shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do these J color diamonds look so different?

Diamond4me

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Link 1: https://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/10078616/
Link 2: https://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/9955419/

In link 1, the diamond looks dark yellow/brown compared to link 2 which looks lighter yellow. Is this due to lighting, or would the diamond in link 1 be considered lower on the J spectrum than link 2? Side-by-side eye-level review, would 1 actually look darker than 2?

Follow-up question: Link 1 has HCA of 1.3 and link 2 of 1.8. Link 1 price is $1,575 CAD cheaper than link 2 (I wrote down link 2 price before it was sold). I'm wondering if once set (in rose gold) the better option between the two is link 1 due to the better HCA.

Link 1:
1606538072337.png

Link 2:
1606538093641.png

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I recently watched a youtube video by Jannpaul Diamonds about tinted diamonds, super interesting. Not sure if this is what's happening here but it might be worth watching. Basically they talk about how diamonds can be classified as G, H, I, J etc but can also have an undertone which may not be disclosed. I am still very new to all of this so I might be completely wrong about these particular 2 diamonds but its a good thing to know about regardless :)

Last edited:

Diamond4me

Rough_Rock
Yes, #1 has a brownish hue.
That should show up as a lower price all other factors being equal.

Would this hue actually be easily noticeable once set? Would the fact that the HCA is significantly better mask the hue?

Diamond4me

Rough_Rock
I recently watched a youtube video by Jannpaul Diamonds about tinted diamonds, super interesting. Not sure if this is what's happening here but it might be worth watching. Basically they talk about how diamonds can be classified as G, H, I, J etc but can also have an undertone which may not be disclosed. I am still very new to all of this so I might be completely wrong about these particular 2 diamonds but its a good thing to know about regardless :)

Very interesting. I didn’t know about brown/grey/green undertones and how they’re not listed on GIA report for color J-D.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would this hue actually be easily noticeable once set? Would the fact that the HCA is significantly better mask the hue?
The HCA of 1.3 vs 1.8 isn’t significantly better.
HCA is relatively binary - under 2 = worth considering, over 2 probably not worth considering.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry is right on the secondary color. Brown tint diamonds carry a discount, but truthfully, can trick the eye better than a yellow tint of the same intensity. Light brown tinted at the J level of color can look superior to yellow tinted ones, regardless of the way dealers decide to price them. It is more a matter of taste than having something "wrong". You have to get an understanding of what you personally prefer and then work, as well as you are able with the haggling and buying processes.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
There was a thread not too long ago about Ks with a brown undertone. Someone posted a gorgeous K EC (?) and the color was subtle and beautiful. It sent me scurrying off to look for one.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, #1 has a brownish hue.
That should show up as a lower price all other factors being equal.

Above 1ct well cut round round H non fluorescent is noticeable in some lighting.
I would set a brownish J in rose gold and expect to notice the color most of the time.
So you need to like it - many old cut lovers call them "warm".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results