shape
carat
color
clarity

Who knows what chutney is?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
.. another market question.
12.gif

Do you love, like or hate it? What do you eat it with? Do any of these sound appealing to you?

Spicy Plum Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

Our Best Seller... a sweet, traditional southern chutney made with caramelized onions and ginger. Delicious with roast pork, Brie or cheddar.

(Ingredients: plums, white sugar, brown sugar, apples, vinegar, raisins, onions, ginger, mustard seed, salt, red pepper)

Cranberry Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

A traditional accompaniment to Thanksgiving turkey. Wonderful with sandwiches, cheese and leftovers. Unlike cranberry jelly which is made from juice and pectin, our chutney is full of fruit; slow cooked down to a thick, flavorful reduction.

(Ingredients: cranberries, sugar, apple cider vinegar, oranges, raisins, onions, water, dates, ginger, garlic, salt)

Mango Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

Our sweet, gingery version of the classic Major Grey type chutney with a third the salt of most other brands. Delicious with sandwiches, curries, ham, grilled fish and goat cheese.

(Ingredients: mango, sugar, apple cider vinegar, ginger, salt, raisins, garlic, cloves, lime juice, cinnamon)

Sweet Peach Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

Our most versatile chuntey... delicious, refreshing, and gingery, this chutney is a great addition to curries, cold ham, chicken salad and most cheeses. It is also first-rate with fish.

(Ingredients: apples, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, peaches, apricots, raisins, garlic, ginger, salt)

Hot Peach Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

We use Habanero peppers that give this chutney flavor and heat. Provides a kick to appetizers and is delicious with ham, chicken, shrimp and fish.

(Ingredients: apples, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, peaches, apricots, raisins, ginger, garlic, salt, habanero pepper)

Rhubarb Chutney, 10 oz.

click to enlarge

Sweet, tart and spicy, this unusual chutney has a gingery finish that lends itself to salmon or lamb.

(Ingredients: rhubarb, brown sugar, vinegar, raisins, red jalapeno peppers, ginger, mustard seed, paprika)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Love chutneys! I''d eat any of those except maybe the rhubarb one.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I most often see mango chutney served with naan bread or roti bread in Indian restaurants. I don't really eat it though, since I'm not a big fan of that particular blend of sweet and spices. I've also had an omelet with apple chutney and goat cheese filling, which was great. So it's really subjective...but I probably wouldn't buy chutney for home. It would sit in our cupboard or fridge for years and never get eaten. Of all these, the cranberry sounds the best to me, though.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not really a fan of calling something chutney when it might be better described as a compote or relish.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a South Asian, the word 'chutney' almost always implies the green mint chutney. Reminds me of the sandwiches I used to take to school - two slices of bread smeared with spicy green mint chutney. YUM!

In looser definition of the word, you have various different concoctions available these days. I love any sauce made of fruits! Actually, I love any sauce. Lol.

ETA: Of the ones you mentioned, my favourite would be the cranberry and rhubarb. Rhubarb jam is sooooo good too!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would probabbly eat them all :), I am a fan of chutney :)

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I love chutney! I love its fruity, chunky yumminess, it adds a little something extra to a roast beef sandwich.
I would eat all of those listed... I've been idly considering making my own, as many of the store-bought ones are just too vinegary to be nice!

They don't have to be a curry type thing, or super-spicy, or even an overtly 'ethnic' or even an Indian thing for that matter, although I guess that's where the most sophisticated chutney comes from ... I grew up in outback Australia, and chutney is just part of the very Anglo meat and potato lifestyle!

Sweet, spicy and saucy... what could be better than chutney?

ETA: you had me at the first one... spicy plum chutney!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother made chutney once and it made me sick.
14.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I love chutney, they all sound good to me! I'd eat it with most meats, naan bread, and especially a good, fairly strong cheese on a hunk of chewy bread! The spice and fruit of the chutney go beautifully with the sharp taste of the cheese.

April20

Ideal_Rock
They all sound good to me!

I will typically serve it along with roast meats- turkey, chicken, etc. Adds a little kick.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love chutney! I serve cranberry chutney with chicken and turkey. And use mango chutney to make an awesome sweet curry!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Love chutney - it''s very popular in the UK.

Mango chutney I like with curry (along with sheep''s yoghurt).

Other chutneys are great with cold meats and salad, or with cheese.

Mmmmmmm
18.gif
, they''re fun to make as well.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 1:25:49 AM
Author: Deelight
I would probabbly eat them all :), I am a fan of chutney :)

Ditto - I love chutney. My mom used to make it at home when I was a kid, and hers is the best, in my (extremely) biased opinion
2.gif
I''ll have to get her recipe from her one of these days
9.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Love chutney. Especially mango chutney with fish...yum!
18.gif

The only one I may stay away from is mint chutney...I don''t like mint with savory foods, just sweet.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t even know what chutney was before this thread so...never had it lol.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I have a jar of mango chutney in the fridge - it was from an impulse night where I bought some coconut breaded shrimp for dinner and needed something to dip it in - YUM! I haven''t really done much else with it, but I had DH taste it and we agreed that it''s perfect for a sweet/spicy/nutty marinade for fish or chicken.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''ve eaten my way through many a bottle of Major Grey''s
18.gif

I love all chutney''s and I usually eat them with meat.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve had mango chutney. yum! thinking of making some myself so if anyone knows of a really good recipe, let me know!
1.gif

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I have only had it once or twice- my aunt loves it... It was maybe peach rhubarb and they served it with pistachio encrusted brie cheese
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Love chutneys and would eat any of the above.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I do and I love ''em all, especially mango chutney
18.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:24:45 AM
Author: Maisie
My mother made chutney once and it made me sick.
14.gif
Aw Maisie - you''re letting the side down Honey. I was about to say that Brits were brought up on it and it''s about the only thing that makes all that left over turkey bearable. Mind you I can''t stand Branston or Mustard Pickle!

I''m a complete chutney making/eating freak! Without a doubt, the best is Delia Smith''s Spiced Apricot & Orange Chutney

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results