shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does my cat bite me for no reason??

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of the cats I've had never bite, so not a personal issue. But I had a friend who warned us when we were visiting, that her cat was "not friendly". If you made eye contact, the growling and hissing started. So we avoided eye contact, but apparently just being in her space was enough, and she intermittedly attacked us (scratching and biting). I was like "what the f!" I don't understand why she tolerated that behavior! Why would anyone keep an animal who acted that way?
She told us when she took the cat to the vet to be treated the vet had to wear heavy gloves like they do with feral animals.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This article addresses similar issues and possible causes and strategies:
http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2014/05/31/2-ask-the-cat-behaviorist-my-cat-suddenly-attacks-me-what-do-i-do/
She says don't punish the cat. I'm not sure that I agree with that 100%. If you've already tried everything else, sometimes retaliation works if you are dealing with an aggressive cat. The cat that scratched on my eyelid has a way of starting with a little something to annoy when he's trying to get his way, and then he progressively ramps it up. With him, it's obvious that he's increasing the aggression and hostility with each iteration. That's why I just knocked him right off the bed. What you do depends on the cat's motivation. If a cat became frightened and suddenly bit or scratched me, that's different from one who's obviously just belting me around. My cats are all secondhand cats that came from shelters, were dumped here by unknown owners, or were ones I took in because the original owner wanted to rehome them. 10-20 years ago, local vets weren't putting pets on antianxiety meds much. It's something that might be worth a try, but in some cases I think it decreases the animal's quality of life and makes them too drugged or perhaps disoriented.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Some really good links to think about here. It makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one with a terrorist cat!

Missy, my cats are true ferals. The two outside cats that I feed I had found hiding in a tree in our yard as young kittens. I would leave food out for the mother who was very frightened. She would run away even from 200 feet or more when she got sight of me. Every day I would put the food closer and closer to the back porch until maybe 6 or 8 weeks later they got used to seeing me put out food. I eventually trapped the 2 kittens to have spayed. I trapped the mother next and had her spayed. She almost took off my hand when I went to put food into the cage after her surgery. After two days of recovery I released her. She did not return to our yard for over a year and a half! When she returned she would come to eat but never let me too near to her.
The girls let me near them when I feed them but don't let me pick them up. Once in a while they will let me scratch their heads when they come to eat. No way I could get them to a vet if I had to other than trapping.
We found the male who terrorizes me one summer after returning from vacation. He looked like ET because he was so malnourished. All eyes and bloated stomach and no fat . I would never put him down. I could never do that to an animal unless it was too sick to heal. He had so many health issues. I do wonder if some of his aggressive behavior is from the fact he was weaned so young and never socialized with other cats. That makes sense to me. He will also only eat wellness brand tuna packs. Spoiled brat haha. The vet said we can only feed him wet food after he had a urinary blockage and $1300 vet bill!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1454455828|3985872 said:
My Jack is on Prosac. He's a wiggy little ball of anxiety.

It can help them. But it is a 40 dollar a month expense. And I prefer always to try behavioral adjustment before medication.

Also, you can try this: https://www.chewy.com/cat/sentry-hc-good-behavior-pheromone/dp/56473?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Sentry&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLh6xG3YbOnkDAOwwItUE6Z0c34J4m1leioe_LvbmnikaAu_C8P8HAQ Jack was allergic to it. But while he had it on, it worked like a charm. Just be sure to check under the collar every couple of days for a reaction.

Gypsy, could you not ahem be on Prozac ahem and pay the pennies generic costs now on most insurance? LOL, I've been on Xanax in the past for my female Westie when she was recovering from hip replacement and very nervous about our male Westie being anywhere near her. Xanax for me on my insurance is less than $1 for 30 pills, for Xanax not on insurance it was like your Prozac, around $35.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BB, I feel your gorgeous studly little guy there is peeved that you come back from the Miami Antique Jewelry Show every year WITH NOTHING FOR HIM!!! He is telling you the only way he knows how that he wants some quality bling :angryfire: :love: :lol:

Or maybe fresh Copper River Salmon. That might do in a pinch.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bbziggy|1454536525|3986451 said:
Some really good links to think about here. It makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one with a terrorist cat!

Missy, my cats are true ferals. The two outside cats that I feed I had found hiding in a tree in our yard as young kittens. I would leave food out for the mother who was very frightened. She would run away even from 200 feet or more when she got sight of me. Every day I would put the food closer and closer to the back porch until maybe 6 or 8 weeks later they got used to seeing me put out food. I eventually trapped the 2 kittens to have spayed. I trapped the mother next and had her spayed. She almost took off my hand when I went to put food into the cage after her surgery. After two days of recovery I released her. She did not return to our yard for over a year and a half! When she returned she would come to eat but never let me too near to her.
The girls let me near them when I feed them but don't let me pick them up. Once in a while they will let me scratch their heads when they come to eat. No way I could get them to a vet if I had to other than trapping.
We found the male who terrorizes me one summer after returning from vacation. He looked like ET because he was so malnourished. All eyes and bloated stomach and no fat . I would never put him down. I could never do that to an animal unless it was too sick to heal. He had so many health issues. I do wonder if some of his aggressive behavior is from the fact he was weaned so young and never socialized with other cats. That makes sense to me. He will also only eat wellness brand tuna packs. Spoiled brat haha. The vet said we can only feed him wet food after he had a urinary blockage and $1300 vet bill!

Thank you for going into further detail and thank you for taking care of these feral cats bbziggy! And I am relieved they have you to take care of them!!! I didn't really think you would put him down but since you mentioned it I just wanted to make sure. They are so lucky to have you and your wonderful care! (((HUGS))) to you and to them. And I hope you can get the biting problem resolved.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
aww thanks Missy :) .I think Mr Kitkat and I have a love hate relationship!! I am going to try and resolve his biting issue if I can. I can tell how much you love animals! Would love to meet you someday. :wavey:

Azstonie you are a hoot!! Got to get you to the show next year! Think we could have fun!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1454536700|3986453 said:
Gypsy|1454455828|3985872 said:
My Jack is on Prosac. He's a wiggy little ball of anxiety.

It can help them. But it is a 40 dollar a month expense. And I prefer always to try behavioral adjustment before medication.

Also, you can try this: https://www.chewy.com/cat/sentry-hc-good-behavior-pheromone/dp/56473?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Sentry&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxMG1BRDFmu3P3qjwmeMBEiQAEzSDLh6xG3YbOnkDAOwwItUE6Z0c34J4m1leioe_LvbmnikaAu_C8P8HAQ Jack was allergic to it. But while he had it on, it worked like a charm. Just be sure to check under the collar every couple of days for a reaction.

Gypsy, could you not ahem be on Prozac ahem and pay the pennies generic costs now on most insurance? LOL, I've been on Xanax in the past for my female Westie when she was recovering from hip replacement and very nervous about our male Westie being anywhere near her. Xanax for me on my insurance is less than $1 for 30 pills, for Xanax not on insurance it was like your Prozac, around $35.

I am not good a reading between the lines. Are you saying that if it went through my human health insurnce it would be. cheaper?

Xanax is not good for their liver I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results