shape
carat
color
clarity

Who would you leave your blings to?

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
let's say you don't have daughters, just boys. Would you leave your jewelry to your daugher-in-law knowing that not all marriages may last forever? What would you want to do with your blings and watches and pearls when you are gone?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Leave them to my sons to do with as they wished - I would be dead and therefore never know if they flogged the lot and went to Barbados on the proceeds.

Since no-one gets my bling while I am still alive, I think it's more likely that the situation would be more about only having grandsons since with any luck we will all live long enough to see our grandchildren and not knowing what would happen to their marriages rather than my childrens.

Fortunately, I have a bling-loving daughter!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL has 3 boys and she is leaving her bling to her granddaughters which I think is a very good solution. I could see how you might not want to leave your jewelry to your DIL because hey you never know if she will always be in the family. If you do not have daughters or granddaughters that is a bit more tricky but as Pandora wrote you could always leave it to your sons and let them decide.

We have no children and I am leaving all my bling to my nieces (and sister).

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My bling will be divided equally between my son and daughter. Heirlooms don't have to be worn to appreciate their history. They can be held on to and passed to the next generation. My daughter loves my size 6 pave e-ring but it'll never fit her tiny 4.24 finger. So far my son has only dated tiny Asian girls with teeny tiny fingers! Oh well, I won't be around to worry about where my Leon Mege ring ends up.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Oh, one thing that I will add is that DIL's aren't always unappreciative of family heirlooms!

My husband's family are German Jewish and those that could managed to flee Germany at the beginning of WWII, but lost everything in the process. His grandfather was the 4th generation of a well-known (and sadly highly collectable) jewellery and silver firm that no longer exists.

My parents gave me some money to buy a piece of art or jewellery for my birthday and I managed to track down an aquamarine brooch that had been made by his great grandfather in about 1906. I love the fact that it has the history as well as being a beautiful piece anyway.

I don't believe that we will ever divorce, but if we did I would certainly leave it to my daughter and if I had no children I would have given it to a member of the family who would appreciate the significance. As it is my FIL is shocked and delighted that I made the effort and took an interest in tracking one down and spending money on it.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a son and a daughter and plan on leaving my jewellery to both of them. If I were to inherit jewellery from my husbands mother and we then split up, I would either give the jewellery to our daughter or return it to my husband.

I am happy to assume that most other women would do the same until proved otherwise.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
My mother-in-law is giving me a diamond ring from her mother-in-law's collection (after checking with my father-in-law's brother) because I admired the ring, and the two granddaughters have no interest in it. I was very touched at the gesture, but not completely surprised. She always does things to make me feel loved and welcome in their family.

I don't plan on divorcing my husband any time soon, or ever, and I wouldn't have a problem giving jewelry to a future daughter-in-law. I think my willingness to part with a piece would depend on the item though. I would probably have no problem passing valuable pieces to a daughter-in-law, but would favor my daughter or granddaughter for very sentimental gifts, regardless of monetary value. A $10,000 right hand ring purchase by my mother in her old age? If the DIL would get the most value out of it, then great! But my grandmother's pearls that were given to her on her wedding day, were worn by my mother on her wedding day, and are literally THE thing I'd grab in a fire... I doubt they're worth very much, but they are priceless to me. I would give them to my daughter or granddaughter. The DIL can borrow them on her wedding day though if she wants.

PS - I think it's quite silly that I'm plotting out my jewelry will, considering I have no children! :twirl:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother's family has a tradition of passing the jewelry down to the granddaughters. (I wear my grandmother's ring, she wore her grandmother's locket, etc.) I plan to do the same thing. If there are no granddaughters, who knows? I'll figure that out later. :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I am blessed to live until my 80's, I would likely leave most of my jewelry to granddaughters. But since I do have daughters, I'd split the major pieces between them and then leave all the granddaughters something. I'm collecting for that reason. :lol: :naughty:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had no daughters, then they would go to granddaughters. If no granddaughters, then grandsons. If no grandchildren, then DIL.

I don't want my MIL's jewelry. I hope she passes them all to her daughter and grandchildren. I would appreciate the sentiment, but I think her daughter and daugther's daughter would appreciate it more, having grown up with seeing the jewelry on her. The ring we gave my MIL for her 60th, apparently will be passed down to Amelia (which she told me when I was there and I appreciate.) She has already told me I'm getting one of three pearl necklaces, as this specific one is very sentimental to TGuy.

My mother will be leaving 90% of her jewelry to me.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
thank you all for sharing your thoughts. My FIL did give me a diamond ring but i have never worn it cos frankly it doesn't mean much to me, not like something from my own mom/dad/grannies. After reading your posts, i realize that maybe my biggest concern is whether my things will still be valued, appreciated. Cos in a way, they are part of me and I would hope that they can, once in a blue moon, remind the new owner of an old grannie who once wore them ;-)

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
BTW TravelingGal, I enjoy watching your matchstick gal in red heels banging her head on the wall :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll leave them to my son(s) or granddaughters or grandsons. Maybe a niece if I ever have one, though it seems like hub's brothers don't ever want to get married.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My sister has 3 boys, one is married and his wife had a baby girl a few months ago. She gave one of my mother's pieces to her DIL and said that she will leave the rest of her jewelry to her grandchildren, whether they are boys or girls. She really wants to keep the pieces in the family as we also have our grandmother's jewelry.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
We have a son and expecting, boy-girl doesn't really matter, what matters to me is being remembered as a just parent therefore, everything will be evenly divided between the two upon my death.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have two boys. One will get my eng. diamond and the other will get the diamond from my mom's eng ring (which I currently have set into a DBTY). Both diamonds are similar in size but the slightly smaller one has a higher color grade. They can give them to their future wives...that is fine.

Not sure about everything else. I don't have enough jewelry to have an heirloom-like collection so if I had three grandaughters, there'd be a problem finding an equal amount to distribute. Maybe I should explain this to my husband now so we can stock up on diamonds to pass down! ;-)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any children so my collection will probably be divvied up between my two nieces. Except for my OMC which I'll give to my godson to either a) use as an engagement ring when the time comes (he's only 12) or b) sell to help fund a ring.

I'd like to think they'd love and cherish my collection but the more likely scenario is that they'll take one look at it and go "wow, Aunt Kismet had crap taste. I'm selling this stuff."

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet|1320876211|3058092 said:
I don't have any children so my collection will probably be divvied up between my two nieces. Except for my OMC which I'll give to my godson to either a) use as an engagement ring when the time comes (he's only 12) or b) sell to help fund a ring.

I'd like to think they'd love and cherish my collection but the more likely scenario is that they'll take one look at it and go "wow, Aunt Kismet had crap taste. I'm selling this stuff."

NO WAY! But just in case I'll take the emerald ring... :bigsmile:

Good question otherwise. I have no idea.

cheers--Sharon

sparkle-magpie

Rough_Rock
This is such a good question. I can't even come up with a real answer now, but thank you for the thought provoking question!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stuff will be split between my boys, I dont have much so it wont really matter who gets what...my MIL is still alive and she doesnt have much stuff but so far she has given everything of value to her daughters or grand daughters, I personally dont care what she does with her stuff, but it doesnt seem fair to leave out her only son or her grandson's (there are 4, two of them are my boys), they might not be able to use or wear it, but it would be something they could remember her by and maybe one day they could pass it on to there kids.....just my thoughts. My Mom is giving everything to me and my sisters to be split evenly...her 1.97 CT OEC diamond is to have shared custody, lol, I think we are going to set it in a necklace and each of us will have monthly visitation...lol

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess my sons wives? I haven't thought of that yet. lol

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I used to say I would give my diamonds to granddaughters or nieces if I didn't have any girls. But that all changed when my MIL gave me some of her special pieces when M was born. It just meant so much to me. My MIL is practically like my own mother and we are very close. I tell her about vacations I am planning - just us girls - when M is bigger and her eyes sparkle like it's Christmas! God forbid DH and I split up, but in a hypothetical like that, I would totally return the pieces to MIL or give them to M, which is probably what she would prefer in that case anyway. We have also given MIL special pieces of jewelry and I expect they will come back to us for M down the road...but hoping that never happens! ;( I hope our parents live forever!!!! At least until 300!!!! Is that asking too much??? I might as well ship them all to Okinawa to increase their life expectancy!!!

:love:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so far, i have no children. Of my siblings, only my one sister (so far) has a child, and he's a baby boy. I hope my sister has a little girl someday (soon ;)) )

My mom's only sister is an amazing woman who i love very much - one day at a family function, she pulled me into a room and gave me a BEAUTIFUL amythese ring she had found for me at an auction. Another day, she gave me AN AMAZING eternity band that she didn't wear anymore and thought i would like. Similarly, she gave my sister a gorgeous necklace she thought she would love out of her collection. I'll never forget how loved both my sister and I felt at her generousity - it's pretty great (especially at our ages - 35+) to have something that will always make you remember a family member who treasured you.

I hope if I don't have children, I can someday be that aunt to one or more of my siblings' children. I've really cherished these memories.

EDIT: I love my nephew more than i can imagine and if my sister never has a girl, I would probably leave it for him and hiswife/children (although i hope i am around to meet them!)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 2 boys and then we were lucky to have a daughter. I know my daughter has her eye already on some of my treasures and I'm feeling pretty healthy, so she's not getting it any time soon! My boys will hopefully remember me wearing whatever the significant items were, but I too am concerned about items going to a DIL as marriages don't always last as long as they did 'way back when' (isn't that right, Kim Kardashian??)

But... if I'm dead, I'm not taking them with me, so I just hope whoever gets them, loves them as much as I do now :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: (oh... and please do not sell them!)

And I love Diamondseeker 2006's comment - "that's why I'm collecting them" !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one! Its so practical to collect a lot of diamonds now, so you have jewels for your family to inherit - I love your line of thinking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results