shape
carat
color
clarity

Who out there has been on PS the longest that is still active?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Show of hands? I'm just curious about this because sometimes when old threads pop up or I search something that turns up a really old thread, I don't recognize any of the names. Sometimes on the oldies I see some names that occur quite frequently (Gypsy for example) that haven't been active in years. Just wondering :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those still posting I'm certainly not the earliest to join, but I'm one of the older farts.
Under my avatar it says I joined 2005, but I joined 2 or 3 years before that.
IIRC there was some admin change or replacement/updating of software or hosting site that discarded older dates - or something like that.

Does anyone know what year PS was born?
Before our beloved Andrey became the major PS owner, it was someone named something like Leonid Tachouri, perhaps of Russian descent ... though I'm sure I've misspelled that name. :oops:

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Of those still posting I'm certainly not the earliest to join, but I'm one of the older farts.
Under my avatar it says I joined 2005, but I joined 2 or 3 years before that.
IIRC there was some admin change or replacement/updating of software or hosting site that discarded older dates - or something like that.

Does anyone know what year PS was born?
Before our beloved Andrey became the major PS owner, it was someone named something like Leonid Tachouri, perhaps of Russian descent ... though I'm sure I've misspelled that name. :oops:

That is quite a long time - glad you are still here! :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
there is a thread on this with in the last few months.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I outrank Kenny..:praise:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting info on the birth and early days of PS.

another:

Leonid and Irina were both very important in the early days of Pricescope. I knew it existed before I joined, but had an allegiance to another diamond forum at the time. I, and a few other members, got kicked off the other diamond forum for some misbehavior and Leonid and Irina welcomed us all here. At once.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I originally joined in May of 2001 and three days later I was bounced from the other forum that AGBF referred to for the egregious sin of selling EightStar diamonds.

What a wonderful platform this is. Carefully moderated to insure that all are allowed to present their ideas and where new visitors and members are welcomed with a barrage of information that may take hours, days, months, or even years to fully comprehend.

Wink

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I originally joined in May of 2001 and three days later I was bounced from the other forum that AGBF referred to for the egregious sin of selling EightStar diamonds.

What a wonderful platform this is. Carefully moderated to insure that all are allowed to present their ideas and where new visitors and members are welcomed with a barrage of information that may take hours, days, months, or even years to fully comprehend.

Wink

You went through hell sending me millions of green stones (all of which I returned) about 15 years ago, Wink, when I went through a phase when I thought I wanted to buy a tsavorite instead of an emerald and then decided I didn't. You were the soul of patience. I have followed your adventures for many years. Pricescope encourages friendships like this.

Deb :wavey:

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not the longest, but joined in March 2005. I have fond memories of the earlier days and the very start of consumers buying diamonds on-line. Seems like a million years ago!

Jeff Ira

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Wink

Why would selling eight stars get you booted? And @AGBF what happened to get you removed from the other forum?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would selling eight stars get you booted? And @AGBF what happened to get you removed from the other forum?

It sounds too silly to be repeated so many years later. I am sure it wasn't funny to the people who owned and administered the diamond forum to which we all we all posted but to those of us who formed a group outside of the forum it was actually meant to be harmless. We were friends and shared similar views on things but it led to our posting things that affected the forum. I think we were all sorry that happened. At the time we did this, we loved the forum to which we belonged.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't notice you had already posted the link to this thread, Karl, so I also posted it. I do see you took care of it, though. People should also know that before you became a member of the trade you had a long history here (and racked up many postings) as strmrdr (storm rider) also known as "stormy" and other nicknames you acquired over the years.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't notice you had already posted the link to this thread, Karl, so I also posted it. I do see you took care of it, though. People should also know that before you became a member of the trade you had a long history here (and racked up many postings) as strmrdr (storm rider) also known as "stormy" and other nicknames you acquired over the years.

Thanks Deb I felt bad about my grumpy first post in this thread so hunted down the links to make up for it.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You went through hell sending me millions of green stones (all of which I returned) about 15 years ago, Wink, when I went through a phase when I thought I wanted to buy a tsavorite instead of an emerald and then decided I didn't. You were the soul of patience. I have followed your adventures for many years. Pricescope encourages friendships like this.

Deb :wavey:

Dear Deb,

I went through an interesting and fun time with you. I remember it very fondly and I hope you know how much I enjoyed it.

I completely agree with you that Pricescope encourages friendships amongst the members. It is part of the richness of this environment. People come to this forum in search of information. Many leave once they have gotten what they came for, and many decide they like it here and come back again and again. Some like it so much that they learn more than 99% of the jewelers in this country and start sharing that knowledge with those who are asking questions.

I have heard from many consumers who have told me how they are spoiled after coming here, because when they ask some of the jewelers questions, the jewelers seem to have no clue what they are talking about.

For those who missed the, "Cut Quality Wars, you missed a tremendously exciting period in the history of understanding how light reacts within a diamond. There are still disagreements within the industry about what some things mean. Many of the things I learned at GIA back in 1975 were antiquated. Things we never even discussed in class were suddenly relevant, such as crown and pavilion angles. Lower girdle facets? Who knew they would someday be the, "Star of the show?" Hearts and Arrows? There weren't any, intentionally, in 1975.

Deb, I am glad you have enjoyed following my adventures over the years. They have given great meaning to me and have brought great joy to my very existence. So too have the many friends I have made here over these last very exciting 20 years. Competitors, clients, consumers, prosumers, I have many among each of these groups who are friends and from around the world. I am so grateful to have been alive for the rise of the internet. It opened a window to the world from my small city of Boise, Idaho to the entire world.

Thank you Pricescope!

Wink

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Politics. When I protested my removal I was told I could come back if I forsake my relationship with EightStar. I replied that I preferred being able to look in the mirror when I shaved and have never looked back.

Wink

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show of hands? I'm just curious about this because sometimes when old threads pop up or I search something that turns up a really old thread, I don't recognize any of the names. Sometimes on the oldies I see some names that occur quite frequently (Gypsy for example) that haven't been active in years. Just wondering :)

By the way, "Gypsy" is the name that was used by a poster that went into the trade, named Layla. (As "stormrider" was the name Karl used before he went into the trade.) She is still around as far as I know! ( She is mentioned in some of the current threads here. I don't know if I am supposed to be naming vendors in thread, but I think Wink could tell you where she is. You're the one who mentioned her name after all. Gypsy once sent me a cake. I am very fond of her due to that as well as other things.)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
By the way, "Gypsy" is the name that was used by a poster that went into the trade, named Layla. (As "stormrider" was the name Karl used before he wet into the trade.) She is still around as far as I know!

Oh interesting!!! Yes in older posts I see she is really active so was curious as to the whereabouts:)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I wonder which PSer had passed away. There were a few PSer in their 80's when I first joined.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

One of my favorite memories from those days is I threw down a challenge on the forum to GIA and AGSL to come out and talk to us.
Leonid put them in his powerpoint presentation and gave them my throw down at his JCK Vegas presentation in a packed room of industry professionals.

Don't tell Kenny or DF but I also got banned from PS once back in those days.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shocking I know.. Im never bad...lol
Two things that all humans have in common:

1. Everyone's farts stink. :knockout:
2. In our own minds we are never bad :saint:. :Up_to_something:

Last edited:

peachster

Rough_Rock
I joined in the early days too. I think it was another user name and then I stopped using the site for a while as got too busy with work and life. I had to make a new username as a result. Have spent lots of time lurking, rarely posting. It’s interesting seeing the early folks that are still here. Sad to see some old timers pass away or disappear too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results