shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does this seemingly inferior diamond cost more?

JackBauer

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a diamond for my other half and I've been doing some research to find something that offers the best value for money. I thought I had a good grasp of what to look for but I can't quite figure out why a diamond which I think is inferior on paper, costs more than one that is superior on paper. It makes me doubt my ability to find a good diamond as I think I may be missing something. Can someone shed light as to why the diamond with the better paper specs might cost less? - It has better colour, clarity and crown angle.

Inferior Diamond:
https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
£2,222.40
Carat: 0.6
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut/Symmetry/Polish: Ideal/Excellent/Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth – 61.8
Table – 56
Crown Angle – 35.5
Pavilion Angle – 40.6

Superior Diamond:
https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-y...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
£2088.00
Carat: 0.6
Colour: D
Clarity: VS1
Cut/Symmetry/Polish: Ideal/Excellent/Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Depth – 62.5
Table – 55
Crown Angle – 34.5
Pavilion Angle – 40.6

Thanks

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile is getting those diamonds from a bunch of different wholesalers who set their prices to the retailer. I'm guessing they just have some kind of formula that is like, our price is X.X% over the wholesaler's price. It may have nothing to do with quality and be more about internal cost structures.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run the angles thru the HCA tool. Eliminate stones scoring over 2.

Color and clarity do not make a stone superior or inferior. It’s all a balancing act.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with you the D seems a much better cut stone (from the picture). The face up size is basically the same.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
The G scores 1.3 and the D score 0.9 on the HCA calculator. Both are predicted to be excellent performers.

This is one of many times that pricing seems to make no sense at all. Just the other day there was a diamond posted on the forum that was literally half the price of others with similar spec’s ... we tried to find something wrong with it, lol, but nothing obvious.

Like bludiva, I think they base their retail cost on their purchase price ... maybe some diamonds are recertified old inventory that came in at a low cost ... I wonder if a trade member can explain?

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, this is true, since BN do not own the diamonds and have many vendors inventory there, the price is dependent on the specific vendor's pricing.
Take it before the price will be amended.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results