shape
carat
color
clarity

Who waits for their special occasions?

chere

Shiny_Rock
Enjoy your early birthday present!

I bought my birthday present in January for my birthday in December. It was available and I didn’t want to pass on a sale. It’s a forever piece so it doesn’t matter when I get it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But then I have to decide whether to be disciplined and keep it for the big day, or start wearing it sooner (most likely on my 39th birthday, a much more manageable month away) while still considering it a 40th birthday present.

It's an early present! You are not the first -- because we do this all the time -- and I suspect you are not even the second person to do this sort of thing. :cool2: Get something else cheap but enjoyable on the actual big day -- flowers, wine, chocolates.

Our local jeweler had a going-out-of-business sale and spouse picked something out. She is not sure when she wants to get it -- Mother's Day (the soonest!) or birthday or anniversary or... She walks by the bag several times a day :lol-2:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe it is just me, but if I put something away in a box I forget I own it. Later when I open the box I'm no longer excited or even very interested. By the time the special occasion role's round I may not even remember to open the box. Whereas when I first get the item I'm very happy and usually even more happy the longer I wear it. I also buy into the cost per wear philosophy, so the earlier I open it the better.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much everyone. Picking it up on Sunday and hoping the right decision will become clear then!

It sounds weird but having geared up to wait for my 40th, I kind of feel I'm not mentally prepared for it yet...

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
OK, decision made - I'll wait for my 39th birthday next month, aka the start of my 40th year of life. I'll have to wait for 6 weeks, will always associate it with my birthday, but yeah, a whole year is just toooo much :devil:

Thank you for all your input! I love how differently we all do things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results