shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is this diamond so colorful?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find there to be a much larger show of rainbow colors on this diamond than I would expect. Why is this? The bottom up pic shows dirty fingerprints on the stone, could it be covered in grease and that explain the colors?

Or is it the old cut that causes that?

Thanks,

Anne

rainbow_diamond_top.JPG

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bottom shot

rainbow_diamond_bottom.JPG

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Probably old cut + whatever its reflecting in the image, i.e., pastel colored something
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the ''grease'' could definitely play a part in what you are seeing. think of an oil spill and the rainbow of colors that come off of it.
what does the stone look like when it is perfectly clean?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
could be the red background its on...the dirt...the grease...the cut...combination..

its very pretty.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Older cut gives it chunkier facets to reflect light, but the color is likely coming from the person''s skin holding the stone, as well as whatever is facing the stone (sky, grass, colored wall, etc).

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you couldn''t see through the pavillion on a diamond, only a CZ. In this pic you can see the skin right through the pavillion. Am I wrong?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any response to FacetFire''s questions about seeing the pavillion?

I''m curious too now. :)

Anne

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 10:15:11 AM
Author: anne_h
Any response to FacetFire''s questions about seeing the pavillion?

I''m curious too now. :)

Anne
could you tell us what it looks like clean?

i''m not sure about seeing through the pavilion....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 8:02:37 PM
Author: FacetFire
I thought you couldn''t see through the pavillion on a diamond, only a CZ. In this pic you can see the skin right through the pavillion. Am I wrong?
you can see through it - its clear! it just depends on how the facets are set up.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 1:32:01 PM
Author:anne_h
I find there to be a much larger show of rainbow colors on this diamond than I would expect. Why is this? The bottom up pic shows dirty fingerprints on the stone, could it be covered in grease and that explain the colors?

Or is it the old cut that causes that?

Thanks,

Anne
that''s just what diamonds do sometimes! They look pretty!! I can''t get those plain white crisp shots of my diamond because it is always pulling in color from somewhere.
cbOMC43.jpg
cbOMC96.jpg

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 12:01:12 PM
Author: FacetFire
Ah, found the answer from this site: http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/diamond_education/articles/buying_diamonds/realthing.html in an article about telling a CZ from a diamond:

''The transparency test. If you flip the diamond in question upside down and place it over some newsprint and can clearly read through the stone, it’s not a diamond. (The problem with this test is some diamonds are cut shallow and can be read through.)''
at the risk of giving someone the ammunition to say my stone must be ugly.... it has a 66% depth and I just took this:

cbOMC155.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra I just love seeing pictures of that beautiful stone. So...are you supposed to be able to not see through a diamond in the respect that the text should look unchanged if it''s a cz? Because though you can see the print through the diamond, it is distorted..?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
FacetFire, there is a difference between an ability to read a text on a background and just seeing background thru a diamond. From Annes picture we can't tell are her palm lines distorted or not. We can tell though that she had been eating chocolate while handling a stone
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 1:08:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Cehra I just love seeing pictures of that beautiful stone. So...are you supposed to be able to not see through a diamond in the respect that the text should look unchanged if it''s a cz? Because though you can see the print through the diamond, it is distorted..?
couple things - first if you read the text you''ll see that it is the instructions for the ultrasonic ROFL - see at the bottom the "umming noise" hahaha

second I have no idea if it is a matter of distorted or not...

third... okay so not a couple LOL Thank you for saying that :) I took off a few quick pics and got this as well and I have no where else to share LOL

See the huge window to the left where the light lands like the center of a donut on the paper? Depending on the angle you can see that (not from face up but with the light from behind) because those facets are so big and the relationship between the biggest crown facet and the biggest pav facet interact with the table in just such a way... if you look from one big pav facet to the other you can see straight through the diamond, read the text off the computer even... but face up the only place you can see through is the culet. anyway I love the little light pattern on the paper from the facets :)

cbOMC156.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those facet shadows are VERY cool...
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:06:31 PM
Author: DiaGem
Could be white fluo.???
what is white fluoro?? never heard of it!!! but if this is a real thing (not doubting you lol) then that ring I saw at that pawn shop that LITERALLY looked like fog might have been a *severe* case of this because it really wasn''t all that blue but it was milky/hazy about 2 inches deep all around LOL

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/31/2007 2:30:30 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Could be white fluo.???
what is white fluoro?? never heard of it!!! but if this is a real thing (not doubting you lol) then that ring I saw at that pawn shop that LITERALLY looked like fog might have been a *severe* case of this because it really wasn''t all that blue but it was milky/hazy about 2 inches deep all around LOL
You have few shades of the phenomena called fluorescence..., White shade is one. I have not seen too many in my years in gems, but they do exist.

What you are describing sounds like the whitish/cloudy face up called "Fancy white" a term that I personaly dont understand... (but laboratories claim it is a type of Fancy Color for diamonds.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:56:46 PM

Date: 1/31/2007 2:30:30 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Could be white fluo.???
You have few shades of the phenomena called fluorescence..., White shade is one. I have not seen too many in my years in gems, but they do exist.

What you are describing sounds like the whitish/cloudy face up called ''Fancy white'' a term that I personaly dont understand... (but laboratories claim it is a type of Fancy Color for diamonds.
the diamond was clear - it just had this serious fog, even inside, that radiated out about an inch to two inches around in a 3D halo... I keep thinking about this ring and wondering if I could get it for a steal just for the oddness of it LOL

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was clear?....
Serious fog, even inside?....

Sorry, but those two dont work together.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 5:33:57 PM
Was clear?....
Serious fog, even inside?....

Sorry, but those two dont work together.
I was thinking of going downtown tomorrow... if I do I''ll see if they still have it and will let me take a pic... it seriously is THE strangest thing I''ve seen in my travels thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results