shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is a wedding important to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bettina

Rough_Rock
Hi, ladies! I''m already married (we eloped to JOP a few months ago)but I''m tentatively planning a vow-renewal for next year. My dad has generously offerred to pay for the whole shindig for 100 ppl (20 from my side/ 80 from DH) and a budget of 10k. My problem is that I''ve been looking forward to this since we got engaged, but it doesn''t seem as important or worth the money since the birth of our DD. Dad said if I spend the balance on a wedding it wouldnt go to other means of assistance (nothing in particular), but it''s not like he''d hand us a large sum if I cancelled it since he''d be making payments on the balance. I want the wedding experience, a celebration of us, and I''m pretty sure I''ll regret it in the long run if we dont'' have it.

The date is for next fall and we''ve only put down one $500 deposit.

What would you do?

Why is having a wedding important to you?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
To me dh and I were becoming a family the day of our wedding. This didn''t just include me and him but our ENTIRE families were being combined. I couldn''t think of not having them there for something that included them as well ya know?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
A wedding isn''t important to me - being married to my fiance is. I guess that is why we are eloping.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
For us, we have a lot of close friends that don''t live by us. We really wanted them to be there for such a special day in our lives.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted the wedding because I want the religious aspect, it is so important to me and my family. I like the traditions involved and that my FI and I have two different backgrounds and we are merging the two by combing elements. I also like the idea of family involvement and I am lucky as one of my uncles will actually be marrying us, so that is what makes it particularly special to me (aside from the whole getting to marry my FI thing).

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 10:47:49 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
A wedding isn't important to me - being married to my fiance is. I guess that is why we are eloping.
ditto this is why I wanted to elope

eta but we aren't because it is important to his family

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Forgive me for asking this, but in your post did you mean that if you DONT have the wedding you get the balance of the money from your dad?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 10:47:49 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
A wedding isn''t important to me - being married to my fiance is. I guess that is why we are eloping.
+1

I do love the idea of bringing the families together, but personally feel that for me, spending 10K on one day is totally out of skew with my personal priorities at this point in time. As far as my parents paying, I''d rather them save the money for retirement.

We are eloping too, but my parents want to throw a reception/party afterwards, which will most likely happen just to keep the peace my my family.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results