shape
carat
color
clarity

will it look whiter or yellower?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enibas

Rough_Rock
just wondering: if you have a better-than-ok-cut "I": does it look yellower in white gold/platinum (i'm thinking CONTRAST) or will it look yellower in gold (the gold IMPARTING even more "yellow" to the diamond)...

just wondering...and hey, does it make a difference if you had a superb-ly cut "i"? hmmmm...

still hooked on this site even though i'm "done" diamond shopping ,
enibas :appl:

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Interesting question. I don't really know which type of metal would mask the color better. I will say, however that my "I", .87ct ideal cut round diamond set in yellow gold looks super white to me. When viewed from the side under magnification, I can see a slight tint to it. I have absolutely no complaints about the color of the stone.

My diamond is tension set, and I read on the manufactures website that this type of mounting can improve the color appearance by 2 grades. This sounds like complete b.s. to me, I'm not sure what the rationale is behind that statement.

My advice would be to decide which kind of metal you like, and then go to a store and compare colors in that particular metal. Find out what color grade is acceptable to you and then work on purchasing the stone.

Best of luck to you! I hope that someone can answer your question better than I can.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
opps! I just noticed that you said you are done shopping, so you must already have your "I" color stone. Maybe you can have a jeweler drop the stone in a gold and a platinum setting and see which looks better to you.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's another thing to ponder, how about blue gold prongs? I was thinking how some titanium rings have a blue inlay channel and putting some off white diamonds in the blue inlay to counter act the tint.:Up_to_something:

enibas

Rough_Rock
lol...actaully, it's an AGS 000 H VS1 that i have set in platinum that totally looks white to me...I LOVE IT!!! :love: ...i just used "I" as an example cuz i was told (B.S.?) that taht's when you can really start seeing yellow. hmmm...

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
ahh, it's all perception I guess. There are so many factors that can affect how the color of the stone looks...size, cut, which lab graded the stone, and the individual's ability to pick up on color differences.

I just held a one of my cz's up to my diamond (which are always "D" color) and I think that the cz looks a little bit whiter. It's hardly a discernable difference at all to me, but maybe I just have crappy vision :)

By the way, I'm still addicted to this forum too, I wonder if my fascination with diamonds will wear off soon.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hey there,

I just happen to have been through this with a local jeweler about the ring I just bought for my fiancé (18k yellow gold band w/ a six-prong platinum setting) and maybe have some insight.

Going by my understanding of the optical properties of diamond, the vast majority of light that a WELL-CUT diamond returns is light that enters the diamond through the table from above, is reflected off the pavilion facets, and is returned to the viewer back through the table and crown. A pretty good illustration of this phenomenon is provided by observing the brilliance of a well-cut diamond in an enclosed bezel setting. This reflectance works both ways, and just as light traveling through a well-cut diamond’s table will reflect off the pavilion facets and be returned, the negligible amount of light that will reflect off the band and creep in around the setting’s prongs (which will often be white anyway) will likewise tend to bounce off the underside of the table and pass back out through the pavilion. This being the case, the contrast between the yellow of the band and the nearly-white of the diamond will tend to make the stone look WHITER than if the stone were set against a white/silver band (which actually could make the diamond look a little "off-color").

All of this is dependent on the stone having a good cut quality though. A poorly cut diamond may leak light through either side, thus transmitting reflected light from the yellow band below through the table just as it loses light from above through the pavilion.

That's my thought, anyway. Some of the pros here may educate us both here. :twirl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results