color
clarity

Why do people create computer viruses?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a power thing?
Are they psychopaths?
Are they adolescents rebelling against society?

What's the payoff? Bragging rights with their hacking, pubescent scumbag 'friends'?
... I'm not talking about criminals who profit from identify theft, harm a government or political party they don't like, or a company that fired them.
Their motives are obvious.

I'm asking about those who create things that erase your and my hard drive, etc.
What do they do when they find out zillions were affected by their virus, grab a beer and jerk off? :knockout:
What's going on in their heads?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a challenge to them. There is no doubt that it takes time, talent, and lateral thinking to build a program from scratch that overtakes thousands of computers. I am secretly impressed by the viruses that do no real harm - the ones that make your monitor flicker on Halloween, or flip your uncompressed bitmap files on every Friday the 13th. I suppose I can compare viruses to graffiti. Most of it is damaging, inappropriate, and criminal. But sometimes, when done in an eyesore of an area with real talent, I enjoy it. Right or wrong.

With today's reliance on electronic devices, viruses are almost a form of terrorism.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Same reason vandals destroy other people's physical property. Those of us who would never consider wrecking someone else's stuff just can't relate.

liz

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking vandalism too. Those who do nothing to be proud of wanting to make their mark on the world.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For fun. Sometimes people just do stuff like this for fun. Whatevs!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps for the same reason people deliberately start fires - sit back, in anonymity, and watch the enormity of the effect you have created.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest assorted reasons - fun, vanity, they can, notoriety, a power trip.

I don't know if this is true but I've heard some of the viruses are created by the same people who then sell you the virus detecting / protecting software. In the days of floppy drives I got the "die hard" virus and it absolutely destroyed all our files and software. Once programs starting acting up you would try to reinstall them and the virus added a line to the executables of the install disk so we had to replace all of our software too.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
justginger said:
I think it is a challenge to them. There is no doubt that it takes time, talent, and lateral thinking to build a program from scratch that overtakes thousands of computers. I am secretly impressed by the viruses that do no real harm - the ones that make your monitor flicker on Halloween, or flip your uncompressed bitmap files on every Friday the 13th. I suppose I can compare viruses to graffiti. Most of it is damaging, inappropriate, and criminal. But sometimes, when done in an eyesore of an area with real talent, I enjoy it. Right or wrong.

With today's reliance on electronic devices, viruses are almost a form of terrorism.

Interesting and insightful comparison. I agree completely!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is the anti virus companies that make them and send them out so more people buy their product.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For attention. The virus gets big enough, we will be hearing about it on the news. Then the virus makers know they've been noticed. Ridiculous, I know.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
To help stimulate the economy :Up_to_something:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1360681396|3378250 said:
To help stimulate the economy :Up_to_something:

Heyyyy...don't I know you from 4chan?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Because douche-ness also varies.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Because douche-ness also varies.

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
Most likely to show off their skills. They probably try to "one-up" eachother with who has the most powerful virus. It's likely they all run in the same Internet circles and forums. Bizarre.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results