shape
carat
color
clarity

Window dressing - colour advice appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need help.
4.gif
I'm not very good at choosing colours really.

I have a room, with a huge sofa and some toys in it. Its where James and I hang out a lot. Its not a very big room, in fact its rather small. I love the colour we painted it and the pictures we have on the walls.

The main problem is the curtains (I think you call them drapes?) I just don't like them. They are too short too.

I don't know how to choose the right colour to pull the room together. I know the sofa is really striking and I don't know how to match curtains with it. I need a new rug too. The room just doesn't feel cosy enough. It feels quite cold with the laminated flooring too.

I will post some photos of the room so you can see what I mean.

Any advice is gratefully receieved - as always
1.gif

sofaphoto11.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sofaphoto22.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another view to show how small the room is ....

sofaphoto33.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
If it were my room, I would take the colors from the pictures on the wall (it looks like maybe a reddish?) and do solid curtains in that color. Also, I''d probably add a couple of accent pillows in that same color to the couch. I''d probably go very neutral on the rug... maybe something a bit lighter than the tan on the couch. Hope this helps :)

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2007 6:03:21 PM
Author: oobiecoo
If it were my room, I would take the colors from the pictures on the wall (it looks like maybe a reddish?) and do solid curtains in that color. Also, I''d probably add a couple of accent pillows in that same color to the couch. I''d probably go very neutral on the rug... maybe something a bit lighter than the tan on the couch. Hope this helps :)
I don''t consider myself very blessed in the decorating department, but I was thinking the same thing as Oobiecco. The pictures on the wall show up on my computer as a very friendly, pretty rosy/mauve like color. I think that color could really help the room to pop. If you could find a color (maybe the lighter shades of the pinkish/redish color) of pillows to go with the slightly darker curtains, that would tie everything together really well. If you wanted to keep the color of curtain you already have and just add to it, you could do the layered thing were you have the more shear yellowy color of the couch over the darker shade that is currently there. That would look nice, too, I think. But I''d still want to tie the pictures in with the room in some way. It''s just such a pretty color!!
9.gif

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Maisie - My first thought was a soft green, linen fabric. I think the reddish color in the prints would work too.

I'm assuming that is a radiator under the drapes? I'll bet that is why the drapes are short. You don't want to create a fire hazard!

Whatever color you choose, you could tie it in with some pillows in the same color for the couch.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ok...another angle. You wanted to pull the room together...so in honesty here is my advice.

James time...stimulation time...I realize you love the pictures on the wall...but my vote is to nix the baby soft muted colors move those somewhere you can really enjoy them...and lets BAM some stimulating primaries in that room. Not loving the pattern on the sofa...but you can and should embrace it in other details. Your sofa is dominant...it is not meek and demure like your pictures on the wall. That sofa screams SCALE. You need to balance it with larger art. I understand you wanted only window treatment advice...but what I have to say won't work unless you know the other ideas I have.

That palm pattern is very elementary. SIMPLE TO imitate!! It is a bold shape with some cut out...I would get 3 large vertical shaped canvases...paint them a primary color...say lime green, maybe red...or you can stay with a simple black and white theme...and just imitate the palm pattern. You can take a pillow cover and copy it on a paper copy machine and make a pattern to paint on the canvas. Make them all identical. You can do it really simple by masking off the palm and leaving it white and slapping the solid color on the canvas or just do it like the sofa and paint the palm leaf black on a white canvas. And reverse the other two. So you will have 2 of one kind...1 of the other. (but choose one... to go all black and white...or use the colors theme)

If you choose to go black and white...you can accent with primary colors...in pillows, comfy throws, vases, or lamps and bring some touches of that into your window treatment. I would lean towards going all black and white for the simple ease of decorating. Anything you own can be painted black and given a new life. Any old brass light fixture or lamp...or wicker piece...chair desk, picture frames, or basket...bam it with black paint! Black lamps shades are great...but in this exercise I would use a red lamp shade ...POW! A red pillow! POW! A green pillow! POW!

If you find the canvas is more than you wanted to spend...look around at what you do have. Any old wooden doors that can go vertical behind the sofa? You can use them just like canvas. Or even pieces of plywood. If you own, you can paint the image directly on the wall. It if will be out of James's touch ...a cheap secret is to get 4 x 8 sheets of 1 inch thick Styrofoam insulation panels at the hardware store. You can cover them with fabric with glue. Or paint them and use them like canvas. It would be quite an undertaking but you can decoupage the foam using black and white patterned papers...and leave the palm solid...or...oh this would be easy...get the sheet of foam stuff...and exacto knife the palm pattern out...and place it on the wall...so it is a large cut out of the pattern...of course painted or coated in fabric or paper. You can make them large for interest. The foam is cheap...light weight, easy to cut...

OK now I would move on to the window treatment. Use some sort of pull down shades on the center over the radiator heater thing...and then hang your fabric flanking the window...you can have them cover that entire wall...it is all about look anyway. You can get your length you are missing in fabric there. Your floor is a wood color you can use a casual wooden shade in the same wooden family. Roman shades are inexpensive at your hardware store. You will get your luxury look in the curtains floor to ceiling. Trim the edge of your roman shade with what ever accent color you choose to go with. If black use a strip of black along the edge.

I think I would do black and white and then use James' brightly colored toys as a jump off point and place a few on shelving or boxes on the walls. Again lets stimulate this little tyke and get as much visuals as possible!!!!

I sure miss Curio. She would have this thing wrapped up in one paragraph. And her crafty photoshop skills. §

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Here are some links that help show you what I am trying to expressballs in these" href="http://www.target.com/b/ref=sc_fe_l_3_3151061_6/601-1961340-4065710?ie=UTF8&node=12957231" target="_blank">

Place brightly colored toys/balls in these (cubbies..the square boxes)

This is the idea of the three canvases/or three images on the wall

Positive reverse Black and white

Reverse Black and white

forgo the painting...copy leaf, make framed art

or better yet, make black and white images of Family with James and frame them. Use your family as the center of your design. Just use black and white to carry the theme.

Lamp only brighter red...need a red throw....need red pillows...maybe a ball shape...maybe a rug with red...POP!!!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Before I redid the room add-on which serves as a t.v. room / office (it's big), I had a black and off-white futon... the room has beige tile and I added a red rug and curtains... I went much darker red than I would suggest to you since it's a smaller room... but I love this rug from Ikea ($149) to add some warmth and coziness...

ikea_rug_red.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
...with these curtains from JC Penny (they are on sale for $15-20 per panel) in the color Cinnabar. They are a toned down red.

jcp_curtains_cinnabar.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
to give you a rough idea...

maisies_rm.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
Ikea also has some inexpensive storage systems like these that are unfinished so you finish it how you want.

They also have t.v. units that kinda coordinate that you can buy finished or not. Though, I would think having something bold there across the short distance of the room to the bold couch would really make the room appear smaller. I would personally go with something that's going to blend more with the wall.

With plain storage, I would accent with
a vase and candles.

I love this crazy lamp because you could aim the light for the kids to play and the adults to read or whatever. It's kinda funky like the leaf pattern.

ETA: The curtains would not appear so much like stripes since that is a blown up image of the fabric.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! Thanks everyone!! You have given me a lot of ideas to work with! I wish I was as creative as you are!!!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thinking red! A red rug and curtains. That is pretty bold though, so you''d need to see if that would ''go'' with the rest of your house! Love the couch though!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love red! I am buying this sofa for my other room ...... I don't really do matching rooms to be honest, but it would be cool to carry the red theme through the downstairs.

get_prod_image.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Well then Maisie...what about covering the seat cushions on that sofa? Either in solid black or red. It will be more James friendly as darker hides and it will quiet down that boldness. Save the material and cover a stool, bench, or seat cushion in a corner. You can incorporate square seating cubes just right for James and place them infront of the sofa as if they were a coffee table. You could use the excess material some where.

What ever color you chose to cover the seat cushion would determine the pillow and curtain colors. I think when using red it should be done lite handedly. So the POP is a POP and not a smush. Or a smear. Make sense? You can use shades of reds and it works well...such as a Red maroon...or a deep scarlet say in the curtain...and then your pop of real red still carries the importance of being just the right amount.

I think you can use black and white theme...really well and pop with reds. It will be very stimulating and I think it would be a room you would love to be in.

I love LOVE that red sofa you posted. Love the legs too! And the pattern on the pillow. Yum. §

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DKS I love your ideas. You are very design minded aren''t you!!

I really love the black and beige sofa though, I don''t really want to cover the cushions on it. Surely it can''t be that ugly? I had my eye on it for ages and as soon as the sale came round I jumped at it
9.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 7:30:28 PM
Author: Maisie
DKS I love your ideas. You are very design minded aren't you!!

I really love the black and beige sofa though, I don't really want to cover the cushions on it. Surely it can't be that ugly? I had my eye on it for ages and as soon as the sale came round I jumped at it
9.gif
If you don't want another room red, (and it seems you like bold) what about purple (though your better half may not go for that). I think purple looks great with black and beige. You could do green as well. Blue?

I have a question... that wall heater thing... can curtains be in front of it? You'll have to pardon me... I'm from Cali and have never seen one of those irl!
face20.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
creepaway3.gif

*sneaks in pic I forgot to post*

maises_purple_rm.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock

No I don''t think it is ugly. BOLD, yes. It is the most dominant thing you have in there. After coming back and looking at it again...is when I thought the pattern may benefit from a break...more than just a pillow placed on it.

The idea was to incorporate the color in that sofa so it will all meld together. And be cohesive. Bold patterns are very expressive...just like in clothing...Think of that pattern as if it were a blouse. What color would you reach for in a skirt or pair of pants? You have black and a shade of beige. I would choose a fire engine red or a black. A grape purple as suggested would be great too. I wouldn''t take that pattern all the way from my head to my toes and then try to add another pattern of a stripe or plaid or circle. When you decorate....apply the closet clothing rules and see what ideas you have. Back to the blouse. I would also grab a jacket say in black so now I have on red skirt, bold blouse, and black jacket to calm it down. That is all I was suggesting. Again, the blouse isn''t ugly...just a different way to wear it. (or in this case a different way of utilizing the boldness...)

Actually I didn''t realize it was beige I thought it was white. You had a few images and they all showed up a different color on my monitor...so I went with the lighter shade and thought it was the lighting on the others. Is it beige or is it closer to an ivory?

Ok...now where you stand now...I would get some beige or ivory curtains and a black roman shade. Get some cording of black and ivory and use it to drape along the top of your curtains. You can also incorporate some swags. You can have permanent tie backs as you are dealing with a heater thing. So you tie backs can also have the twisted braided cording of black and ivory. Or go the opposite and black curtain and ivory roman shade. Trim your ivory roman with a black fringe or more of the twisted cording. From a distance this cording will blend with your leaf pattern. You can get a black and ivory rug...similar to the one someone posted for you...then stand back and see what color you want to see. (don''t let anyone convince that black will make the room look small...dark colors recede and you will be surprised how it benefits the small room. You can take mirror and run a narrow strip of mirror from the ceiling to the floor between where you curtain ends and the corner of the wall...lets say 10 inches.§

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 8:15:13 PM
Author: sera

Date: 11/25/2007 7:30:28 PM
Author: Maisie
DKS I love your ideas. You are very design minded aren''t you!!

I really love the black and beige sofa though, I don''t really want to cover the cushions on it. Surely it can''t be that ugly? I had my eye on it for ages and as soon as the sale came round I jumped at it
9.gif
If you don''t want another room red, (and it seems you like bold) what about purple (though your better half may not go for that). I think purple looks great with black and beige. You could do green as well. Blue?

I have a question... that wall heater thing... can curtains be in front of it? You''ll have to pardon me... I''m from Cali and have never seen one of those irl!
face20.gif
Yes you can hang curtains in front of the radiator. Its not a fire hazard... its just full of hot water.
1.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, It's great that you have enough space in your house to have a room for you & James to hang out. Your sofa is bold with almost a tropical pattern to me. Can you paint? How about painting the walls a deep olive green? It lets the sofa pop more and tones down the room. I would paint the radiator too...(even though I didn't do it in my picture). Love DKS's black & white bold photo ideas. Blowing up family pictures or even just painting the panels in black & white would work...they just need to be bigger and bolder. Also, love the idea of bamboo shades with curtains on the sides only. The shades would add texture. The curtains add the color. I was thinking a pumpkin orange to go with the green. I wouldn't put a rug in this room...since it's a play room and rugs tend to not be really kid friendly. If you really want a rug, I'd go for something neutral like a sisal rug...similar color to the bamboo blinds. I also think I'd add some big leaf floor plants if you have room. I think the darker walls give it a cozier feel.

I tried to draw in the colors I was thinking. I don't have photoshop so it is really rough but can give you an idea.

Good luck!

maisiesofaphoto11.jpg

thekinglives

Rough_Rock
Hello Maisie

Just had a go at this for fun, hope I can successfully attach
pic and that you like it
1.gif

All stuff added is straight from the online argos catalogue.
Curtains have brown band at top to enhance height of room:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1266850/Trail/searchtext%3ECURTAINS.htm

The only thing I came up with for the colour conundrum is
that the red/brown hue of your floor is drained by blue/purple
colours and competes badly with strong reds. The only way
to flatten the red is with strong chocolate brown, which I''ve
tried here:

(fingers crossed).

sofaphotobrown.jpg

thekinglives

Rough_Rock
Sorry, forgot longer curtains
41.gif

sofaphotobrown2.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 8:42:56 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Maisie, It''s great that you have enough space in your house to have a room for you & James to hang out. Your sofa is bold with almost a tropical pattern to me. Can you paint? How about painting the walls a deep olive green? It lets the sofa pop more and tones down the room. I would paint the radiator too...(even though I didn''t do it in my picture). Love DKS''s black & white bold photo ideas. Blowing up family pictures or even just painting the panels in black & white would work...they just need to be bigger and bolder. Also, love the idea of bamboo shades with curtains on the sides only. The shades would add texture. The curtains add the color. I was thinking a pumpkin orange to go with the green. I wouldn''t put a rug in this room...since it''s a play room and rugs tend to not be really kid friendly. If you really want a rug, I''d go for something neutral like a sisal rug...similar color to the bamboo blinds. I also think I''d add some big leaf floor plants if you have room. I think the darker walls give it a cozier feel.

I tried to draw in the colors I was thinking. I don''t have photoshop so it is really rough but can give you an idea.

Good luck!

Thank you for helping me!

I love your ideas - especially the blinds.... I can''t paint the room again, I only just painted it again and I don''t think I have it in me!! I will keep a record of everything you said tho, for when I do paint it again
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
DKS or § as you are now known
9.gif
I completely get where you are coming from where the bold colour is concerned. I realise that there can be only one dominant colour in the room and that everything should compliment it. That will help me a lot when deciding on which colours to use.

Thankyou!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thekinglives... thankyou so much for taking the time to find a shop near me! That was very nice of you! I really like the rug and curtains! You are all so clever being able to put these things together in my photo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results