shape
carat
color
clarity

Who initiates the upgrade

P

PierreBear

Just curious... does your SO know you love diamonds and jewelry and offers it as an anniversary present? Or is it a planted seed that you plan/save together for over the years. Also does it differ, whether it's a big anniversary such as 10, 15, 20 etc versus another occasion more along the lines of a birthday/Christmas. Have a great day!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:boohoo: :whistle: ..."it's my money and I'll buy what I want to, BUY what I want to, BUY what I want to! You go buy bling if that's what you wanna Doooooo...."

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No SO to answer to, or tell me what I can or cannot do, and long may that continue!

DK :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... are you talking about diamonds, or husbands?

P

PierreBear

Hahaha! You guys crack me up. I have a loving husband and we share an account. We live modestly and are financially conservative. However, I can't help it... I seem to be attracted to ridiculously beautiful and expensive rings that I would like to patiently wait for a big anniversary and would have the funds to do it but it seems a bit impractical. I hope that this desire goes away but after 5+ years, it's still there with a small flame burning. I was curious to see what other ladies have done just to put it in perspective. Or more jokes to distract me. :clap:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I talked him into a blingy halo at first, with the thought that it would be easier to talk him into a simpler setting down the road... That's what he wanted to begin with, so I'm happy to oblige!

...and if I happen to upgrade to a larger diamond, then we're both happy. [emoji57][emoji56]

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wife, Happy Life... The motto that I keep repeating. Jedi mind trick.

Seriously, I think we are like you. Modest life but I have issues. I try to keep it in check. Major milestones as my excuse. Who am I kidding? I suck at keeping it in check. I vow to be more responsible!! :mrgreen:

Q

Queenie60

I plant the seed and let him know what I plan to do a few months ahead of time. Then when the jewelry arrives, he's not so shocked. I usually say to him - our anniversary is coming up so I want to get a piece of jewelry - most of the time he says "sure" - I take that as a yes and move forward with what I want. I try to space it out a bit as to not overwhelm him with all of my bling. He understands and just allows it to happen. My husband understands that a "happy wife is a happy life."

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
My DH initiated my e-ring diamond upgrade. I still remember it like it was yesterday. We were both at work and he called me to catch up on our days and suddenly said "Ya know, I think you need a bigger diamond." I was like :-o "Who are you and what did you do with my husband?" :lol: I made sure he didn't forget and made an appointment to look at diamonds that weekend! LOL Now, whenever I want to upgrade something (a setting, etc) I usually initiate it and he goes along with it as long as it's within reason with our finances.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. My dh wants me to be happy and to that end my bling decisions are always up to me. With his full support and encouragement. As others have posted "Happy Wife Happy Life" rings (haha see what I did there :cheeky: ) true. :appl:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We both used to joke about how small my original diamond was (.26ct). I would say "One day I want a HUGE diamond ring", just as a joke. To me, huge was 1ct. I got an upgrade at 15 years, then 25 years. I think he thinks that's more than enough now. My 25 year upgrade was to 1.77ct. I think I could go bigger, but realistically, it's time to think about retirement and things like new cars, not diamonds, sadly.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for sharing ladies! Yes, I'm familiar with the phrase happy wife, happy life. I have a friend who put a twist on it and now I can't help but laugh and always think her saying "angry wife, angry life." har har har...

Lyra - Wow, I just had to comment and say congrats on 25 years. Very amazing. Did you keep all your rings just for sentimental sake?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1466601575|4046619 said:
Thanks for sharing ladies! Yes, I'm familiar with the phrase happy wife, happy life. I have a friend who put a twist on it and now I can't help but laugh and always think her saying "angry wife, angry life." har har har...

Lyra - Wow, I just had to comment and say congrats on 25 years. Very amazing. Did you keep all your rings just for sentimental sake?

Thanks PB. Yes, I have all the rings. I wear my 15 year one on my right hand. It's our 33rd anniversary this year.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ha! my husband never heard of upgrade till he met me :) he's not in favor of upgrades per se, he doesn't mind resets - I just gave my 1.33 K AVC VS2 to my son to use for an engagement ring and my husband said that maybe sometime we can upgrade to a new stone for my engagement ring (like when we have a GREAT GREAT year in the stock market ;-) )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results