shape
carat
color
clarity

will Obama be a good President?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 3:56:29 PM
Author: trillionaire
For your inner child :)
Shouldn''t that be posted in the McCain thread? Or are you just trying to crowd out my video.
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock

Better late than never, though better never late
2.gif

Whose absentee in the Senate? McCain is #1!

ETA: to be fair, please keep in mind that senators who plan to or are in the process of running for prez are a.) busier, and b.) will strategically miss votes that they think will be controversial, to avoid having to explain their vote or position. Perhaps McCain just opted to be absent vs. Obama merely voting "present"

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Obama has missed 18% of the votes in 3 years.
McCain has missed 17% of the votes in 10 years.

I think I'll give him a break.

ETA: These charts seem to show what we already know. That senators miss work while campaigning.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 4:07:37 PM
Author: luckystar112
Obama has missed 18% of the votes in 3 years.

McCain has missed 17% of the votes in 10 years.

I think I''ll give him a break.

18% of 3 years worth of votes, or an average of 17% a year?

17% of all the votes in 10 yrs, or 17% on average over 10 years?

Those are very different things. One would imply that they are virtually the same, and therefore not a point for criticism, the other would imply something VERY different, and yes, we would all have to give due deference to McCain.
1.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure it''s total votes, not per year.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 4:19:47 PM
I''m pretty sure it''s total votes, not per year.

Hopefully someone can confirm this for us... does anyone know?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
From the link I posted above (which you might have missed because I edited it in later), it says that:

Clinton has missed 7% since 2001, McCain has missed 17% since 1997, and Obama has missed 18% since 2005. Many of the missed votes have come during heavy campaigning with all three candidates’ records showing a spike in the last half of 2007.

So, obviously, this was from back when Clinton was still in the running, but McCain had already won the nomination.

I'm sure that if you were to take the last three years only, McCain would have a higher percentage. But since that is almost all of Obama's US Senate career, that is what I think makes it his percentage seem a bit worse...at least to me.

But the charts definitely show that campaigning=absenceETA: This is Obama's chart

votes-400629.png

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
This is McCain's chart

CRUD!!! No it isn't....this one is Clinton's chart. She had the best voting record of the three.

ETA again: Notice the little spike in 2004. Do you think that was because she was campaigning for Kerry? Did she even campaign for Kerry? I don't even know.

votes-mccain.png

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Here is McCains. Notice the 2000 election and this election clearly show spikes in absences.

McCainvotes.png

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 5:05:11 PM
Here is McCains. Notice the 2000 election and this election clearly show spikes in absences.

Thanks for posting these!
36.gif

I think it''s fair to say that presidential candidates don''t make great representatives in the Senate, lol. It seems reasonable to project that all three people would have records not worth mentioning had they not campaigned for president. And, other things being equal, they seem to all take their jobs seriously... even if the job is running for Prez. Great info, very enlightening contribution!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results