shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does my diamond photograph like this?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your camera is metering the exposure to the surrounding environment, which is absorbing the wide-band spectrum of white light hitting it and only reflecting back certain colours, therefore only a low percentage of the light that is hitting it.

Your diamond is collecting all the white light hitting it and firing it back out of the crown towards the camera, which means it is considerably brighter - this means it is overexposed compared to the rest of the shot, which means it will just be a blob of white.

You will need to balance the brightness of the background and the brightness of the diamond so your camera can meter for both (because they would be more similar) - try taking a photo against a white background (paper, sand, a flower) and see if it makes a difference :)

Alternatively, you might find your camera can 'spot meter' off the centre point - if it can, point it at the diamond so it meters off that point. The background will look quite dark, most probably, but the diamond should be better exposed.

Diamonds are always hard to take pictures of anyway TBH - there are so many different focal points that unless one shoots with a very high f-number (and therefore a deeper depth of field and a longer exposure) it can be difficult to have both the back and the front of the stone in focus!

Last edited:

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Your camera is metering the exposure to the surrounding environment, which is absorbing the wide-band spectrum of white light hitting it and only reflecting back certain colours, therefore only a low percentage of the light that is hitting it.

Your diamond is collecting all the white light hitting it and firing it back out of the crown towards the camera, which means it is considerably brighter - this means it is overexposed compared to the rest of the shot, which means it will just be a blob of white.

You will need to balance the brightness of the background and the brightness of the diamond so your camera can meter for both (because they would be more similar) - try taking a photo against a white background (paper, sand, a flower) and see if it makes a difference :)

Alternatively, you might find your camera can 'spot meter' off the centre point - if it can, point it at the diamond so it meters off that point. The background will look quite dark, most probably, but the diamond should be better exposed.

Diamonds are always hard to take pictures of anyway TBH - there are so many different focal points that unless one shoots with a very high f-number (and therefore a deeper depth of field and a longer exposure) it can be difficult to have both the back and the front of the stone in focus!
Thank you so much, I was using my iPad ( still learning).:P2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be wrong :razz: but give it a go on a lighter background and report back! :))

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
3515A837-3B44-4966-998B-68B7D5D1FA7C.jpeg C9DC4141-E73A-4500-B353-2734D65F09F8.jpeg
I may be wrong :razz: but give it a go on a lighter background and report back! :))
I gave it a go inside ( I need a decent camera and lessons).

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
3515A837-3B44-4966-998B-68B7D5D1FA7C.jpeg C9DC4141-E73A-4500-B353-2734D65F09F8.jpeg
I gave it a go inside ( I need a decent camera and lessons).
BTW this diamond has very good color and clarity, I’ve always thought that
the cut was great, ( in my limited knowledge ). I’ve had this diamond 18
years and receive compliments every time I wear it. It is a little
intimidating to see all the perfect diamonds on this board, it has me
second guessing on what a “good” diamond is. Whiteflash calling me!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see the faceting much better in those pictures :) although they are slightly blurry - I think it is movement of the camera due to a longer exposure needed to take in enough light when inside.

You could prop the ipad up and set a timer on the camera, so then the camera and the diamond would both definitely be static :)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Luvallgems — keep trying! You will get some clearer pics, but “you miss 100% of the shots you never take.” :lol-2: It is really frustrating at times, but the patience and experimentation is well worth it!

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
@Luvallgems — keep trying! You will get some clearer pics, but “you miss 100% of the shots you never take.” :lol-2: It is really frustrating at times, but the patience and experimentation is well worth it!
I’ll keep trying, thanks :confused2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For every 25 pics I take, one is a keeper. Though tbh I tend to keep them all:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Luvallgems I am no photography expert but what I find helps is focusing on the facets. I only have a phone and I think it takes pretty decent photos when I focus on the facets of the diamond. You can tell with your photos you have a very lovely diamond.:love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results