shape
carat
color
clarity

Who has had a new roof put on recently?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so we needed a new roof. Last time we had a new roof put on, was at our old house, and I came home from the hospital with my DS to find roofers pounding away after a C section.
39.gif

So, the roof to the garage is cedar and yes rotting. I knew we had to get a new roof, but around the Holidays?? DH, maybe I will call him H as he's in FLA leaving this mess to me.... He said it will be 2 weeks, and they will start far away from you and you'll be in FLA for the worst of it, he well remembers how I suffered the pounding with a newborn and had an 18 month old ...

So they start on Monday, really great guys. Fork lifts come, a dumpster the size of a football field is plopped on my driveway. Piles and I mean piles of cedar shingles are left in neat stack and .... A porta potty.... I am all for the porta potty. But am looking at all of this and going Hmmmmm.. This ain't no 2 week job. Then I look at the workers... There are only 3 at most.

So the head guy moves his truck so I can back out. I drive up and say well by the looks of this, you're going to be here for some time huh?? I said I was hoping to escape the worst of it next week when I am away, but the weather looks pretty grim and it's THanksgiving. He said how long did you think it would take. I said hubby said 2 weeks, he burst out laughing and said you'll be lucky to be rid of us by Christmas.
6.gif

My husband is in deep doo doo. I am finding a rental and taking the dogs and bird with me. Casper is 15 and can't take it.

Any other suggestions?? I need them. I am not an early riser, so telling me to wake up at 8:00 and have pounding over my head, isn't going to go over well.
24.gif
24.gif

Who has been through this?? HELP!!!!
12.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t have a roof put on but we added an addition and had construction going on for 18 months while we lived in the house. It wasn''t pleasant. We had the port-a-potty, the dumpster, and the cigarette butts everywhere
29.gif
I am sorry Kaleigh. It''s like chid birth though - in time you''ll eventually forget all about it. Hang in there!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
How ginormous is your roof? Are they just reshingling or are they actually taking the roof off over the attic and replacing it? Maybe they have other jobs in between working on yours?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 10:51:46 PM
Author: iluvcarats
I didn''t have a roof put on but we added an addition and had construction going on for 18 months while we lived in the house. It wasn''t pleasant. We had the port-a-potty, the dumpster, and the cigarette butts everywhere
29.gif
I am sorry Kaleigh. It''s like chid birth though - in time you''ll eventually forget all about it. Hang in there!
HA, yes they smoke a lot. I am hoping the butts are being tossed in the dumpster?? I will have to have a chat with them about that.
11.gif

Wow 18 months is a long time, ok will buck up then. I needed that. But forgetting about this??? I don''t think so, didn''t forget that last roofing job. But I hear ya.... Just joking with you.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 11:00:13 PM
Author: packrat
How ginormous is your roof? Are they just reshingling or are they actually taking the roof off over the attic and replacing it? Maybe they have other jobs in between working on yours?
We don''t have a huge house. BUT they have to remove cedar shingles and 2 layers of asphalt. The owners of the house tried to fix it on the cheap and really left a mess for us. We should have done it before we moved in, but it was $$$ we didn''t have and knew the roof would last a good 10 years or so...

The house is 4 bedrooms, 3 and 1/2 baths.. Really not big as far as some houses around here, but our''s is an older house, 70 years at least.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I hate having people in my space. Can they add some more guys to make it go any faster? I honestly have forgotten all about it, but the thought of doing it again does make me cringe. It seems like a long time, but I am not familiar with cedar roofs. Maybe you can work it to your favor with DH - an extra special Christmas present
31.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeesh..that STILL seems like a long time. When we were going to shingle our roof a few months ago, dad and JD were going to do it together in a 4 day weekend, and that was taking everything off down to..well whatever is underneath shingles. It''s just 1 layer of shingles right now tho. Our house is about 1000sf, plus a 1 car attached garage, plus the roof over the back deck which is about the size of a 1 car garage, and the roof over the front porch. Maybe cedar is different and takes longer? Maybe the guy was trying to be funny and not being so?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 yrs ago we had our cedar roof replace with tile it sure seem like it took forever.
20.gif
Kaleigh,you better pray for "no rain" til they finish the job.
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 12:10:46 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
4 yrs ago we had our cedar roof replace with tile it sure seem like it took forever.
20.gif
Kaleigh,you better pray for ''no rain'' til they finish the job.
5.gif
I know!!! They do tarp everything. I know the owner very well.. But he''s a huge builder around here. Not a roofer. So there lies the problemo.
2.gif
Poor Dana, he''s going to be in the dog house for a long time. HEY, while the roofers are at it, the can shingle a small house for him.
11.gif
OK I need to be nice.. Or do I?? Haven''t quite made up my mind since, he''s in FLA having all the fun. Hmmmm
11.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
We had a new cedar shingle roof put on our house, and it only took two days. The roofer did come with a bunch of guys to do the job, and I think they worked two 11 hour days. Here''s a pic of my house so you can see the size:

housejjc.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful house Vesper!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 11:11:28 PM
Author: Kaleigh
The house is 4 bedrooms, 3 and 1/2 baths.. Really not big as far as some houses around here, but our''s is an older house, 70 years at least.
Most homes around my neighborhood are about 4 bd. 2.5 baths. . .around 2-3,000 sq feet and recently many have begun needing new roofs as they''re all around 20 years old. NONE of them have taken more than a few weeks. One just down the road, took 2-3 weeks at most. They had a dumpster out there and a bunch of guys working non-stop.

Good luck and I guess be thankful you can get a rental
1.gif

Oh, and do you have a HOA? Do they have rules re: how long a project is permitted to take?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, my husband started his business as a roofer 24 yrs ago, now his business has grown to doing all types of remodelling, (he''s even built his first house), but as luck would have it (because it''s starting to get cold here), he''s going to be doing three or four roofs in a row now. We also had our own done six years ago, with complete removal of the wood deck on half of my house and with the most difficult to apply heavy weight shingles made today (Certainteed''s Grand Manor Shangles, a real bitch to cut and nail down). My house is only 19 square I think, and it took five days (maybe) to be done to perfection, and I also have a sun porch and a reverse gable in the front over the entry way. We had our rip guy come in and rip three layers of old shingles off before my husband and his helper got started. The rip took three hours tops with complete clean-up and hauling away of garbage.

Do you know how many square your house is? and what type of new shingling they''re applying?

I don''t think my husband has taken more than a week to do anyone''s home, even the biggest sprawling ranch. In a month''s time, he can do four roofs with days off to rest in between.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s what makes me think the guy was either cracking a joke, or they have too many jobs lined up that need to be worked on at the same time. JD did construction for years, and if it took his crew that long to do 1 roof, they''d never eat or pay bills.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know the square footage. But they work from 8:30 till 3:00. They worked yesterday. We have asked the builder for additonal men, and have asked they work longer hours. We''ll see. Thanks guys!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck. It sucks to have the roof worked on during the holidays, but really is there ever a good time of year for having a roof replaced?

Hope all goes quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results