shape
carat
color
clarity

Winter gloves over a ring??

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
How do you wear winter gloves over a large and/or high set engagement ring? Tips? Tricks? Ideas? I live in Canada and need to wear gloves for a good chunk of the year for even short trips outside...

How do you ladies manage this?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
My SIL was told by her jeweler to turn her ring around when wearing gloves to avoid stressing the prongs.
It probably depends on both ring setting, size, and gloves.

I typically don't wear my solitaire daily in the winter for this reason.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is when I generally wear just a band and leave the ER at home.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
I have worn mittens and turned the ring into my palm.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking mittens as well but I like my gloves because the thumb and forefinger has a special tech patch that allows me to operate my iPhone without taking the glove off. Anyone seen mittens with the same thing?

I guess I could just wear regular mittens and wear one of those tech gloves underneath the mitten but on my right hand only. Since I only use my right hand to operate my phone anyway. But is it weird to have only a mitten on my left hand but both a mitten and a glove on my right??

Somebody needs to design a pair of gloves to accommodate clunky rings.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Harpertoo said:
My SIL was told by her jeweler to turn her ring around when wearing gloves to avoid stressing the prongs.
It probably depends on both ring setting, size, and gloves.

I typically don't wear my solitaire daily in the winter for this reason.

Do you mean turn it sideways? Or in toward the palm? I don't actually see how that would help your ring fit within a glove though? I mean it's a pretty uniform tube like shape right?

I don't want to leave my ring home for the entire winter. :( Winter in Canada is loooooong!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear mittens when it's really cold. Or I wear slightly big gloves. Or I wear my ring a bit sideways (but never turned to the palm!) and accept that my gloves have a strange 'glob' in the leather :D

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Since I am from the midwest, I wear gloves daily for our long winters. While my current ring has a low setting, my last ering was very high profile. The only time the high profile was annoying was when putting the gloves on, but it was fine once on. I don't wear tight gloves though, mostly North Face. Also, don't buy gloves super fitted. I even wear leather gloves, but I buy them loose. I am with you, not wearing an ering is simply not an option!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If larger gloves won't cut it, maybe consider one of those necklaces that you can put your ering on/off easily, and just put it on there when you're outdoors between places. Might be a bit of a pain, but at least you will have your ering, and a good excuse to have another piece of jewelry. :D

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn said:
If larger gloves won't cut it, maybe consider one of those necklaces that you can put your ering on/off easily, and just put it on there when you're outdoors between places. Might be a bit of a pain, but at least you will have your ering, and a good excuse to have another piece of jewelry. :D

Do you mean just a regular chain? Or something else? How do you get your rings off without undoing the whole chain?

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
When I wear finger gloves (on days I don't wear mittens), I don't slide my left hand all the way into the fingers. The ring doesn't press into the finger section of the glove and I palm the ring. If I'm wearing the ring in a glove/mitten, I don't do anything like shoveling, gripping, etc.

Maybe do that with your tech gloves. Right glove on for tech use; left glove slightly not all the way on to the fingers to protect the ring but coverage for warmth.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Also, I palm my ring into the glove/mitten so as not to snag the prongs on any material/knit. My gloves/mittens are pretty smooth material-wise on the inside though.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
metatrix|1402847357|3693642 said:
JoCoJenn said:

Do you mean just a regular chain? Or something else? How do you get your rings off without undoing the whole chain?

Check this thread out ... It's like a charm that has a hinge opening to slide rings on & off.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-holder-necklace-tiffany-charm-enhancer-no-more.189523/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-holder-necklace-tiffany-charm-enhancer-no-more.189523/[/URL]

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
sweet_blossom said:
When I wear finger gloves (on days I don't wear mittens), I don't slide my left hand all the way into the fingers. The ring doesn't press into the finger section of the glove and I palm the ring. If I'm wearing the ring in a glove/mitten, I don't do anything like shoveling, gripping, etc.

Maybe do that with your tech gloves. Right glove on for tech use; left glove slightly not all the way on to the fingers to protect the ring but coverage for warmth.

Great idea! And so simple.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn said:
metatrix|1402847357|3693642 said:
JoCoJenn said:

Check this thread out ... It's like a charm that has a hinge opening to slide rings on & off.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-holder-necklace-tiffany-charm-enhancer-no-more.189523/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-holder-necklace-tiffany-charm-enhancer-no-more.189523/[/URL]

Where do I find one that is not already sold or discontinued though?

I guess I could have one custom made to suit my style.

perila

Rough_Rock
Ooo,i always have this problem because i like big rings.. :tongue: I just put it in my bag and when itake off the gloves i put it... :twirl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't. I do not wear rings with gloves, ever.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
metatrix|1402851804|3693672 said:
Where do I find one that is not already sold or discontinued though?

I guess I could have one custom made to suit my style.

You could have one custom made, or google "ring holder pendent" or "ring holder necklace" and browse available options.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
pandabee said:
I have a wishbone necklace like this one to use for winter so I don't have to wear a glove over my ring. I like it because it doesn't look like a ring holder necessarily. https://www.etsy.com/listing/103518184/make-a-wish-modern-silver-wish-bone

Ok for the life of me I can't figure out how that is supposed to hold a ring. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious here, but please explain how that can function as a ring holder??

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Look up Emily c, thy have a video that shows how to do it. Basically your ring goes on one "leg" and wrap the ring over the top while pulling the chain with it. Keep turning the ring toward the other "leg" and the chain will be released...like magic :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear leather gloves in the winter and palm any high set rings. There is more space in the fingers on the palm side. I try not to grip anything tightly.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
I wear fitted leather gloves and turn my ring towards my pinky, but not palmed ... That seems to stretch the leather the least, and just accept having a little bump stretched out in the leather. You can avoid putting your hand totally inside the glove to minimize that bump.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just cut a hole on the glove of my ring finger... :praise:

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I like what Dancing Fire said. That is what I would do!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would expect yarn from knitted mittens would be MUCH more likely to snag a prong than leather or a tightly-woven synthetic glove liner.

I would never wear knit mittens over a diamond in a prong setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results