shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are we so lazy about our health?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL has gained a lot of weight over the last four years since her husband died. I think he must have been keeping her honest. She is diabetic, eats sweets ALL the time and her whole existence seems to be focused on food. I would say she is at least 100 pounds overweight. And she constantly complains about how she has no energy, her back and knees hurt her, etc. It has been obvious to me for a long time that it is all due to her weight. And she is almost 80 years old. She DRIVES the 50 yards to her mailbox to get the mail. NO physical activity AT ALL. Today they were going to go in and look at her heart to do an possible angioplasty and the didn''t do it because it turned out that her heart was fine. Her doctor said her weight is the problem.

I was watching a thing on Today this morning about marketing junk and fast food to young children. They are doing a show on Dateline about it tonight. The fast food industry says it is parents responsibility to monitor what their children eat and the parents say with all the advertising aimed at young children, they can''t stop their kids from wanting all the junk.

We keep hearing that obesity is at epidemic proportions in this country. Parents give their children soda and candy. Why? Why on EARTH would you feed your children soda and candy?

Some parents claim they have to go to fast food places due to time constraints. Why are AMERICANS the only ones like this? We don''t see huge Asian people and huge European people? Why do we eat so unhealthy? Is it marketing? Is it time? If so, why do WE have so much less time to prepare nutritious meals than people in other countries? Are we lazier? Is it because we need two jobs to maintain a household and therefore, we have no time? Why do we need two jobs? To buy more stuff?

Are we just victims of our culture that is entirely focused on the consumption of more stuff?

What are your thoughts on all of this? Sometimes it depresses me to live in a place that seems so entirely focused on stuff. I won''t say I am guilt free about any of it. I shop. I eat. I love sweets. I get tired of cooking. I will say my kids have never had soda, candy (except a bite on Halloween) or McDonalds.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I am the one to say this because I don't have kids and truly don't understand all it takes to raise them. Being consistent and disciplined with kids seems like such a tough job to me (from watching my friends who do a darn good job).

My friend makes healthy dinners every night. Her kids didn't have sweets for the first early years (in fact, they still aren't huge fans of it). She makes sure they get their exercise. She is also a stay at home mom who can afford to do so because her hubby is a doc. She's a full time mom and it is WORK. She is so exhausted at the end of the day. I can only imagine how tough it is for parents who do have day jobs...it must be so much easier to give in and take the kids to mickey D's, or bribe the kid with some candy to get some peace around the house.

I have seen under 2 year olds screaming and crying because they want McDonalds. I can't imagine, but obviously there are plenty of kids out there like this. I'll never forget something I saw years ago...I was on a vacation by myself skiing and was hanging out late one night at a lodge. There was a father and his young overweight daughter (probably no more than 10). She had a HUGE tumbler of coke in her hands and slurped it down in a matter of SECONDS. Then she held it out to her dad asking for more, which he promptly got her. Not only were the calories ridiculous, but who gives their kid that much caffeine so late at night? It was so disturbing, I had to walk away.

Regarding Europeans and Asians...it's just a matter of time. American fast food chains have been here longer (obviously). You should see the next generation of asian kids...they aren't built like they used to be...they are BIGGER!

ETA: Speaking of asians...a timely article today about how chinese kids are getting bigger. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060818/hl_nm/china_obesity_dc_1

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is all the things you mentioned. It is definitely the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are eating healthy. They do the shopping & therefore should be picking healthier options. If the parents are overweight & unhealthy their children most likely will be too. These days babies are born big, check out this article http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/living/people/family/15239258.htm?source=rss&channel=kansas_family My husband hardly ever got sweets as a kid & as an adult doesnt care for cookies, candy, etc... (I am the sweets monster
18.gif
)
We also live in a convenience driven society. It is much easier to to pick a meal from Mcdonalds than it is to prepare something from scratch at home. Most familes have the mother & father working & by the time they get home they have kids to care for, house to clean etc... We work more in the U.S. than in other countries. A survey by Management Recruiters International of 730 U.S. executives in 2003 found that 47 percent surveyed wouldn't use all their vacation time, and 58 percent said that the reason was job pressures. This same study also found that 35 percent said that they had too much work to take a vacation and that 17 percent felt that their boss was not supportive of employees taking all of their vacation days.

In another study by Expedia.com in 2003 they estimated that there was $21 billion in unused vacation time for that year. After repeating this study in 2004 they found that 35 percent of employees didn't take all their time off because of job pressures. This reflects the findings in the above-mentioned survey by Management Recruiters International. You can read more of this article here

http://www.braunconsulting.com/bcg/newsletters/winter2004/winter20044.html

Yes, Laziness is also a huge factor.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
first off, americans work way more than many other countries, so they are accustomed to a 'convenience' lifestyle because there is not typically enough time for it all. also, many mom's work as well, so there is not as much time for the home cooked meal or to monitor what the kids are doing between 3pm when they get home ant 6pm when the parents do or similar. things have changed in the last 20/30/50 years between our parents and grandparents generations and our own. just think back to how different your childhood was and compare it to what kids do nowadays. even just the amount of tv watching vs getting out and playing with the neighborhood kids. i wasn't allowed to have sweet cereal, white bread, sugary anything when i was a kid. sure i wanted it because other kids had it but instead i ate wheat bread, fresh fruits, i didn't get soda or candy or any sort of fun cereal, i ate things like all bran etc. not a lot of fun for a kid, but now that i am older, i am thankful that my mom was strict about that kind of stuff when it would have just been 'easier' to give me whatever i wanted. i think that some of these changes have to do with the changes in parenting now. parents seem so much more lax about their kids now, in terms of behavior and things like what the kids want. it's more emphasis on what makes the child happy instead of whats really good for them. all this positive affirmation of the children as humans rather than 'mommy knows best'. but back to adults and lifestyles. there is a huge 'convenience' factor in adult lifestyles. it's easier to go out and get dinner than make it at home. it's easier to drive to the store than walk. people don't have as much time as they used to and their jobs are typically more stressful than our parents were most likely as people's education levels rise and people are tasked with longer hours, higher costs of living etc. americans are obsessed with work, other countries (well besides maybe japan) are typically not. they work to live and americans live to work.

in any case, people ARE lazy about things like health and activity and what they eat. americans are famous for it. it takes a lot to effect a lifestyle change. i just can't imagine who would want to eat at mcdonalds every night or something? and who wants their kids to as well? but i pass the mcdonalds all the time and there is always a huge line out of the drive through at 6pm with suv's filling it.
20.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
As the mother of a 20 month old, I can only say, Moderation in all.

My son doesn''t eat McDonalds, but that is only because we have McMenamins ( sit-down brewpub-hippy burger joints/theaters...great euro B&B inns...interesting place to eat) and Burgerville (fast food, but uses "never frozen, always organic local meat & produce" only available in Oregon & Washington).

so yea, Jake gets a cheeseburger, frenchfries & part of a chocolate shake a few times a month.

BUT...my kid eats broccoli, tomatoes, Kashi Go lean, Ezekiels sprouted grain bread, high fiber whole grain pastas, peas, squash, endemame, any and all foods you put in front of him.

He also comes from a very athletic family ( I trained for the Olympics, never made it, husband played college basketball) and we still work out 4 to 5 times a week. I''m thin, husband is thin, my family is thin. I have to watch my weight, or else it goes up, but then I''m 35 and short, so what do I expect?

But I make sure we eat lots of fruits and veggies each day, only buy the leanest cuts of organic meat, avoid using any kind of Transfats in the house, never have chips, soda, or junk food at home.

That way, when we do go out, if we feel like having some good ol'' greasy pizza, well then hey...I ran 4 miles and did my weights, so bring it on!

For us, its all about moderation. I also let my son have a little bit of candy if I''m having some, because, well, I don''t believe sugar is as evil as they say. He''s been brushing his teeth since he was 11 months old, and I don''t want him to be that kid who pigs out on candy as soon as he''s out of my sight, because mom was just too strict about it.

He''s also in the 7th percentile for weight, and 85th to 90th percentile for height...so his ped says, with all the fruits n veggies that he eats, he deserves a treat now & then. My husband was 6''1" and 145lbs when he graduated from highschool. My dad is 6''4" and 190lbs. We can''t feed these men ENOUGH food.

As for kids whining for McDonalds? Well, whining never gets anything out of me, except silence, so that won''t work. I can tune out the most pissed off toddler & my son has learned that if he whines, he gets ignored, so he just stops.

I think its determining your family''s health needs, and in this house of active, slender, 90% of the time healthy food eating folks, we can afford to treat ourselves with goodies.

Besides, we''ve got a basketball court (halfcourt sized...its awesome) in our backyard & all my son & husband do is go out there and shoot hoops when they are home. Its a great workout for me, because I have to lower the hoop to lift my son up to it, and he wants that a hundred times a day. Its a great arm workout.....But he''s almost 2 years old and still only weighs 22lbs. Someone give that kid a cheeseburger...PLEASE!

Jeannine

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Kids don''t whine for McD''s. candy, soda, or anything else if they haven''t learned from experience that the whining will pay off. When my kids are adults they can decide for themselves what to eat, but as long as I''m in charge of cooking and grocery shopping it would be just plain irresponsible of me to damage their long-term health by filling the kitchen with pre-packaged junk food.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
houston texas has an obesity problem. the world has a fuel problem. it is HOT most of the year. the city has grown around the use of cars. public transportation is poor at best. there are no sidewalks (pavements for brits). it is not safe to walk anywhere or you may be hit by a car.

i know people who take thier car to get the mail from the mailbox 50 yards away. rediculous.
i know people who will not allow their kids to walk to the school within sight of the house.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think also there is such a lack of activity in some people''s daily lives. Consider a few years ago maybe in the ''forties and fifties. Many people had to walk everywhere, often miles or cycle many times a day. House work was far more strenuous due to the lack of household machines. Rugs had to be thrown over a washing line and beaten, floors scrubbed on hands and knees, bathtubs scoured, washing done by hand and ironing, most cooking involved a great deal of standing and back and forth across the kitchen etc.

Children used to be able to go out to play safely and play games, climb trees, run, swim, walk to and from school often for miles. TV ''s were non existent and daily life included plenty of physical activity which was considered normal and necessary. Food was plain, plenty of carbs and sugar maybe and fat, but lots of vegetables and again the excess calories were used in daily life. Sweets or candy were a rare treat, I believe that during rationing, 4 oz a week was allowed.

So with todays lifestyle of convenience food whenever you want it, unlimited sweets and icecream, and lack of exercise, it is no wonder it is hard to stay slim and we have to make an extra effort to do so and fight the sedentary lifestyle. Also I am not a parent, but I think moderation is the key with junk and ''treat'' food for parents and kids and it is up to the parent to set the example.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2006 10:00:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
I think also there is such a lack of activity in some people''s daily lives. Consider a few years ago maybe in the ''forties and fifties. Many people had to walk everywhere, often miles or cycle many times a day. House work was far more strenuous due to the lack of household machines. Rugs had to be thrown over a washing line and beaten, floors scrubbed on hands and knees, bathtubs scoured, washing done by hand and ironing, most cooking involved a great deal of standing and back and forth across the kitchen etc.

Children used to be able to go out to play safely and play games, climb trees, run, swim, walk to and from school often for miles. TV ''s were non existent and daily life included plenty of physical activity which was considered normal and necessary. Food was plain, plenty of carbs and sugar maybe and fat, but lots of vegetables and again the excess calories were used in daily life. Sweets or candy were a rare treat, I believe that during rationing, 4 oz a week was allowed.

So with todays lifestyle of convenience food whenever you want it, unlimited sweets and icecream, and lack of exercise, it is no wonder it is hard to stay slim and we have to make an extra effort to do so and fight the sedentary lifestyle. Also I am not a parent, but I think moderation is the key with junk and ''treat'' food for parents and kids and it is up to the parent to set the example.

Lorelei----

I always smile at your tagline..."I love finding new places to wear diamonds"...so tell me..when will you be ordering your "grill"? Did you see this last night on Teen Choice awards? My husband made me watch it, he wanted to see K-Fed sing...(ahem...it was a train wreck--our morbid curiosity got us). but they had an award for best "Grill"....diamond studded tooth covers.

I downloaded Nelly''s "Grillz" because I like Nelly when I run, and that song cracks me up..apparently he has a 30ct grill. ohh to have 30 carats....

But it is a new place to wear diamonds!!!

Jeannine

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 4:59:31 PM
Author: Mara
first off, americans work way more than many other countries, so they are accustomed to a ''convenience'' lifestyle because there is not typically enough time for it all.

I dunno. The rest of the world calls us "fat, lazy Americans." There''s a reason for that. I''ve travelled to other countries. I''d agree that we work more than some contries, but to use the word "many" seems quite wrong in my experience.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually codex, there was an article in a paper (i can''t recall, i read it on a plane!) a few years ago about basically how americans work WAY more than basically any other country...and it addressed the whole ''americans live to work'' whereas other countries ''work to live''...aka how we have more vacation time built up than any other country, americans go to work early and leave late, americans have the highest stress levels, etc etc. they talked about how americans feel guilt when they go on vacation whereas other countries, when they are outside of work they never think of it. anyway it was interesting. our lifestyles now are built around convenience and the busy work lives that people live and how they have to fit family and all of that in with it as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that moderation is key. I have kids and I do give them snack food from time to time or let them pick out a fun cereal at the grocery store. But, once it's gone, it's gone for a while. they also eats lots of fruit and veggies, i only buy whole grain bread, pasta, frozen pizza etc. and they eat a wide varity of foods. My kids love milk and prefer it when we have to make a fast food dinner which is only once or twice a month. I think the lack of excercise is actually a HUGE contributor. Kids sit in from the TV watcing shows or playing video games, bigger kids are on ichat or myspace and don't go out and ride bikes and play like I did when I was a kid. I take my kids swimming just about every day in the summer, they burn a ton of calories and will be more likely to eat what i make for dinner because they are so hungry
11.gif
. They take swimming lessons and dance classes during the school year to keep them active. My mom is from the south and I grew up on mashed potatoes, fried chicken, homemade yeast rolls etc. she cooked with a lot of butter
18.gif
. I was never overweight as a child but was outside riding my bike or playing everyday. kids just don't do that today, or adults for that matter
40.gif
. I do think the convenience of fast food, just the number of resaurants doesn't help. there is a Mcdonald's 5 blocks from my house, and a bunch of other fast food places up the street from there. If I worked outside of the home, it would be very tempting to just drive through and pick up dinner instead of heating up the oven and cooking over a hot stove when it's 95 degress outside. Capitolism at it's best, good for the economy, bad for our bodies...

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 2:33:01 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 8/18/2006 4:59:31 PM
first off, americans work way more than many other countries, so they are accustomed to a 'convenience' lifestyle because there is not typically enough time for it all.

I dunno. The rest of the world calls us 'fat, lazy Americans.' There's a reason for that. I've travelled to other countries. I'd agree that we work more than some contries, but to use the word 'many' seems quite wrong in my experience.
I have to agree with Codex--I think a more likely culprit is that we watch TV more than other cultures! We've all heard the statistics on how many hours a day the average American watches, and it kind of kills the "too busy" argument.
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 3:36:44 PM
actually codex, there was an article in a paper (i can''t recall, i read it on a plane!) a few years ago about basically how americans work WAY more than basically any other country...and it addressed the whole ''americans live to work'' whereas other countries ''work to live''...aka how we have more vacation time built up than any other country, americans go to work early and leave late, americans have the highest stress levels, etc etc. they talked about how americans feel guilt when they go on vacation whereas other countries, when they are outside of work they never think of it. anyway it was interesting. our lifestyles now are built around convenience and the busy work lives that people live and how they have to fit family and all of that in with it as well.
Pretty sad to think that Asian countries are actually worse than we are. Makes Americans look like sissies. I worked for a Taiwanese company once...I was pretty rebellious leaving at 6 pm!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I once had a coworker who was several years older than me. We worked for a county government as appraisers so we had lots of time to chat. He told me the story of how when he was a boy, they got their first tv set. He really thought that was the downfall of modern civilization and while it sounds silly first, when he described how it change his life, I had to wonder.
He said his family used to sit down together to eat meals and do things as a family but after the tv, they all ate in front of the tv and stopped doing other stuff. He went on and on about it and I thought it was interesting.
Did anyone see the movie Avalon?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hee thanks Diver
35.gif

I didn''t see the show as I am in the UK, but watching Kfed try to sing must have been toe curlingly dreadful and I admire your and your Hubby''s courage! I don''t think I could have done it!

My sig line comes from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Marilyn''s character Lorelei Lee tries on Lady Piggy''s tiara and thinks it is a necklace, as she hasn''t seen a tiara before. When Lady Piggy says '' no dear, you wear it on your head like this" Lorelei says " I just love finding new places to wear diamonds!"

So I thought it was apt!

But I don''t know if I would go so far as to try diamond studded covers for teefs!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results