shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is so much unhealthy food consumed this time of year?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just returned from a GTG with some dear friends.
The hostesses spent days in the kitchen making everything from scratch but everything from the salads to the entrees to the sides to the desserts were chock full of bad fats, heavily processed grains, sodium and sugars. :knockout:
I couldn't bring myself to eat hardly anything.

You'd think celebrations would involve healthful life-extending foods & drinks.
But, it's just the opposite.
Why?

Am I a jerk?
Maybe I'm too serious.
Maybe I think too much.
Maybe I need to get out less.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Why is so much unhealthy food consumed this time of year

Because it tastes good. It is a happy time and such food makes us happy together with taste and tradition. No excuse for crappy alcohol however.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1482644260|4109482 said:
I just returned from a GTG with some dear friends.
The hostesses spent days in the kitchen making everything from scratch but everything from the salads to the entrees to the sides to the desserts were chock full of bad fats, heavily processed grains, sodium and sugars. :knockout:
I couldn't bring myself to eat hardly anything.

You'd think celebrations would involve healthful life-extending foods & drinks.
But, it's just the opposite.
Why?

Am I a jerk?
Maybe I'm too serious.
Maybe I think too much.
Maybe I need to get out less.

Well sadly I am with you. So maybe I need to get out less too or lighten up but this is how I feel. I don't mind the special desserts that are holiday specific like Christmas cookies, apple pie, etc. because those are the desserts and you don't need to partake if you don't want to but the main courses well that's where I have problems.

The problem is (for me) if I eat these foods I suffer immediate consequences to I end up eating very little at these holiday gatherings. Usually I don't mind and am prepared and eat before I go however yesterday I had an unpleasant surprise from my own family (i.e. parents) and let's just say I left hungry. And grumpy because when I am hungry I get grumpy. :((

However when we throw the holiday shindig we prepare healthy options always so you can have delicious foods that are also healthy. It just takes a little forethought and energy. That's all.

Aaaand you kids, get off my lawn. :lol:

Happy holidays!

holidays-over-grumpy-cat-meme.jpg

hohonope.jpg

funny-dog-memes-holiday-weight-fat.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, for one it's traditional to great degree. Next, we are actually wired to like sugar and fat. Also, most people can't cook very well. Cooking with lots of sugar and fat it's pretty easy to get an end result that lots of people will like because of the aforementioned wiring. Making truly tasty healthy dishes is not something our culture is known for, and requires rather more effort, at a time of year where most people are already stressed out. So there's that.

And celebration is almost by definition, about excess - excess of food, drink, sex, whatever. It's about indulgence, and an acknowledgement of the brevity of life - eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

The problem isn't the occasional celebration excess, it's the fact that too many overdo year-round.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

if you eat in moderation a so called unhealthy food isn't the worst thing in the world. For things that are not on my normal list of things to eat around the holidays, my limit is a tablespoon full. This allows me to enjoy the food but not feel horrible after.

If I'm allergic, I just don't eat it, simple as that. And yes there are things I will not eat...generally anything that has an abundance of raisins, cooked apples(yuk), or marshmallows, some milk products (lactose intolerant over here), and anything heavily fried or deep fried. those things are off limits the rest of my life :lol:

I have been known to bring my own food so I have something to eat. Hey, no shame! I ask the menu a head of time and plan accordingly. None of my friends are ever offended by it, they know the deal. I would NEVER ask them to change the menu though, thats rude IMO.

today for breakfast I made quiche. Not traditional but crustless with egg whites, goat cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and spicy (to me anyway) turkey sausage. there are some who wouldn't eat it...their loss, it tasted fantastic. :lickout:

In as far as unhealthy food, kenny its consumed all times of the year not just this one. There are some who might eat very healthy the rest of the year and this time of year is when they splurge and "live a little". I guess it depends on how you look at it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's your answer Kenny...it will help burn all those bad calories! :lol:
And celebration is almost by definition, about excess - excess of food, drink, sex, whatever. It's about indulgence, and an acknowledgement of the brevity of life - eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:D Good responses, my friends. :))

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I attended a holiday party on Friday where the hosts are vegan.
The food was awesome! Vegan sloppy joes (made with beans, vegan posole(hominy stew), brown rice, and lots of vegetable side dishes.
It was all delicious, and I loved it!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just had the most incredible coffee Godiva chocolate liquor drink thing and a slice of amazing cheesecake, and I can honestly say if I got hit by a car tomorrow I would probably wonder why I didn't just enjoy myself and eat the damn cheesecake. Everything in moderation and the holidays are not a time where I shy away from a good time.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You would probably like an Aussie xmas Kenny, our BBQ yesterday was very healthy for the most part; meats grilled over charcoal with basic seasonings, garden salads and fresh fruit for dessert. There was a potato bake dish, chocolates and ice cream but you could have still gorged on healthier food as the fatty foods were only a small fraction of what we had. I think because it's summer we tend to eat lighter, healthier foods for xmas.

I also think that we may be slightly lucky in Australia, I think I managed to sweat off all the fat I consumed and then some more during the food coma thanks to the 105 degree weather :lol: :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Live life to the full I'd say, in case I leave this earth unexpectedly.

I can have a saintly healthy lifestyle yet get hit by a bus the next day. So what is the point?

Better to be happy and do enjoyable things in moderation while I still can.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^I agree with the above. I enjoy eating unhealthy foods (in moderation). Eating and/or drinking in excess is sometimes all part of the celebration (whatever it may be - the Holidays, birthdays, etc.).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I grew up absolutely LOVING my grandmother's southern-style soul food. 1-2 holidays/year of eating it was enough for me, though. Dumplings made with lard? Yes, please. 11 years ago I became vegetarian, though, so no more dumplings for me. I will still crush mac-n-cheese and sweet potato pie. It's super traditional comfort food to me.

When my mother cooks, it's all baked, nothing fried, olive oil instead of butter, etc. and there is always fresh salad, raw veggies, hummus, all the healthy things. A piece of baklava for dessert was the only sweet thing I ate yesterday, and it was about 1"x1". But she's also kept my dad alive and made him eat healthy meals for the past 12 years or so since his first cancer dx.

People are just more likely to splurge on a holiday. They figure they're good the rest of the year or always worrying about what they eat being healthy enough. Last Derby party I brought red velvet cupcakes with from-scratch buttercream frosting and this giant salad of kale/spinach/arugula I had grown organically. Cupcakes = gone. Salad = most of it went to waste.

Stracci, I need to get myself invited to a vegan holiday! Your friends' sounds amazing.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with you Kenny. I get weighed publicly every 6 weeks when I go for an infusion for my arthritis, plus I'm diabetic. All I can think through these days is will there be a comment about me gaining weight! The nurse doesn't do it to shame me, it's done because it affects the dosage of my medication. Still, it's always at the back of my mind, plus I have to keep my blood sugar in some semblance of normal. I just restrict. But my gut is telling me I need fresh veggies and fruit much more than goodies! :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1482710834|4109582 said:
You would probably like an Aussie xmas Kenny, our BBQ yesterday was very healthy for the most part; meats grilled over charcoal with basic seasonings, garden salads and fresh fruit for dessert. There was a potato bake dish, chocolates and ice cream but you could have still gorged on healthier food as the fatty foods were only a small fraction of what we had. I think because it's summer we tend to eat lighter, healthier foods for xmas.

I also think that we may be slightly lucky in Australia, I think I managed to sweat off all the fat I consumed and then some more during the food coma thanks to the 105 degree weather :lol: :lol:

That sounds great!

Are there parts of Australia with mild climate, perhaps close to the ocean?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1482767979|4109646 said:
... I can have a saintly healthy lifestyle yet get hit by a bus the next day. So what is the point?

Better to be happy and do enjoyable things in moderation while I still can.

DK :))

Of course you're right.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can only answer for myself. The reason I have consumed so much unheathly food is I have absolutely no willpower. Yep, walked right past the many healthy food choices. I had a migraine all night from eating way too much chocolate when I knew that could be a side effect. No will power or common sense.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1482775309|4109663 said:
jordyonbass|1482710834|4109582 said:

That sounds great!

Are there parts of Australia with mild climate, perhaps close to the ocean?

Sounds like you are dreaming of Melbourne, where I am currently living. The temperature here in summer is generally between 70 and 85 degrees, a little more temperate (although it was 101 on xmas day). I used to think Sydney and Melbourne had no difference but nowadays I find that Sydney gets humid with some hints of tropical weather patterns. Oh and the ocean is only 15 mins from where I am in Melbourne so it ticks that box too

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I drink more alcohol in December for certain, and it is a conscious decision.

I seldom drink alcohol on my own at home except for a glass of wine or a bottle of beer when I have a meal at weekends.

However, I like to have a cocktail in the evening during the month of December.

Got to have nibbles to go with the cocktails, and I make some of them myself, to give as gifts, while keeping some back for myself.

Don't know how, however, I managed to lose weight during the past week!

Off to have some cheeses, after downing a jug of Blue Hawaiian - one of my favourite cocktails.

DK :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1482790044|4109709 said:
I drink more alcohol in December for certain, and it is a conscious decision.

I seldom drink alcohol on my own at home except for a glass of wine or a bottle of beer when I have a meal at weekends.

However, I like to have a cocktail in the evening during the month of December.

Got to have nibbles to go with the cocktails, and I make some of them myself, to give as gifts, while keeping some back for myself.

Don't know how, however, I managed to lose weight during the past week!

Off to have some cheeses, after downing a jug of Blue Hawaiian - one of my favourite cocktails.

My parents keep a dry home. On one hand, this is great because no one gets tipsy/drunk and crazy. OTOH, it sucks because we are all so nuts sober that by the time the holiday wraps up I feel like I NEED a drink! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My homes, past or present, were never dry, thanks to my dad's genes - I like food and drink.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

If this is a real concern for you, I suggest you bring some healthy foods with you to share with the others if they so choose. My first suggestion is to bring a fruit salad, which we always had at Thanksgiving and Christmas to start our dinner. I mean real fruit, its delicious. Get mostly fresh fruit and maybe throw a can of peaches in, topped off with some orange juice to keep it juicy. Perhaps your fellow guests won't eat it but I bet a few might try. Don't make so much.

I spoke to a woman who has a large family and inquired what they were eating for the holidays. Every family brought a main dish, and a few sides. So it brought to mind that I used to bring the desert, which were always pies that I bought at the store(Bakers Square). You could bring hummas, deviled eggs, or anything you deem healthy. Just bring it yourself with enough to share.

The fruit salad is great!.

Annette

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I can see where it's a rough time of year for people who are very committed to eating healthy all the time, or have dietary restrictions - I guess it's just tradition, and there wasn't as much emphasis on healthy eating when these traditions started lol. And I suppose it's just a time of year when people give themselves permission to indulge. I also think a lot of people just don't give a lot of thought to healthy eating or care about it very much. I've been trying to eat healthier recently but I splurge a little occasionally, including this holiday season, life is short and all that. I just have small portions. To tell you the truth, I was so exhausted from preparing for this dinner I had no appetite anyway haha. But I always have a few healthy options because I know not everyone likes, or can eat, rich foods laden with sauces, butter, sugar, etc. On the other hand, some people love them and look forward to eating them. This Christmas I made several healthy vegetable dishes and served a salad in addition to the "unhealthy" foods. My daughter is a vegan so I made vegan stuffing that was pretty healthy, and it was good if I do say so myself :cheeky: . Thanks to the internet it's easier now to come up with healthier recipes for some of these traditional holiday foods. And I always serve fruit with dessert. And if I know that someone has dietary restrictions due to a medical issue I have at least a couple things available that they can eat. As the host, it's hard sometimes to accommodate everyone but I try my best.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

^eta to my post - it's not hard to accommodate everyone, don't know why I wrote that lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lots of great suggestions here! Thanks.

I think my main beef (sorry) is the social pressure to 'be polite' and eat eat eat.
Your host tells you he spent days in the kitchen, etc.

... here comes that people vary thing, again.
Folks should just let others say, "No, thank you."
It's not an insult.
It should not hurt your feelings when someone doesn't try your dear grandma's recipe, or the light golden Caspian Sea Almas Osetra Caviar that you paid $595 and ounce for.

You might argue if people can vary then it's okay to expect others to eat whatever you serve them.
But that would cross a boundary IMO.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I get it. I'm trying so hard to cut out the sugar. Than BAM. Cookie season. They are my weakness. A good chocolate chip cookie becomes 3. And butter cookies. Kill me now. I am worthless against them. So I will suffer the consequences and wallow in the guilt. And go cold turkey on the sugar when all the shooting is over. Don't give up Kenny. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1483039332|4110436 said:
... Don't give up Kenny. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I know. I know. Walk towards the light.

screen_shot_2016-12-29_at_11.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results