shape
carat
color
clarity

Who pays for the engagement ring insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
The proposal has been made and accepted (yay), and she''s moved in and we''ve started to split the living costs (utilities, food, etc.) Is it fair for me include the engagement ring insurance in these splittable costs?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Split everything! Starting living like a married couple, however, if one of you can''t afford to split the insurance then the other should pay. But do get insurance!!!

tanyak

Shiny_Rock
We split it. We were already living together and had renter''s insurance, which we split. We just added a rider to that policy. It''s not a big deal. My ring is about $60 a year, although a more expensive ring will obviously cost more to insure. :)

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
This may be very old fashioned, but my salary goes into the same account as my husbands, and things just get paid out of the one pot.

There is no ''my money, your money''

The money isn''t an issue. Most of my married friends have seperate accounts, but it all sounds kinda complicated sorting out exactly who pays for what.

But i guess it''s whatever you feel comfortable with, but you definitely need to insure your purchase.

best wishes....dyanne
35.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
My insurance premium was only a little over two hundred dollars so I paid for it. I felt it was the least I could do since he already spent all that money on the ring itself. Next year when we renew it, it would be split though since we''d be married.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am assuming you have renters or home owners insurance (my e-ring is on our home owners) and we split that. He did pay for the appraisal (I made him, but hey, he makes more money than me) We pretty much split everything. I pay the gas bill, he the electric (that sort of thing) it is exactly dollar for dollar but it is close enough for us.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 12:45:40 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I am assuming you have renters or home owners insurance (my e-ring is on our home owners) and we split that. He did pay for the appraisal (I made him, but hey, he makes more money than me) We pretty much split everything. I pay the gas bill, he the electric (that sort of thing) it is exactly dollar for dollar but it is close enough for us.

I personally don't have renters insurance and my fiance's homeowners insurance wouldn't have nearly as good coverage as the insurance I obtained. I got my ring insured through Chubb. Even after I move into his house, I'm keeping the Chubb insurance because they have such great coverage. The author however didn't specify what type of home they have. I know a lot of people who live in apartments that don't actually have renters insurance because it wasn't financially worth it. With how much they would've paid in premiums and the deductible, they could've just bought new stuff. It's different for everyone though.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 1:57:38 AM
Author: aphisiglovessae
Date: 12/16/2005 12:45:40 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

I personally don''t have renters insurance and my fiance''s homeowners insurance wouldn''t have nearly as good coverage as the insurance I obtained. I got my ring insured through Chubb. Even after I move into his house, I''m keeping the Chubb insurance because they have such great coverage. The author however didn''t specify what type of home they have. I know a lot of people who live in apartments that don''t actually have renters insurance because it wasn''t financially worth it. With how much they would''ve paid in premiums and the deductible, they could''ve just bought new stuff. It''s different for everyone though.

Well, welcome back Jen. My sister''s apartment was struck by lighting and EVERYTHING that was plugged in (TV, VCR, Phone..) was ruined. Renters insurance is very inexpensive and to me worth it. Homeowners is required in NC (not sure about other states) Our coverage will cover everything including lost or mysterious damage. I think it is worth it for him to at least TALK to his agent. If you have more than one policy they will usually give you a price break. I was just helping him with the options.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... a separate jewelry rider through my insurance company (State Farm) is $30/year... I think I can front that.
9.gif

But if it were a larger expense, I could see splitting it. After all, you both benefit from it (she''d get her ring replaced, and you wouldn''t have to pay for it again!
2.gif
).

regalada

Shiny_Rock
I paid for mine with Chubb. It was the least I could do after he gave me the ring of my dreams.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
When my fiance and I didn''t live together, he paid, as it was through his insurance company. When we did move in together, he still paid! Now that we''re married, he still pays! Just kidding...our money is pooled, so I guess I''m paying too.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
My FI makes significantly more money than I do (I teach a small school for refugee and immigrant children. He is a writer/producer for a television station.) He covers most of the major expenses, but our money is really OUR money.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I paid for my own, hubby (fiance at the time) said he bought it, I insure it! Right now it's uninsured because Chubb was just too pricey for long term, but when I re-add it again it's going onto our house and other articles policy on it's own so whoever pays that stuff (I think it's Greg) will just pay that bill too. We have been doing quite a sloppy accounting thing for the last year and a half trying to slowly 'merge' ourselves more together in terms of finances, we are both such independent thinkers on the funds thing, the plan is for next spring to sit down and figure out how to do that 3rd account thing for household expenses. We already opened the joint account and linked accounts, so the actual DOING won't be so hard hopefully. Keeping fingers crossed!
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results