shape
carat
color
clarity

Wife defends her small engagement ring

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet story! ...but I'm all for changing if that's what you both want. [emoji4][emoji1303]

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1460506007|4018517 said:
Sweet story! ...but I'm all for changing if that's what you both want. [emoji4][emoji1303]

This!

How rude of the people to suggest it showed less success or anything else. Petty people!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have never commented on the size of any of my friends' e-ring....isn't that a huge social faux pas? She needs better friends.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sheesh, with friends like that who needs enemies…very rude of them to make those kinds of remarks to her.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote that she lose the friends and get a dog :lol:

Seriously though, very sad state of affairs when people determine your worth by the size of your diamond. At least the woman has a good head on her shoulders and what looks to be a lovely and sincere marriage.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nice story. She is perfectly happy with her ering and that is what matters. It looks nice on her hand. If other people are looking down on her for it then they aren't worth having as friends. It's pretty rude of anyone to say something like that to her.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How dare those people ask about upgrading her lovely ring????

IMO, she does not need to defend her ring or her personal choices in any way.

She may need to defend, to herself, why she keeps such nasty twats in her life.

I wonder just how many rude people have made such suggestions or asked such rude questions. Clearly, one too many.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she needs better friends too.

And a dog and a couple cats.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure I even believe she has had friends who said rude things about the size of her engagement ring. What happens here is all to her advantage as far as I can see. She gets to reinforce her values to herself - I'm a lovely, modest, undemanding woman content with her small diamond. I'm also a victim for being this way with people trashing on my exceptional values, which reinforces even more what a wonderful person I am. And everyone buys into it as though there ought to apply the same blanket rule for all. All the feedback to this article is along the lines of women content with a tiny chip of an engagement ring or better still selfless women forgoing an engagement ring altogether. How many of these "selfless" women who forgo what they might like for themselves, for the common good (house, car etc) have men who have similarly sacrificed things they wanted for the good of the family. Fair enough I'm into jewelry but give me a man who starts our married life out together in a spirit of measured generosity.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1460521666|4018592 said:
Not sure I even believe she has had friends who said rude things about the size of her engagement ring. What happens here is all to her advantage as far as I can see. She gets to reinforce her values to herself - I'm a lovely, modest, undemanding woman content with her small diamond. I'm also a victim for being this way with people trashing on my exceptional values, which reinforces even more what a wonderful person I am. And everyone buys into it as though there ought to apply the same blanket rule for all. All the feedback to this article is along the lines of women content with a tiny chip of an engagement ring or better still selfless women forgoing an engagement ring altogether. How many of these "selfless" women who forgo what they might like for themselves, for the common good (house, car etc) have men who have similarly sacrificed things they wanted for the good of the family. Fair enough I'm into jewelry but give me a man who starts our married life out together in a spirit of measured generosity.

What??? You're questioning the obvious clickbait? Say it ain't so. :naughty: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polished, I loved your takeaways from the article. Very good summation. I saw it this morning and rolled my eyes, but didn't have time to go into it as you did for us here. Thanks for elucidating!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1460513706|4018557 said:
I vote that she lose the friends and get a dog :lol:

Seriously though, very sad state of affairs when people determine your worth by the size of your diamond. At least the woman has a good head on her shoulders and what looks to be a lovely and sincere marriage.

Gypsy|1460519903|4018587 said:
I think she needs better friends too.

And a dog and a couple cats.

I am double dittoing this. That's what she needs. Forget about those crappy friends.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1460525247|4018598 said:
Polished|1460521666|4018592 said:

What??? You're questioning the obvious clickbait? Say it ain't so. :naughty: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polished, I loved your takeaways from the article. Very good summation. I saw it this morning and rolled my eyes, but didn't have time to go into it as you did for us here. Thanks for elucidating!

I can't shake the feeling that it was odd she would mention to US Weekly that she used to dream of a 2 carat diamond from Tiffany. Her husband will read that, and there goes her virtue in this matter. Now he knows what she really wanted and that he gets to feel like he fell short. At the very least, it sounds like a hint. I can't help but think that if she were really happy with her ring as she says she is, she would have left that tidbit out. I hope I'm wrong.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Don't you worry about her Rainydaze. she's probably whipped out her 2 carat diamond from Tiffany as we speak, courtesy of the handsome payout for an emotionally charged piece for the tabloid media.

It's not the size of the ring that bothers me. I've seen some gorgeous engagement rings on people I've known here in Oz of .25 carats and less. I go into a swoon over some of the .5 carat diamond rings people have purchased through advice given on Pricescope. It's the way the issue of a modest ring is deliberately manipulated to play on the emotions. This in turn provokes a lot of feedback which means more advertising revenue for the on-line newspaper. I feel it's unfair the other way around. People who want something more are made to feel guilty, greedy and that their marriages are unlikely to work out because their values aren't exactly alligned with the author and the many who respond to her.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Polished|1460552676|4018676 said:
Don't you worry about her Rainydaze. she's probably whipped out her 2 carat diamond from Tiffany as we speak, courtesy of the handsome payout for an emotionally charged piece for the tabloid media.

It's not the size of the ring that bothers me. I've seen some gorgeous engagement rings on people I've known here in Oz of .25 carats and less. I go into a swoon over some of the .5 carat diamond rings people have purchased through advice given on Pricescope. It's the way the issue of a modest ring is deliberately manipulated to play on the emotions. This in turn provokes a lot of feedback which means more advertising revenue for the on-line newspaper. I feel it's unfair the other way around. People who want something more are made to feel guilty, greedy and that their marriages are unlikely to work out because their values aren't exactly alligned with the author and the many who respond to her.

Well put. I think this is the new world order we live in.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the article was a bit contrived, but whatever. I started out with that size diamond. I didn't get an upgrade until 15 years in. It just wasn't important. I see young women now forgoing diamonds in favour of other stones and even sims. I'm glad it's not just one size fits all anymore. More choice, more satisfaction for all. There will still be those who want and/or intend to upgrade. That's very reasonable IMO. I've never subscribed to the idea that a wedding/ER ring was forever. It's a symbolic piece of jewelry. It can be changed IMO.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I did see this and initially thought, "Aw, that's sweet," but then went to her Facebook page and see she's into social media marketing. Seems a bit convenient to have a story go viral and get attention for this, which also helps her career. I mean, I guess we'd all likely accept our 15 minutes of fame if it happened for something generally positive, but it's kinda self-serving.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1460561385|4018746 said:
I did see this and initially thought, "Aw, that's sweet," but then went to her Facebook page and see she's into social media marketing. Seems a bit convenient to have a story go viral and get attention for this, which also helps her career.

She did it to finance her 3-ct D IF ACA upgrade. :lol:

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
moneymeister|1460559887|4018733 said:
Polished|1460552676|4018676 said:

Well put. I think this is the new world order we live in.

Agreed, that was very well-stated.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm happy that she's happy with her ring. To each his/her own. I think her friends are aholes for asking her about upgrades.

OTOH: I think there's value in planning and saving for what you really want. We've all done impulsive, irrational things and it's not something I personally brag about.

I'm glad her marriage and love have lasted. I don't think her story is any more special than those of us who took years to build a relationship and make a commitment. I also don't think my marriage is doomed because I have a big ring and it certainly doesn't make me greedy or any less in love with the man who put it on my finger. I committed to a man. I didn't commit to a single piece of jewelry the rest of my life.

It annoys the crap out of me that it's okay for men buy sports cars, motorcycles, ATVs, boats etc and then insist that diamonds are a bad investment or that wanting an upgrade is shallow/stupid/greedy. I think this woman is pandering to those sentiments.

Just my two cents. Rant over. That is all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results