgeon take wisdom teeth out, and why I asked.
2.gif
Many dentist mean well, and think they can do it, but there's just way too many variables, and unknowns until you get in there (I used to work for two oral surgeons). That's what can happen on top, and the lower ones can have trouble too. I won't go into it, don't want to scare you! It's just best to go with drs. who do this for a living. It sounds like you're in fine hands!

One other note, make sure you get something in your tummy as soon as you can after surgery, and before you start taking your pain meds. They are known for making many people sick if taken on an empty stomach.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 9:44:41 AM

Date: 7/13/2009 12:42:19 PM

28.gif

And good luck!

face23.gif
I do!
41.gif

bebe, your prior experience is why it''s always best to have an oral surgeon take wisdom teeth out, and why I asked.
2.gif
Many dentist mean well, and think they can do it, but there''s just way too many variables, and unknowns until you get in there (I used to work for two oral surgeons). That''s what can happen on top, and the lower ones can have trouble too. I won''t go into it, don''t want to scare you! It''s just best to go with drs. who do this for a living. It sounds like you''re in fine hands!

One other note, make sure you get something in your tummy as soon as you can after surgery, and before you start taking your pain meds. They are known for making many people sick if taken on an empty stomach.
thanks ellen. I know i will be starving by the time I get home. I know I''m in good hands with my surgeon, just scared. I had a horrible reaction with antibiotics leaving my gut with little normal bacteria years ago. I was hospitalized and have had tummy problems ever since. I dread taking antibiotics. I''m loading up on yogurt now!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bebe, I don''t know anything about wisdom teeth, but I am wishing you the very best outcome with minimal pain and a fast recovery!

Maybe you can stock up on your favorite treats at home so they are there for you when you get back. Are you allowed ice cream? Maybe that is a good start! Hope it goes really well!!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I also wish you the best.
However, I assume there is a very serious reason to do this? I still have some of my wisdom teeth at 51 and sometimes they hurt--but not a lot yet. I went to see my oral surgeon and he said, hang in there if you can stand it, because when you''re over fifty and you have wisdom teeth out there is a huge chance that they''ll run into this nerve and your lip will be numb forever afterwards? then another oral surgeon who is a good friend told me that this was true and that he also only recommends removing wisdom teeth from older patients in dire cases.
Were you told anything about this?
I was told that you can live with a numb lip but that it''s uncomfortable enough that they put off the wt operation for as long as they can, when your''e older, to avoid this.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
So I have a question: is it required to have wisdom teeth removed? I have three ( that''s all God gave me) and they have been well behaved, nice teeth which have never given me a problem. Do wisdom teeth go bad for some reason? Do they always need to be removed?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 9:07:09 PM
Author: Black Jade
I also wish you the best.
However, I assume there is a very serious reason to do this? I still have some of my wisdom teeth at 51 and sometimes they hurt--but not a lot yet. I went to see my oral surgeon and he said, hang in there if you can stand it, because when you''re over fifty and you have wisdom teeth out there is a huge chance that they''ll run into this nerve and your lip will be numb forever afterwards? then another oral surgeon who is a good friend told me that this was true and that he also only recommends removing wisdom teeth from older patients in dire cases.
Were you told anything about this?
I was told that you can live with a numb lip but that it''s uncomfortable enough that they put off the wt operation for as long as they can, when your''e older, to avoid this.
Yes, my surgeon did tell me this info. Mine do have to come out. One has broken the surface and the threat of decay and infection is very high. Also they are pushing my other teeth forward. Can''t have that ;-)

thanks everyone. I don''t want to do this, but my regular dentist has been after me for 3 years to do this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck today bebe!!

To answer beacon, no, they don''t always need to come out, but sometimes they do for various reasons, bebe''s being one of them. As for the lip going numb, that can happen if the root on the lowers wraps around the mandibular nerve as it (the root) grows. Trauma to the nerve in the process of extracting the tooth "can" cause permanent numbness. Sometimes it''s only temporary, and many times, with a good surgeon, even if they are wrapped around, everything goes fine (usually the case). All lowers don''t do this. Some teeth never grow a real root, they can be anything from just a tooth without real roots (almost like a bulb), to a tooth with very short roots. They are very unique!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Good luck Bebe - hope it is going well (and over soon!)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Said a prayer foryou today, Bebe.
Let us know how it turned out.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Do not EVER do this at 54!!

Ugh! The Dr. said it was challenge and he had to work extra hard and be very careful.
Anyway, no fun.
They gave me gas to quieten me down - the big talker that I am. I kept asking all sorts of questions
and the Dr. kept saying, breathe deep. He was laughing and joking that I''d be in there all day if I didn''t shut up.
The nurse turned the gas up and I was out.
Have no idea how long it took, maybe 1 1/2 hrs.
Anyway, got home, iced down my jaws and took the pain meds.
The next go around of pain meds made me sick as a dog. The apple sauce I tried to eat
burned the incisions. I was such a wreck. Today is better. I will not take anymore pain meds.
I am using Tylenol and Advil per the Dr.''s instructions. On the mend, but still have a ways to go.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 10:26:28 PM
Author: Beacon
So I have a question: is it required to have wisdom teeth removed? I have three ( that's all God gave me) and they have been well behaved, nice teeth which have never given me a problem. Do wisdom teeth go bad for some reason? Do they always need to be removed?
My wisdom tooth broke in half Beacon so that is why it had to come out, apart from that I have not had trouble. Hope you feel better soon Bebe!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:57:23 PM

Date: 7/14/2009 10:26:28 PM
Author: Beacon
So I have a question: is it required to have wisdom teeth removed? I have three ( that''s all God gave me) and they have been well behaved, nice teeth which have never given me a problem. Do wisdom teeth go bad for some reason? Do they always need to be removed?
My wisdom tooth broke in half Beacon so that is why it had to come out, apart from that I have not had trouble. Hope you feel better soon Bebe!
Beacon, both my bottom wisdom teeth were moving forward. My dentist said this is common as we age. One had broken the gum surface and was sooner or later going to present a decay problem and an issue with the molar next to it.

I am glad they are out, but what an ordeal. Both of my kids had all 4 of their wisdom teeth out at once. OUCH But I guess at 19, that''s a lot eaiser.
thanks Lorelei.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 12:53:34 PM
Author: bebe

Ugh! The Dr. said it was challenge and he had to work extra hard and be very careful.
Anyway, no fun.
They gave me gas to quieten me down - the big talker that I am. I kept asking all sorts of questions
and the Dr. kept saying, breathe deep. He was laughing and joking that I''d be in there all day if I didn''t shut up.
The next go around of pain meds made me sick as a dog. The apple sauce I tried to eat
burned the incisions. I was such a wreck. Today is better. I will not take anymore pain meds.
I am using Tylenol and Advil per the Dr.''s instructions. On the mend, but still have a ways to go.
Aw, I''m sorry!

bebe, if the otc stuff is working for the pain, fine. But if not, there are other scripts that might not make you so sick. What did he initially give you?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 1:52:45 PM

Beacon, both my bottom wisdom teeth were moving forward. My dentist said this is common as we age. One had broken the gum surface and was sooner or later going to present a decay problem and an issue with the molar next to it.

I am glad they are out, but what an ordeal. Both of my kids had all 4 of their wisdom teeth out at once. OUCH But I guess at 19, that''s a lot eaiser.
thanks Lorelei.
Yes. And that''s why I have had my kids out already, after seeing what older people go through.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 1:53:11 PM

Date: 7/17/2009 12:53:34 PM

Anyway, no fun.
Aw, I''m sorry!

bebe, if the otc stuff is working for the pain, fine. But if not, there are other scripts that might not make you so sick. What did he initially give you?
Ellen, he originally gave me Hydrcodone for pain and Promethazine for nausea. I had maybe 1/4 cup of chicken broth down before I took both meds, but
about 20 minutes later, I got the chills, hot flashes and then throwing up. Never again! The pain is so much better now, I''m just doing Advil, then 4 hrs later Tylenol.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear you are through the surgery and that your pain is moderating. Congrats! Hope when you feel better you go and do something really nice for yourself.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hope you are AOK!!

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 8:10:44 PM
Ellen, he originally gave me Hydrcodone for pain and Promethazine for nausea. I had maybe 1/4 cup of chicken broth down before I took both meds, but
about 20 minutes later, I got the chills, hot flashes and then throwing up. Never again! The pain is so much better now, I''m just doing Advil, then 4 hrs later Tylenol.
Ew, that wasn''t near enough.
40.gif

The Hydrocodone is what the docs I worked for normally prescribed too. Glad the otc stuff is working. Hope you mend quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results