shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are huskies able to stand on snow without "shoes"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know why are huskies able to stand on snow without any protection? Aren''t their paws cold?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Good question. Polar bears also don''t seem to have a problem with it either.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read that some huskies have special snow booties.

TBone_Snow_Dogs.jpg

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/5/2009 6:24:17 PM
Author: Maisie
I read that some huskies have special snow booties.

Haha! We tried to put our yorkie in those and he just stood there... wouldnt move a muscle! Apparently they freaked him out way too much.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
they keep moving.
Which is why boots are used 1 so they can stand still, 2 provide protection from cuts.
When it is really cold they will not stand still if they aren't moving they will lay down.

Other than that it is adaptation, thick soles, padding and lots of blood flow.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet they have really fluffy toe whiskers.

And in case anyone is wondering, toe whiskers are the tufts of fur that stick out between kitties'' toes. I imagine dogs have them too, though! My Maine Coon kitty has super fluffy toe whiskers, as do all Maine Coons, so their paws can withstand the cold!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
The only two places a dog sweats out heat from their bodies are mouth (panting) and pads of the feet. There is a lot of blood flow through the pads.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results