shape
carat
color
clarity

Wink is going to have a wonderfully busy Summer this year

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As many of you know, I spent ten days in Portugal last summer, and loved every minute of it. This June I am going to go back to Europe with ten days in the Tuscany region of Italy, for which I have been studying Italian since last December. I will not be as fluent as I am in Portuguese, but I will be able to order food, beer, and find out where the bathroom is... (Hey, when you are a geezer, this becomes more and more important.)

At the end of my time in Italy, I will go back to Portugal and meet with several on line photographer friends who I have not met in person yet.

Near the end of the summer I will spend five days in South Dakota photographing the night skies, provided mother nature is kind enough to let me see them.

Then in Early September I am flying back to Italy for a nine day trip to the Dolomites in Northern Italy. This will actually be a photographic workshop with two instructors, one of whom I have taken some on line courses from already. I expect to get some incredible photographs while I am there, and I will try to share many of them with you here. I miss being here on a daily basis, and I read a LOT of threads I do not respond to. These are indeed interesting times for on line vendors and buyers, with it being harder and harder for each to earn the other's trust.

Tomorrow will be the one year Anniversary of Resa's passing. I still miss her horribly and often revel in the memories of our fifty years together.

I was waling in the rain with my dog yesterday, I call this, "Spring has Sprung...

A leak!

4D91FA91-532A-409B-B735-99A178CEA99D_1_102_a.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spring has sprung
have a wonderful trip(s) Wink
we will all look forward to the photos

Im sure Rose will be with you in spirit on your travels,
enjoy it twice as much for her =)2

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's wonderful that you have so many trips planned. Italy is one of my favorite places and I have tried to learn some Italian over the years but I have absolutely no facility for languages, although I can read it better than I can speak it. I can't wait to see your photos. They are usually so beautiful. Enjoy all of your adventures and post as many photos as you can please!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You had me at Tuscany =)2 Your summer sound fabulous, sending PS dust your way for clear skies, sunny days, starlit nights, exciting adventures, and new friends.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a wonderful plan! Hope you enjoy every moment of it. I am sure you miss your wife very much, but am glad to know that you are trying to move forward in spite of the loss. I am sure your wonderful memories are a comfort to you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds kicken kewl!
Looking forward to the pictures!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
A new adventure! Somewhere, she smiles.

Well, all I'll ask is if you have another bout of shenanigans that's extra funny, drop us a line and a picture. They're great to read. I hope it brings you joy.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Safe travels. How wonderful that you had fifty years to share with your wife. Sorry that you are hurting for the loss; you seem to have planned your journey around spending time with people and practicing your art. Hope these things will bring you joy.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your trips!

Spring is still struggling to start in my part of UK, and I am preparing my first camping trip of the year over the Easter weekend as a cold weather trip. :roll2:

DK :))

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy! I’ll be working (and playing) in Italy too this summer! I have never been to the Dolomites - that’s on my wish list.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's wonderful that you have so many trips planned. Italy is one of my favorite places and I have tried to learn some Italian over the years but I have absolutely no facility for languages, although I can read it better than I can speak it. I can't wait to see your photos. They are usually so beautiful. Enjoy all of your adventures and post as many photos as you can please!

Thank you. I am reminded of when my eighth grade Latin teacher told my mom never to let me take another language class as I had absolutely no aptitude for languages. Now I speak pretty good Portuguese, poor Spanish as it is badly mixed with my Portuguese, a tiny bit of German, slightly more French, and am able to have stilted conversation in Italian. I know this because I met a lady walking her dogs on the ditch bank the other day who came to the States from Italy some years ago. We laughed and enjoyed a ten minute conversation in Italian, with her offering me many corrections. I used to speak four or five hundred words of Japanese, but I have forgotten all but a few of them as I have not had the occasion to speak Japanese for nearly fifty years.

I will say that my study of Italian has helped keep this old man's brain a little more focused. That alone is reason enough to keep me studying each day.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You had me at Tuscany =)2 Your summer sound fabulous, sending PS dust your way for clear skies, sunny days, starlit nights, exciting adventures, and new friends.

Thank you. As always, you have kind words to share. I also like your new avatar. I think some of the crows here have read this book as they are always trying to do so...

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sounds like a wonderful plan! Hope you enjoy every moment of it. I am sure you miss your wife very much, but am glad to know that you are trying to move forward in spite of the loss. I am sure your wonderful memories are a comfort to you.

Thank you. When my children tried to convince me to move to a smaller house, I explained that I have too many memories here to take to a new place and I love this house where Resa and I raised them both.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
One year tomorrow. If you've made it a year, you'll survive. It sounds like you're busy and involved as Resa would have wished. Fifty years, what a gift!

Thank you, I have led a truly blessed life, and Resa was my biggest blessing.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That sounds kicken kewl!
Looking forward to the pictures!!!!

Thanks Karl. I will post my favorite Milky way shot when I finish saying thank you this morning to all of the wonderful people who have sent me kind wishes.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A new adventure! Somewhere, she smiles.

Well, all I'll ask is if you have another bout of shenanigans that's extra funny, drop us a line and a picture. They're great to read. I hope it brings you joy.

Thank you and thank you for making me smile and laugh with your fantastic avatar. You are correct about my shenanigans bringing me joy. I meet so many wonderful people, no matter where I go.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Enjoy your trips!

Spring is still struggling to start in my part of UK, and I am preparing my first camping trip of the year over the Easter weekend as a cold weather trip. :roll2:

Thank you.

Brrr. I have a hammock coming with a tent built around it. I can close it to keep the bugs out with only the screen, or I can close the tent to keep warm in inclement weather. I can tie it between two trees or use the frame that is coming with it. I expect to get a lot of use out of it during the late Spring and in July and August this year when I am back from Italy and Portugal. As a veteran I get free access to all of the National Parks and I intend to spend many nights in them!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Enjoy! I’ll be working (and playing) in Italy too this summer! I have never been to the Dolomites - that’s on my wish list.

Thank you. I lose my breath just looking at photos of the Dolomites. I can hardly wait until I am taking my own photos of them. I will be spending three nights in three different rufugios at the top of the mountains, reached via chair lifts. Imagine, easy access to the top of the Italian world with panoramic views to remember for a lifetime.

What work will you be doing in Italy?

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Okay, wow! Thank you to the many who left supportive comments. Here is one of my favorite photos of all time, the Milky Way above Stanley Lake in Idaho. I hope you all enjoy it a fraction as much as I enjoyed taking it.

Stanley lake Milky Way.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Please travel far and wide, but always come home. Cuz we miss you also. Hugs and healing vibes across the miles.

kind regards--Sharon

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi Wink!
I'm so happy you're coming to Italy!
You'll visit wonderful places because both Tuscany and Dolomites are beyond beautiful...I'm sure you'll have a great time!
You also chose the right months to visit.
June is perfect for Tuscany: it's hot but it's bearable; surely it's not as crowed as in July and August. If you visit Florence, pay attention to pickpockets.
September in Dolomites is fabulous: the changing color mountains, the crisp morning air, the smell and the taste of apples just handpicked from the apple trees...
...but ...Italian won't be very useful in Dolomites because in this part of Italy people speak German!:lol:
Most of Dolomites people understand Italian and speak it, but they prefer to speak Austrian German as they consider it as their "mother tongue".

Wishing you wonderful Italian holidays!
purplesilk

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI:

Please travel far and wide, but always come home. Cuz we miss you also. Hugs and healing vibes across the miles.

kind regards--Sharon

Thank you Sharon, It is always nice to talk with you again. I actually am doing pretty well, I think. I am finding life to be exciting and I am loving traveling. One of these days I need to make it to Canada too.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink!
I'm so happy you're coming to Italy!
You'll visit wonderful places because both Tuscany and Dolomites are beyond beautiful...I'm sure you'll have a great time!
You also chose the right months to visit.
June is perfect for Tuscany: it's hot but it's bearable; surely it's not as crowed as in July and August. If you visit Florence, pay attention to pickpockets.
September in Dolomites is fabulous: the changing color mountains, the crisp morning air, the smell and the taste of apples just handpicked from the apple trees...
...but ...Italian won't be very useful in Dolomites because in this part of Italy people speak German!:lol:
Most of Dolomites people understand Italian and speak it, but they prefer to speak Austrian German as they consider it as their "mother tongue".

Wishing you wonderful Italian holidays!
purplesilk

Thank you Purplesilk. Sounds like you are an Italian. Where do you live in Italy? What do you do there?

I am thinking about studying German after I finish my June trip to Italy, as I have heard the northern part of Italy speaks mostly German. I am using both Pimsleur and Duolingo for my language studies. Both of them offer German, but not Austrian German. What are the main differences between the two?

I am so excited to see your beautiful country, twice in one summer/fall. What a splurge! I am especially excited that I will spend three evenings in different refugios that we will reach by riding a chair lift to the top of the mountain. The sunsets and sunrises are going to be incredible!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

This is utterly fantastic, @Wink! It's otherworldly and so, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Your trips sound wonderful, and Resa will be in your heart, and right with you.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
There are slight differences (accent and vocabulary) between German and Austrian German, like British English and American English.
The northern part of Italy speaks mostly Italian: German is spoken only in Trentino Alto Adige's Dolomites, while Italian is spoken in Veneto's Dolomites...don't worry too much about language: Italian hosts speak basic English, though Italian people appreciate very very much the effort tourists do in speaking Italian language.
I'm Italian, born and raised in Veneto which is a heterogeneous region that goes from Venice, vineyard hills, ancient Rome buildings and ruins, Palladio's villas and part of Dolomites.
(I'm currently living in a village near Vicenza, a city which is known for both Palladio's villas and international jewellery exibitions).
You'll be surprised by the huge differences between Tuscany and Dolomites: different Italian accent, different cuisine and different architectural style!
I'm sure you'll be fine: Dolomites fresh air, sunrises and sunsets recharge body and soul!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a veteran I get free access to all of the National Parks and I intend to spend many nights in them!

You are a lot braver than I!

I don't camp anywhere remote for concerns about personal safety, as well as the need for comfort.

This means camping with electric hook up and sites with on-site wardens 24/7.

Besides, I need to stay continuously contactable for my line of work (hopefully only for another 8 years), therefore, I can't stay anywhere without mobile phone signal.

Going wild camping sounds idyllic, however, it is not for me.

Enjoy!

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your trips sound wonderful, and Resa will be in your heart, and right with you

Thank you. I am excited for the trips, and you are right, Resa is always with me.

I will hopefully have lots of wonderful pictures to share after my trips. In the meantime, here is another from the Stanley area, this one is little Redfish Lake.

Little_Redfish_Lake.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results