shape
carat
color
clarity

Who likes Spas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom told me she wants me to get a spa treatment(s) her treat for x-mas. I have never been to one (besides a mani/pedi). My mom is visiting in 3 weeks so I thought it would be fun for us to go together (she hasn''t been to one in 30 years). So what would you suggest for a spa virgin? It cannot take all day b/c of the baby. I would prefer no longer than 3 hours.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh...I LOVE going to the spa!!! Its truly one of my favorite things to do!!!

Go for a massage and facial...its soooo relaxing...I know some people dislike facials, but I happen to really enjoy them (except the extraction part). I have to say, my skin looked awesome after the facial that I got right before our wedding. But, I can see how some people can find it uncomfortable at times....

If you dont want to go for the facial, I would do something like a massage and a seaweed wrap or something like that.....or, you can just stick with a massage and then a mani and a "special" pedi.

Good luck!! Sounds so fun! Your mom will really enjoy it!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I *loathe* the spa. Creeps me the hell out. I get so irritated and pissed off after I''ve been there a few hours. I don''t mind getting a massage or a pedicure, but that''s the most I can handle.

I think its the strangers touching me for a very long period of time that makes me feel like my space has been overly invaded. I also feel *weird* like these people are some how being subserviant by tending to my body in such an indulgent way. I''m blabbering and it makes no sense, but I just hate it.

Facials make my skin freak out (and I don''t have sensitive skin, but I have good skin, so its kind of like "if it ain''t broke, don''t fix it"), and I really DON''T like being naked around strangers. (no I''ve never had anything bad happen to me....nor am I shy at home with my DH -- I even prefer a male massage therapist...strong hands usually).

When I do get spa treatments with my girlfriends (they all seem to love them...me? I''d rather sit around a fire and drink too much good wine to relax with no kids in sight) I always get a 30 or 45 minute massage (short and sweet) and a pedicure or manicure.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes I have awesome spa experiences and other times I cannot wait to leave. Really depends on where it is, how good the estheticians are and what I have signed up for. Nothing worse than a bad massage in a too hot or too cold noisy room, with bad music playing. With my fibromyalgia some days it kills me to have anyone touch me.

Favorite times are on vacation and being in a tropical place where they do massages in a three sided tent overlooking the ocean, and the treatment rooms that are pleasant, treatments that do not hurt or smell gross, and a good person in charge of it all.

Make sure if your mom wants a massage to determine what type and if she would rather have a female masseuse or a male.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Divergirl...I''m not exactly clear on where you stand on the spa thing...could you elaborate a bit?
2.gif
§

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I love a good massage and facial also. A mani/pedi is always great too! The only thing I hate about spas is that they try to sell you all their products, ick. I can deal without all the seliing.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love getting a facial or a hot stone massage.....heaven
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My perfect spa day would include a pedi with parifin wax, one hour full body massage, and facial. I don''t like manicures much. I always want them over quickly, they make me uncomfortable because I feel as though I''m being hurt but I still do them because I want nice nails.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I am with Diver 100%! Sitting around with nude women in a jacuzzi is not my idea of fun! I do love a good facial or mani/pedi, but, not hours and hours at the spa. One treatment is usually enough for me.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hormones are still out of control so my skin is bad. Maybe a facial would be good for me then. I am not sure I would enjoy a massage actually. Kind of agree with Diver there of course I have never had one....I''ll have to see if they have an online "menu" of their services.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what''s not to like?!

i used to have a hot stone massage once every month along with a facial every 3-4 weeks.

now its just the facial every 2.5 - 3 weeks. but she''s good and gives me a shoulder massage as well as arms and hands....and then ends with a scalp massage. this all included with the facial!

movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Last time I had a facial I froze! The technician gave me a blanket but it did little to comfort me...good thing the facial was great! I had two massages recently from the same place but by two differnet people. One was great and one was so so. I really should have booked with the same gal.

Actually pedicures kinda give me the creeps--I only go for polish application b/c the thought of them using "tools" (aka germs) makes me uncomfortable. I know my fears are likely unfounded but there you have it.

cheers--Sharon

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2008 1:13:54 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Divergirl...I''m not exactly clear on where you stand on the spa thing...could you elaborate a bit?
2.gif
§
Allow me to elaborate! LOL!! J/K...

hee hee hee...

you funny.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love a massage and maybe a facial. hubby gave me a gift cert. for a prenatal message a while ago and I still haven''t used it but plan to soon. I do prefer a man though b/c having a woman do it kinda creeps me out, although I''ve had a female message therapist before and it was fine. I like the facials too and of course a good mani/pedi....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love getting a facial, and a soft massage. I hope you and your Mom have a great time!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love some spa treatments, but i am not a facial person. if i get treatments they are always a massage and things like scrubs or wraps. facials do absolutely nothing for my skin because it''s pretty regular, and i feel like i just paid $100 for someone to sit there and rub, pat and push my skin around and i could do that at home for free! when i get a massage also i don''t just like the soft pushing the skin around thing. i like more deep tissue where i am almost crying because then i know it''s working! and i LOVE hot stones massages because they are so relaxing (combo it with a deeper massage and that''s my idea of heaven)... and scrubs because i know it''s exfoliating me.

some people just really don''t like spas because of the other people touching them thing, but i find that the more you go, the less self-conscious you feel, now i don''t even think about it. when i first started going i felt really weird about it...and do you get naked or don''t you etc. but now i just get naked and hop up on the table. if they didn''t even leave the room, i wouldn''t even care! hehe. oh and i have had men and women but i typically just feel more comfortable with women, the men thing is just a little too weird for me.

also i love mani pedi''s but i would never pay for them at a spa, they are way too expensive for what you get...i have a great place where i get leg and arm massage, hot rocks massage, paraffin wax, mani and pedi for $40...you cannot beat that really, and a spa charges you about $75 for the same thing.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
i love spa treatments!! i agree with Mara that i prefer the deep tissue treatments over the ''soft'' massages...somehow i dont feel i got anything done if i dont feel a bit of pain..

plus, the more u go, the more comfortable u feel..i used to be very self consious of going to the spa, but after a few times, its such a nice feeling to get pampered, feel fully relaxed and walk out with a big smile on ur face...plus i LOVE the showers in the spas...for some odd reason the water/water pressure there is always better than home!! heheh....

i dont like facials though...they make my skin break out and all irritated...but im all in for the massages, the exfoliating and the hydro baths...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
anyone have a pumpkin peel?

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i'm not so keen on massages - esp if they are too rough - and i tend to bruise like a peach but i love facials, manis and pedis and have tried whole body treatments but they are eh - i don't feel that they really did much and i get a bit bored after awhile.

btw mara - i think you live in the bay area in silicon valley. i just moved down here from SF .. your mani pedi place sounds great. wondering if you would mind sharing where you go? i had my favorite mani place in the city where i loved the way they did french manicures and they were really cheap too but haven't found a place i'm super happy with in the south bay plus manis/pedis are more expensive down here!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2008 10:51:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
yes!

part of the experience for me is all the textures and smells of the products used..........

movie zombie

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Things have to smell good and honestly the setting is so vital to me.

I was just in Turks and Caicos over the holidays, and the beaches there were rated top in the world. We were staying at a fairly new resort. The spa, which was lovely in a Thai/spiritual sort of way, should have been near the ocean, like the spa last year on Virgin Gorda. This one was in the PARKING LOT and I could hear trucks going by on the road outside. Sorry, no spa music can cover that.

Then, I had a french manicure for 55.00 US dollars, at home I can get manicure and pedicure for that, which I realize I am on vacation, but I thought that was a bit much. She did an okay but not great job.

It was my birthday treat, so I was fine, but 750.00 later I was not that relaxed and it did bum me out a bit.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Tacori,

For a spa virgin I would suggest a swedish massage over a deep tissue massage for your first visit. Deep tissue is better for your health in the long run, but they can be a bit painful at times. And always be sure to tell them if you need more or less pressure. If they''re good, they''ll ask you.

I would say for a first visit any of the following combos are a good way to go...

massage - facial (I don''t do facials since my skin is very sensitive, but I''ve heard their wonderful)
massage - mani and/or pedi
body scrub - massage

Any of those should be around 2 - 3 hours.

The last time I had a body scrub and massage it was absolutely wonderful. I had the same person for both (which I hadn''t experienced before - I''d normally have the body scrub by one person and then massage by another) and since massage is the last 25 min. of the body scrub service I ended up having a 30 min scrub directly followed by a 90 min. massage. Normally, I would think that was too long, but after a long day of skiing it was absolute heaven!

I''m not so keen on the body wraps. I get too hot and get a bit freaked out to not be able to move my arms and legs. Maybe it was just a bad one.

And I totally agree with msb700 - love the spa showers! Someday when DH and I get a house I''m going to turn the master bath into a serene spa bathroom complete with slate, teak wood, river rock, candles... ahhhhhhh.... :)

Enjoy!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my professional point of view. I''ve been in the business since 1985. Interesting to see the wide range of preferences here. Since I''m a massage therapist (used to do nails) I''ll tell you my thoughts from experience both on the table and off.

Get a longer massage, swedish or "signature" which generally means it''s going to have something nice or extra about it and still be pleasurable. You would not believe how quickly the time goes by once you''re on the table. I prefer 90-min massages, scrubs first, facials afterwards, and last pedicures. Try a wrap, ask them not to leave the room tho. Same for facials...get them to massage your hands and feet while you "mask". I hate to feel stranded under a mask alone in the room. Reflexology is awesome!

Arrive EARLY....your appointment begins at the designated time, 9am means 9am....not after you''ve gotten changed and she/he finally gets you on the table at 9:12 for example. I will never understand those that arrive at 9:05 for a 9:00 ~25min massage/facial etc. .....DONT BE LATE. Pre pee also....that comes out of your time once you''re in the room and realize that you need to "go"....do it when you get into your robe.

Please communicate with the therapist, they don''t always ask the right questions. Let them know it''s your first massage, ask them if it''s panties on or off (it''s up to you really), start face up or face down? Do you want a particular area of concentration? Upper backs generally for women, lower backs for men.....but it varies. Tell them about any serious conditons you have, any regular meds you take, if you are pregnant, nursing, or going through chemo....etc. I have had to say NO to a couple of people over the years but they thanked me for being honest about the reasons why in their cases.

Plan to relax a bit. I prefer not to have services/treatments booked back to back, I like about 30 minutes in between to relax and read a bit, get in the steam or whirlpool. Our spa also gives pool passes in the summer which is really nice if you''re not a guest of the hotel. The locals love that perk. Drink lots of water after a massage. Take a good book or magazine of your own.
34.gif

Have fun!!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to reiterate what cnspotts said about drinking water - that is SO important. I will literally get flu-like symptoms if I don''t drink water throughout the day after my massage. It''s muy importante. If you''re new to massages, maybe just go for a 30 minute one. Definitely do not go with a deep tissue, and don''t be afraid to say that the pressure is too much. Maybe even say you''d prefer light pressure and ask for more if it''s too light.

I''m so surprised to hear people say they don''t like the spa! If I had the income, I''d go once a week. I''ve never been to the type of spa where you sit around with others in a jacuzzi/steam room, though. That doesn''t seem like fun. Spa days are all about being quiet and just relaxing - yes it''s indulgent! So is fabulous jewelry. ;-)

When my mom and I "go crazy" at the spa, we''ll do a massage, facial, and then a salon service like a pedi or a haircut. Finishing with a cut or shampoo/blow dry is really fun (especially if you''re due for a cut) because after a massage/facial, you can have oils etc in your hair, and it''s nice to have something from the day that lasts a bit. Does your spa offer hydro therapy? My mom loves hydro treatments, and if you''re uncomfortable with an undressing aspect, you wear a swimsuit for those. DH is also a massage fan (I created a monster). He likes a paraffin dip for his feet (it can feel REALLY hot though) followed by a massage. I agree with skipping the mani (I don''t find those relaxing), and ask to do a facial without the extractions (extraction is code for popping your zits). I break out pretty badly right after a facial and then my skin is perfectly clear about a week later (I''m 25 with pretty clear skin minus stress breakouts) - this is pretty normal, I think. My mom who is 50 doesn''t break out at all after a facial. Another fun spa thing is getting a makeup application - mom loves doing that, but shouldn''t be done after a facial. Never done the hot stones, but that sounds excellent - especially in winter, an exfolliation treatment could be nice. I''ve had that done before and it was wonderful. Had hot bubbling mud once and didn''t love it (I thought is smelled like asparagus) but my mom thinks they''re divine.

Anyway, I''m rattling on...just pick out a service or two that sound relaxing or interesting to you. When you call, ask what you should know about this service/what to bring/wear, etc. And most of all, have fun!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I love a little mani/pedi action, and if I''m in the right mood, a massage is awesome. I had one at a fancy hotel in Bangkok once that was like ...no...WAY. It was so good. But I''ve had some creepy-feeling ones too.

As for a facial, I''ve only ever had one. I was visiting my friend N in Budapest, where, according to her, having aesthetic treatments is de rigeur for any lady, so she booked me in with her facial-ist. Picture the most absurd and borderline offensive stereotype of a huge Hungarian woman who is determined to squeeze every minute speck of gunk from each pore. I was in AGONY! I would have really hated it if it wasn''t so damn funny. The fact that I speak not a word of Hungarian made the whole experience even more hilarious. That was not only my first but my last facial.

But I sure soaked up some local ambience.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2008 10:51:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Tacori I have never had one but on the EDS forum they talk about pumpkin peels ''stinging'' so I don''t think this is a good introduction to the spa experience.
How about one of the hot rock Hawaiian type massages they can be so blissful and after nursing and carrying Tessa around just the ticket!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
There is a local day spa, owned by someone I have a business acquaintance with, that I use when I want a massage. It is a very private, relaxing atmosphere; a very thorough Swedish massage; and I love it. I''ve also had the hot stone massage; now that one. . . it''s more intense and just a little painful to me.

I get my pedi at a small salon in a town close by. The person was highly recommended, and she had me sold when I saw her unwrap brand new tools for each client. Being safe from staph infections is of paramount importance.

I have the skin other people lust after; it rarely breaks out, etc; so I''ve never had a facial. Because they can cause the skin to ''react'', I''ve never worked up the nerve to have someone mess with my slight imperfections.

I would never, after seeing the aftermath on TV of some of these procedures, have things done like lasering, plumping, line-filling, dermabrasion, etc. No way, Jose.

Really not sure I would like the ''whole spa day'' thing. I''d want to pick and choose my own treatments at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results