shape
carat
color
clarity

Will my diamond ring hold me up at airport security?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thread

Rough_Rock
a good friend is travelling with his girlfriend - going to paris - to ask her to marry him. don''t want to get stopped in security cause of the ring. what a bad deal that would be - anyone have experience travelling with a ring in a box like this. It''s platinum and diamond with saphires on it.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it should be a problem. Women wear jewelry through the magnomitors all the time. I know someone who did something similar and sewed the ring to his pants pocket to ensure that nothing happened to it. Worst comes to worst, if he gets stopped, he can tell the metal detector guy the story and they might let him through.

Or... he could send it ahead. Risky, but no chance of getting caught at the airport.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I went through airline security last week wearing my platinum ering - I just didn''t want to take it off! Didn''t set off metal detectors in Lincoln, NE or in Orlando, FL. This should only be a problem if your friend is carrying the ring box in his pocket and has to be searched in front of the girlfriend. If it''s in his carry-on bag, it''ll just go through the x-ray and shouldn''t be a problem. If his bag does need to be searched, he can just tell the security person that he''s proposing on vacation and that his girlfriend just CAN''T see the ring box!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does the ring box have any metal in it, some do and you cant really see it because it is covered up with material?? That''s the only thing that would concern me.

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I just noticed that you are the person who started the Thread...My Michael B Ring arrived today. Unfortunately, your picture didn''t show up and there has been alot of panting for it!
emteeth.gif
Please post it...so we can all get back to normal!
emwink.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ditto!!! As soon as I saw "thread" I said HEY, where''s the Michael B? We''ve been waiting with bated breath and thread-jacking like lunatics! Show us some loooooove!!

(And I think your friend''s ring should be ok--I''ve never had a problem going through security and I wear a diamond drop on a platinum chain.)

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the airport security with a thick gold bracelet and rings on. The metal detector only triggers base metal opjects.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
blueroses: I am with you. I saw "thread''s" name and thought "he finally posted pics of the Michael B!!!!"

Why am I still excited to see that ring!?!?!?!?!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve made it through with a steel watch before. Also, with my belt buckle (normal leather belt with a brass looking buckle). Neither set off the metal detector. I doubt a little ring would set off the detector. We''ve taken two trips at least since I''ve proposed and neither time did her platinum e-ring set off the detector.

If you''re really paranoid, just stick it in your carryon. There''s much less chance of them stopping and searching your carryon then if you carry it on your person.

thread

Rough_Rock
it''s up on the eye candy post!!! the file was too big - finally figured that out.

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
The one problem that might happen would be with customs; your friend might have problems bringing it home if they think it was bought in France, in which case he might have to pay tax on it. Therefore your friend should have the receipt with him.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Gold or platinum does not set off metal detectors.

However, if you forget your driver''s license. They will be all over you like the plague. I was travelling to Boston for my husband''s firm prom. A yearly black tie event at the Four Season Hotel.

Through a very circuitous series of events, my driver''s license was left in the glove compartment of my car... However, I had my Costco card (photo ID) and credit cards. I was traveling with my 13 and 11 year old. (They were going to visit family, while my husband I were at our soiree.)

They almost strip searched me. They completely went through my Hermes Kelly bag and found my Elizabeth Locke 40 carat peach moonstone, cognac diamond and pearl broach (and handmade chain), a 30 inch strand of AA quality 8mm pearls as well as Paul Morelli diamond and gold earrings. The pin/broach is the most spectacular thing I own.

The security people joked they wanted to mug me. My kids were out of control laughing at me and my situation.

Not one of my best days. At least I can laugh about it now.

By the way, close to 20 years ago, my husband proposed to me at the Sacramento airport. I had the flight from h*ll from Boston to Sacramento, complete with running through airports at top speed to reach my connecting flight. I was the last person on the airplane, at the very back.
I landed in Sacramento. It took 10-15 minutes to get off the plane. In the meanwhile, my fiance (hubby) was getting very nervous. He had a bottle of Moet and a dozen red roses...

I was the last person off the plane. He picked me up literally ( I was 105lbs then), sat me down on a chair, got down on one knee and said "I am only going to do this once, Will you marry me." The rest is history.
2.gif

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
just wanted to jump aboard to say... HOW ROMANTIC!!! a proposal in paris.... *swoon*

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2005 2:26:53 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I read the title of this thread, Thread, and imagined a Diamond saying, ''that''s is indeed a gun in my pocket honey - this is a stick up!''
To each his own... I guess.

I was thinking "tax fraud" imagining the embarrased face of the guy having to ruin romantic surprise in order to declare the jewel for import tax exemption
9.gif

By the book... this should happen, no ?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results