shape
carat
color
clarity

who should I contact about having my zircon heated?

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
I have a beautiful 5 ct zircon that is untreated, but I just don't love the color (pinky-orange). I would like to have it heated to a more neutral color, ideally a buttery white or white-white (but I know it's a risk and you never know what you will get), just so that that I will at least wear it. It is currently set in a rose gold solitaire setting so I would need to have it unset and reset along with the heating. Any suggestions of someone who might be able to do it all?

index_finger

Rough_Rock
I know some folks try to heat their dark brown zircons in those small home cookers and the color turn lighter, almost colorless. But the outcome isn't guaranteed.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many cutters simply heat their zircons over the alcohol lamp flame. I would think a candle flame would work as well. Heating typically takes a few minutes is all. To heat the stone to colorless, just keep it over the flame until it goes colorless.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures?? Depending on the color, a pink-orange zircon can be very desirable (and valuable)! In that case, it would be better to sell what you have and buy a zircon that's more to your liking.

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1477334569|4090090 said:
Many cutters simply heat their zircons over the alcohol lamp flame. I would think a candle flame would work as well. Heating typically takes a few minutes is all. To heat the stone to colorless, just keep it over the flame until it goes colorless.

I had heard this too, but was worried I would do something wrong (and the stone would explode or something haha - which I am sure is possible but unlikely, etc)

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
pokerface|1477337591|4090109 said:
Pictures?? Depending on the color, a pink-orange zircon can be very desirable (and valuable)! In that case, it would be better to sell what you have and buy a zircon that's more to your liking.

I had heard this too - but I bought this stone second hand and from what I was seeing, a new colorless stone would cost me more than (almost double) I paid for this one. I love the stone, but the color just doesn't work on my skin tone and I've only worn it once. Seems like such a waste! Sorry, I've never posted and picture and I can't seem to figure out how!

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
To post a picture scroll down from the comments box towards the bottom where the large blue section is.
Next to the tab that says "options" is one that says "upload attachment.
Click on this and click choose file, this will open up your photos and docs on a seperate page on your computer, select your picture and click choose.
It will then show the file name/number next to the "choose file " tab, click the "add the file" tab to the right.

Personal a pink/orange zircon that is well cut should be worth more than a white.
If you are unsure of selling it look at maybe swapping it for a white with one of the trusted vedors.
It can't hurt to ask.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
Check out the white Zircon on gemselect. They have 3 ct oval and round for about US$70.
The orange pink ones are much more.
AJS gems has some quite nice ones in the orange/pink/red tones to compare with what you have.

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered offering to trade. To be honest though, GemSelect is very much hit or miss on cutting, none of those zircons are appealing to me for that reason. The one I've got is precision cut (I was looking more at Jeff Davies for a replacement, and something that would still fit in the setting I have) so ideally I would replace it with something just as well-cut if I did that. But I will keep a trade in mind and see if there are any takers if I come across something :)

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here's the stone in question, it's one I cut awhile ago. I remember the color being a little darker in person. The rough was sold as unheated, and I have no idea what would happen to it with heating.

pink1_0.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed!! :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful! I love the color. I agree with Gene.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results