shape
carat
color
clarity

Why would you NOT want an H&A diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been looking at diamonds, H&A and others, but I keep leaning toward the former because I love seeing the arrows. But they''re also more expensive. If you go with a non H&A, you could get a bigger stone, and that''s always nice too. Ahh, decisions, decisions...

If you chose to go with something other than an H&A diamond, what made you decide that?

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hi zoe,

I have heard that some people do not like the high contrast of the H&A stones...

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well, it would ultimately be my boyfriend doing the choosing...but for me the biggest problem is the PRICE.
22.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 8:01:35 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Hi zoe,

I have heard that some people do not like the high contrast of the H&A stones...
Hi! Could you explain this a little more? Thanks!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
fyi: there seem to be a few opinions about H & A over the "Tiffany cut" thread currently going on.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 7:35:58 PM
Author:zoebartlett
I've been looking at diamonds, H&A and others, but I keep leaning toward the former because I love seeing the arrows.
You can buy non H&A stones that exhibit the arrows....just stick to very well-cut stones. They don't have to be H&A.

While H&A is nice, it comes with a premium. You may be able to realize better value and a bit more size for the money by going just outside the "H&A" realm.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2007 12:49:08 AM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 3/14/2007 7:35:58 PM
Author:zoebartlett
I've been looking at diamonds, H&A and others, but I keep leaning toward the former because I love seeing the arrows.
You can buy non H&A stones that exhibit the arrows....just stick to very well-cut stones. They don't have to be H&A.

While H&A is nice, it comes with a premium. You may be able to realize better value and a bit more size for the money by going just outside the 'H&A' realm.
I agree with Aljdewey! You can probably find a GIA Ex/Ex stone that doesn't exhibit perfect H&A patterns but still perform as well as a H&A. That should save you about 10% or so.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on the fence about my future pendant stone being H&A or not... I might do it, but in a way I kinda prefer the more scattered sparkles in a non h&a. I wouldn''t go in between and get something *kinda* h&a... I wouldn''t want BAD arrows LOL But I''ve seen many people on here who prefer non h&a stones because of the different sparkle.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 1:06:35 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I''m on the fence about my future pendant stone being H&A or not... I might do it, but in a way I kinda prefer the more scattered sparkles in a non h&a. I wouldn''t go in between and get something *kinda* h&a... I wouldn''t want BAD arrows LOL But I''ve seen many people on here who prefer non h&a stones because of the different sparkle.
by non- h&a I mean no arrows whatsoever.... like an older cut diamond.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would only not want arrows (not necessarily a H&A diamond as others have pointed out, because diamonds can not be H&A officially but still have arrows)...if i was doing an older stone like an OMC or an OEC or a different shape. for a round i''d probably almost always want arrows, love them!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Some people do not like the look of a H&A stone, or something that is cut akin to them. The look itself has a certain symmetry that is recognizeable when the pavillion mains match up with the crown and you get a very distinct arrow pattern. For more info read this: Tutorial on Hearts and Arrows.

In my opinion, I am not a fan of the exacting precision which diamonds are cut today. They are cut to maximize brilliance and fire, which many H&A stones do when measured using the various devices created for such stones. The look of a non H&A can vary widely from something dark, to a well cut stone that actually has a different look and the sparkle arrangement is more scattered and less geometrically arranged. There are well cut stones, or lively stones with arrows that will not be visible from face up, and likely the hearts pattern will also not be visible from the pavillion up. Are these stones worth less? Sometimes. But also consider H&A are fairly new cuts, and some older stones, or larger stones in more exotic sizes are not cut in this H&A style because of weight loss. It is much higher for a precision cut like H&A which accounts for the higher price. Same size rough for a smaller diamond, but according to tests the stone will "perform" better.

In my opinion, I like older cut stones. I do not like round brilliant cuts, almost at all. The symmetry to me is too overbearing and is a bit plain and simple. I have seen many stones that are H&A and many that are not. In my opinion, H&A are almost intercheangeable, where as those older cuts, or non-H&A (to me) have more character and all have a different personality. I have seen deep stones with so much fire a H&A stone will not compare. (But the sacrifice was less brilliance) and so on and so forth...each stone different.

I think what people like as well about H&A stones is they are branded, and because they are all cut to very close dimensions, it is easier to find a good performer. So a 1ct H&A will differ ever so slightly from another. The variety between non-H&A is MUCH greater and take a longer time to find, and should be seen in person.

The advent of Internet shopping has also made H&A stones much easier for people to rely on a standard of cutting, thus making it possible for a person to buy a stone sight unseen. Regular stones, this is hardly ever the case! In the end, if you shop online, you have lots of choices, and lots of people to help, Decide what look is right for you and what fits your budget...

Good luck!

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
From an aesthetic standpoint I think you also need to consider the setting where the diamond will be placed.

If it is in a single diamond pendant or a solitaire engagement ring, I think the H&A is cooler than an a non-H&A as it gives it a bit of uniqueness and symmetry that really captures something special.

If the ring is a cluster setting, or a three-stone setting, perhaps the non H&A is the way to go, as the symmetry could clash with the other diamonds in the setting.

Also, remember that you don''t always see the H&A, the stone has to be facing you the right way and in the right light conditions.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I just watched a repeat (thanks to Regular Guy) of John''s webinar on H&A and it was great to see. I''ll go look at non H&As and see what I can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results