carat
color
clarity

Who remembers this Art School ad?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who remembers this Art School ad?
Kenny's recent thread about Sea Monkeys brought this other ad to mind.
I was intrigued and drew all of these characters over and over.
I eventually did go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh--maybe this ad was an early inspiration!

_35701.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember! I drew one and sent it in and got a letter back about going to the school and my mom told me it was stupid and a sham and threw it away.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh Stracci do I ever. My mom was excellent at drawing cartoons my brothers and I used to give here these ads all the time. She used to tell us they were scams and threw them away. Packrat, are our moms sisters?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure sounds like they are! If your mom's name is Jeanie I'm going to have to do a double take..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember the ad though I never entered.

Today I strongly suspect it's main purpose was to generate mailing lists of real people so the fresh lists could be rented out to direct marketers.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ad looks vaguely familiar. Wasn't it in the back of magazines or something? Looking at it today, my first reaction was "sounds pretty scammy." Hearing the stories of harshness on the part of some parents reminds me that I may someday encounter this type of situation with my own child and to try to treat it with sensitivity and not be so abrupt or soul-crushing!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Monarch, this was in the backs of all the magazines.
'Specifically, in my case, Teen, and Seventeen, Mad, Circus, Cream (who remembers those???) back in the mid-late 70's.
After entering, they sent me a pamphlet about enrolling in their home-study course.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember this ad and one that was a deer named "Blinky" or something like that. Then I saw a feature in another magazine that spoofed the ad by having famous artists (dead and alive) draw their submissions in their style-i.e Picasso, DaVinci, Monet, Lichenstein, Seraut, etc so clever as each artist's style really came through in interpreting these simple drawings..I think the spoof aslo contained the art school rejection letters to each of these artists describing why their rendition (lack of talent) was not accepttable to the school. I wished I had saved it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results