shape
carat
color
clarity

Who Pays for the Wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs.ROC

Rough_Rock
Now that the engaged excitement is over... it''s time to face the reality of the wedding planning. My FI and I both being asian..from different cultures. In my culture, traditionally, the Groom''s family pays for the wedding. Now.. modern day, the bride and groom just pay it themselves. My dilemma now.. is the FI. His family has already willingly offered to pay for half of the wedding.. very generous and fair. Unfortunately, on my side, my parents are not as afluent as my FI family.. and therefore have not offered to assist financially for the wedding.. and my family actually is the larger portion of the guest list. My FI however.. keeps insisting me on asking my parents how much they can contribute to the wedding budget. I, growing up never spoke about finances at home.. so I do feel awkward in asking my parents.. and knowing they are not as financially able to contribute as much as my FI family... what''s a bride to do????? I would appreciate any advice and wisdom PSers!!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
He keeps insisting you ask your parents to contribute, even though you're uncomfortable doing so? Well, that's a whole other can of worms, and I won't go there
9.gif

The thing is, if your parents are comfortable making a contribution, they likely will offer it without prodding from you. It is, after all, THEIR choice to contribute, and it is a *gift*.

If you don't feel comfortable asking, don't. I for one don't think it's appropriate to ask for money when it comes to weddings. If it's offered, great, deal with it how you feel comfortable. But don't go asking your parents to pay, putting them in the awkward position of either embarrassing themselves (and disappointing you/FI) or stressing their own financial situation.

As a suggestion, why not finance the entire wedding on what your FI's parents have so generously offered to contribute?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would agree you shouldn''t have to ask your family for what is after all a gift.

But, if your family aren''t contributing it would be fair to expect them to cut their side of the guest list if you can''t afford large numbers.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might get more responses if you have admin move this to the Bride World Wide thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results