shape
carat
color
clarity

windowed sapphire

sapphire_mushroom

Rough_Rock
Hello all, this is my first post. I've just received my heart-shaped purple sapphire from Tan. I love the color but there is a window in the center and there isn't much fire except around the edges of the stone. I don't know if I should just suck it up (because I really do love my little stone) or if I should attempt to get it recut in the back. It has a rather deep belly so I think it could handle a recut without much weight loss.

Here's a link to it. I don't have a camera that will take a better photo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250822999589&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You often see windows in heart-shaped stones. These windows usually close nicely in settings, and as to a recut, it is your choice, but think of the price of a recut, plus the price of setting... Many of these windows close in setting, or are simply not seen on a hand... If you like the color, I'd keep at as it is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The window appears smallish in the pictures and video. Does the window become less obvious when you put it between your fingers (on the back of your hand)? If so, I would leave it as it is. Very few lapidaries will recut a stone, and there are added risks that you have to consider. The heart looks clean enough for a recut but colour might be affect (or it might not). There appears to be a band of colourless section from the back view so I cannot tell if a recut will affect the face up colour.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Chrono.

There is some colour zoning from the look of the video and recutting could significantly change the colour of the stone. The window looks minimal to me and should close up.

sapphire_mushroom

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. I managed to take a picture so let me know what you guys think.
prettyshiney.jpg
For whatever reason it LOVES florescent lighting. It doesn't seem nearly as sparkly in sunlight. Maybe I'll take some more photos to show you guys what I mean...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is too far from the viewer in the photograph. You'll have to use macro mode (flower icon), then crop the picture before posting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the color of the stone, and your hand looks so perfect! (I know, random comment)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results