shape
carat
color
clarity

Winery proposal plan

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I thought I'd run my upcoming proposal plans by all of you and maybe get some last-minute feedback. Our dating anniversary is this upcoming weekend, and I've decided to go all out for the long weekend and also take the opportunity to propose. Our first date(ish) included a trip to wine country and we loved one of the wineries we visited with a particularly awesome wine cave. So, that seems to me like the perfect place for a proposal.

I want the whole thing to be as much of a surprise for her as possible. She believes that we are going on a long weekend trip, but I haven't told her where. I've also told her that on Friday night before the long weekend, we're going to start off with a nice anniversary dinner at a fancy restaurant. Without further ado, here's the plan:

In the late afternoon, we'll be leaving for our dinner, taking our packed bags with us. Instead of going to our car, we find a stretch limo waiting for us. I still don't tell her what we're doing or where we are going. The limo takes us to the winery, and I tell her that I've arranged a special private tour (I've actually rented the entire winery for the night). We are invited to a garden where hors d’oeuvres and wine are served. The winery staff takes us for a short tour around the property and leaves us alone for a bit at a romantic vista point. This is where, while we are enjoying the view, I get down on one knee and propose, ring in hand.

Once she says yes (hopefully!!!), my photographer will come out from the nearby location where they are hiding and takes some photos to capture the moment. We'll then have more posed photographs taken at various locations throughout the winery. Ultimately culminating in a tour/photo-op in the wine cave. I'll tell her that we can take the tour of the cave and get some photos there, but we'll need to leave for dinner soon (a total lie).

While going through the cave and taking photos, we'll come across a long set of tables in place, with candelabras and votive candles. As we walk past this set of tables, there will be a special table for two set that will obviously be for a private dinner. We are then seated for dinner and a waiter will serve our meal. After we finish our dinner, we will take a final walk through the grounds back to our limo where we will depart for the night.

The limo will then take us to a nearby hotel & resort, where I have already checked in earlier in the day. We'll retire to our room and enjoy the last bits of our night. The following day (Saturday), we'll have a relaxing brunch and then spend the day in their spa facility which includes natural hot springs and various other spa stuff (I'm a guy, I don't know much about this bit). I've booked a 90-minute couples massage later in the afternoon. Following that, dinner at the hotel restaurant and perhaps a walk around the grounds.

On Sunday, we'll have the day to ourselves and maybe do a bit of touristing. I am arranging to leave my car at the hotel when I check in early on Friday, so it will be available to us during our stay there. Sunday night will be our final night at the hotel, and after a last, leisurely breakfast on Monday morning, we'll check out. From there we'll either do some last-minute sight-seeing or drive straight home, as our mood dictates. Finally, if we have the energy on Monday evening, we'll finish off our long weekend with some evening fireworks in the city.

So, that's the big plan. Most of the arrangements have already been made, but last minute suggestions on the details is welcome (as is confirmation that I'm on the right track ;-) ).

Some things I've learned while putting this together:
  • Booking a large venue like an entire winery for a 2-person event is non-trivial, even if you're willing to cover their minimum.
  • Hiring caterers for a 2-person seated dinner in a cave is non-trivial, but good ones are willing to work with you on it.
  • My company employs a corporate concierge department and offers that service as a perk to employees. That perk rocks!
  • Most people involved in the process are actually pretty supportive and super-excited about this event, despite it being below-average revenue for them. I think that's somewhat awesome of these people.

In addition to general feedback, a few specific questions for anyone willing to help me out:
  • What shall the attire be for the evening? A friend has suggested that it will be "semi-formal" with me wearing a suit and tie. To be honest, I'm not sure if that might not be overkill, and it's not all that like me. I was originally thinking maybe a dress shirt and slacks. Perhaps as a compromise, a suit but no tie? Or maybe sport jacket and slacks? I'm not at all good at this part.
  • The winery has offered to play music for us in the cave (once we are seated for dinner). They will play from an MP3 player if we wish, or they can play their own stuff (like soft jazz, for instance). I hadn't really thought about what to play, but I can't imagine we have anything so important that we need to play something of our own. Should I tell them to just play soft jazz, something else, or no music at all?
  • Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Before I start... this had better really turn out well for you... because otherwise:

A) the rest of us guys will have to go to some ridiculous means to outdo this plan in order to feel secure

B) you're gonna have a tough time fighting off some of the ladies on the forum

I meant that in the best possible way :saint:

Ok, as for your plan, it sounds wonderful. I'm a guy, so I won't gush, I'll just put a few doubts in your mind.

1) Is travelling in a limo very you? Depending on whether you want to keep the suspense up and make her dizzy trying to guess (or if she's likely to second guess you) this might work. More than likely, the 'game' will be up once the limo arrives in the sense that she'll be constantly second guessing when you are going to propose from that point on. Women have fairly good intuition when guys go all out suddenly, unless you're a very eventful sorta guy. So if you want her on the edge of her seat all the way this is good. If you want her blissfully ignorant till later when you surprise her, perhaps not as much

2) I think you should dress appropriately to match her, and to enjoy the night. If this is your Only photoshoot, then a suit and tie etc might be fine. But I would guess there might be another session where your partner can doll herself up appropriately for photos that will last an eternity, so for the night I think you should wear her favorite clothes on you? Whatever she loves to see you in... you know, that shirt that always elicits a small smile when she looks at you changing?

3) Soft music, no live musicians at the tableside if you want to enjoy being alone with each other

Beyond that, good luck, and cheers to a very thoroughly planned event

Supers

Shiny_Rock
OMG!!!! Wow!!! This sounds amazing - she will be blown away.

Suit, no tie sounds good. She knows you're going out for a fancy dinner right, so she will dress up, so you need to look appropriately dressed too.
Soft music/jazz is good - unless you two have special songs?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that sounds amazing!!!!! how thoughtful and sweet :)

I would wear whatever is more 'you'...maybe khakis and a nice shirt?

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
TristanC|1309260745|2956917 said:
1) Is travelling in a limo very you? Depending on whether you want to keep the suspense up and make her dizzy trying to guess (or if she's likely to second guess you) this might work. More than likely, the 'game' will be up once the limo arrives in the sense that she'll be constantly second guessing when you are going to propose from that point on. Women have fairly good intuition when guys go all out suddenly, unless you're a very eventful sorta guy. So if you want her on the edge of her seat all the way this is good. If you want her blissfully ignorant till later when you surprise her, perhaps not as much

I did hire a chauffeured car for that first trip out to wine country, so I'm not sure it's that far out there. However, I actually wouldn't mind building up a little excitement and apprehension. My goal isn't necessarily to catch her completely off-guard, but to build up to a nice surprise.

2) I think you should dress appropriately to match her, and to enjoy the night. If this is your Only photoshoot, then a suit and tie etc might be fine. But I would guess there might be another session where your partner can doll herself up appropriately for photos that will last an eternity, so for the night I think you should wear her favorite clothes on you? Whatever she loves to see you in... you know, that shirt that always elicits a small smile when she looks at you changing?

So, i'm not sure if this might be our only photo shoot or not, but I think dress shirt and slacks it will be. I might bring a sport coat if I can find one that works.

3) Soft music, no live musicians at the tableside if you want to enjoy being alone with each other

Yeah, definitely nothing live.

Thanks!

phillygal

Rough_Rock
I saw wear what your normally would for a nice dinner out. I know the limo might make her wonder but I think she is going to love it all. Just do soft back ground music for dinner. :appl: you have an awesome idea and she is going to be amazed and I know she will say yes

FuturePsyD

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to hear how your weekend went!!

I'm sure your fiance was thrilled. Hopefully you can share a few handshots of her beautiful ring!!! :naughty:

nda

Rough_Rock
Wow.

This is a lot of stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results