shape
carat
color
clarity

why would a good diamond get an EGL report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klein103

Rough_Rock
why would a good diamond get an EGL report. i hav eheard its a time difference a price difference and even a quality difference, maybe borderline? are these all true?
confused.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A good stone, or a fine one, is unaltered by the report it comes with. Like a rose, a diamond is a diamond is a diamond. EGL is way faster, less costly and for some consumers, most of them, it is a fully adequate report.

Dealers really know what the grades are anyway, so they don't much care. It is cautious consumers who really look for GIA and AGSL reports. That's great and it does work. However, those consumers are in the minority.

There are many good reasons for a good diamond to have a non-GIA report. There are compelling reasons for a few people to insist on the GIA or AGSL...For them, most other reports are not what they will accept.

Yupi

Rough_Rock
Please clarify a bit more for me: The GIA lacks detail information on the cut of the diamond, but yet it appears that it has more "power" and give more confidence to those who look for genuine quality ?

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Unless a dealer wants to snow you buy taking advantage of the lax standards by which EGL grades stones (ie, he's hoping to come out one clarity and colour- sometomes two - better) there is no good reason to go to an EGL lab. The only exception is if you are buying a rather small stone of insignificant value and you want some piece of paper for your records.

But if you are buying anything decent size - like .50 and above - especially anything over a carat - an EGL cert to me is not worth anything. In fact it screams out to me - "this is a bad stone" cause if it was any good the dealer would have wanted a GIA cert.

RB

Yupi

Rough_Rock
So does that mean stones with GIA cert demand a higher value. I need to confirm my understanding -- A diamond with a cert is still that same diamond, no matter how "bad" some stones may seem, eg. a 63% table or and SI3, the GIA will still say so, rite ? The cert, to me, is something that tells you PRECISELY what you're getting, instead of people just "assess" it for you.

Then the next step is, I can shop around bearing the relevant verified information in mind.
rolleyes.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I could be wrong and way out of line for saying this, but I think EGL will certify clarified or enhanced diamonds and GIA and AGSL will not. Reason enough for me to not accept their cert.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/23/2003 8
6.gif
8:33 AM yupiland wrote:

So does that mean stones with GIA cert demand a higher value. I need to confirm my understanding -- A diamond with a cert is still that same diamond, no matter how "bad" some stones may seem, eg. a 63% table or and SI3, the GIA will still say so, rite ? The cert, to me, is something that tells you PRECISELY what you're getting, instead of people just "assess" it for you.

Then the next step is, I can shop around bearing the relevant verified information in mind.
rolleyes.gif

----------------

That is correct. A GIA cert is no indication of quality of the diamond. The reason that you get a GIA cert is that the information on it is more reliable. Dishonest jewelers sometimes try to lead people to believe that because it is GIA certified, that means it is a quality diamond. If someone tries to pull this one on you, run the other direction.

BTW, the EGL certs to be wary of are those issued by foreign EGL labs. The EGL-LA lab has a much better reputation.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not defending EGL or complimenting them, BUT there are many unscrupulous retailers and dealers who take a diamond with a couple Ideal attribute like depth and table size and they obtain GIA papers hoping to hype the stone as Ideal Cut when the crown height, crown angle, or pavilion depth is not ideal or even close. Not every dealer uses the AGSL and so the GIA works for them. By not giving you all the details of cutting the GIA is doing it "their way" in spite of market demand by consumers for more details.

At least the EGL has been giving consumers the cut details necessary to make informed choices about the "cut". Labs are a bit inconsistent in color and clarity grading. There are horror stories one hears, but there are many reasonably well graded diamond by many well known labs besides the GIA or AGSL.

Most ideal cut diamonds are graded by AGSL because they do a great job and give all the facts. No one can complain about that sort of super work. Just don't be over anxious to knock every other source of information. Some info is a lot better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results