shape
carat
color
clarity

Who do I call to get rid of a hot tub?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
We have a hot tub on the deck that was there when we bought the house. While it seems like an "ooh-ahh" item to have, we have used it about 6 times in 3 years. Our deck is large with two levels, the smallest level has the hot tub on it and is right outside the back door. I would prefer to remove the hot tub and screen in this upper deck level to have mosquito-free outdoor space.

So...the previous owners didn''t buy a normal hot tub with all the heat controls on the tub, itself...instead, it is somehow linked to our hot water heater in some kind of crazy kind of way. You adjust the temperature by adjusting the hot water setting....seems crazy to me but it may be common...I dunno. Anyway, I can''t imagine anyone would want to buy it because of this. I imagine I would call a plumber to unhook it from the hot water heater but how do I get rid of it? Doesn''t seem like something I could just put out at the curb on trash day.

Anyone had to deal with this?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably list it on freecycle, or on craigslist for free or dirt cheap, with the stipulation that they come get it (after you''ve unhooked it). It might not be worth much, but that way someone else can deal with the hassle of carting it off, and I''m sure someone can use a free hot tub!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 2:15:02 PM
Author: laine
I''d probably list it on freecycle, or on craigslist for free or dirt cheap, with the stipulation that they come get it (after you''ve unhooked it). It might not be worth much, but that way someone else can deal with the hassle of carting it off, and I''m sure someone can use a free hot tub!

Ditto! Someone will come and haul it away for you!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''ll take it off your hands!
9.gif
Can you fedex it to me?

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
If you post it for free on your local classifieds, you should be able to get rid of it pretty quickly.

My parents had the same difficulty. They never used it, so they listed it for free with the stipulation that the person had to remove and transport it.

Someone took it off their hands the next day, and they got A LOT of phone calls.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 2:48:45 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I'll take it off your hands!
9.gif
Can you fedex it to me?
Well, I don't see why not....let's see...where can I find a really big box and some packing materials...lol...
emwink.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me
9.gif
I am dying for a hottub.
2.gif
3.gif
I hope you find someone soon!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 5:47:20 PM
Author: Skippy123
Me
9.gif
I am dying for a hottub.
2.gif
3.gif
I hope you find someone soon!
I thought it would be the coolest thing ever but the chemicals, to me, are a pain to manage. And, since it''s outside and not in a temperature controlled room, you absolutely cannot stand to be in it at all during the summer...it''s miserable. In fact, there is a small window of time in the Spring and Fall that it''s comfortable. In the Winter you freeze to death getting out. Then, friends say to adjust the temperature during the Summer to make it a little cooler...can''t! because it adjusts the temperature for the house, too, and I like hot showers. It''s just a crazy setup.

One worry I have it that our deck is at least 12 ft off the ground and I know it was a huge deal to get it up there by comments made from the previous owners, but I wonder how we can get it down without damaging the tub or tearing up part of the deck, railing, or the stairs....oh, bother....sorry to be such a complainer...
40.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 5:56:59 PM
Author: dianne

One worry I have it that our deck is at least 12 ft off the ground and I know it was a huge deal to get it up there by comments made from the previous owners, but I wonder how we can get it down without damaging the tub or tearing up part of the deck, railing, or the stairs....oh, bother....sorry to be such a complainer...
40.gif
Oh darn, I didn''t know so much went into taking care of them. I have wanted one ever since we moved into our house (7 yrs ago); I told hubby I would buy one one day. Maybe you have convienced me otherwise. I hope you find someone who will take it down without damaging the deck. How did you get it up there? Maybe call a hot tub company that sells used ones and they might have the equipment to move it?

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 6:02:25 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 4/25/2008 5:56:59 PM
Author: dianne

40.gif
Oh darn, I didn't know so much went into taking care of them. I have wanted one ever since we moved into our house (7 yrs ago); I told hubby I would buy one one day. Maybe you have convienced me otherwise. I hope you find someone who will take it down without damaging the deck. How did you get it up there? Maybe call a hot tub company that sells used ones and they might have the equipment to move it?
Oh, Skippy, I'm sorry...I don't mean to change your mind. Maybe it's just me...but the chemicals were bothersome and, in some cases, you can't use it if the chemcials are "off"...it can cause skin reactions.

I'm not sure how they got it up there...I just remember them saying something about they were beginning to think they would have to send it back to the store....seems lots of neighbors were involved, lots of manpower, and lots of difficulty. There's 13 steps, I think, from the ground with no landing...just straight up and they follow alongside the house so the path is narrow to be hauling something that big. There's 5 seats and one "lay down" spot...it's not the biggest but it's still pretty big.

Hmmm....you may be onto something about the hot tub company. If they can safely remove it, and if DH agrees to give it away, I may include the stipulation that the buyer pay to have the hot tub company remove it. Thanks, Skippy!
36.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If you live on a street that has any amount of traffic, just make a sign saying "FREE HOTUB. YOU MOVE IT. IT"S YOURS" Do that on a Saturday morning and I bet it''s gone in 30 mintues. You won''t have to do anything.

I stick out all sorts of junk in front of my house with a sign that says "FREE" and I swear it''s always gone within 30 minutes. It amazes my neighbor''s. Heck, I think my neighbors have some of my old lawn chairs...I should peek over the fence.
31.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 11:31:40 PM
Author: miraclesrule
If you live on a street that has any amount of traffic, just make a sign saying ''FREE HOTUB. YOU MOVE IT. IT''S YOURS'' Do that on a Saturday morning and I bet it''s gone in 30 mintues. You won''t have to do anything.

I stick out all sorts of junk in front of my house with a sign that says ''FREE'' and I swear it''s always gone within 30 minutes. It amazes my neighbor''s. Heck, I think my neighbors have some of my old lawn chairs...I should peek over the fence.
31.gif

Haha... around here, even if there''s no sign, I''ve seen people trash diving all the time!

There just seems to be something about thinking you''re getting something for free, huh? Even when you didn''t know you wanted it until you saw it. Too funny, we are.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 12:07:11 AM
Author: fisherofmengirly

If you live on a street that has any amount of traffic, just make a sign saying 'FREE HOTUB. YOU MOVE IT. IT'S YOURS' Do that on a Saturday morning and I bet it's gone in 30 mintues. You won't have to do anything.

I stick out all sorts of junk in front of my house with a sign that says 'FREE' and I swear it's always gone within 30 minutes. It amazes my neighbor's. Heck, I think my neighbors have some of my old lawn chairs...I should peek over the fence.
31.gif

Haha... around here, even if there's no sign, I've seen people trash diving all the time!

There just seems to be something about thinking you're getting something for free, huh? Even when you didn't know you wanted it until you saw it. Too funny, we are.
miracle, I should have thought of that since I swiped a neighbors car seat put out at the curb for a young, single mom I personally knew that had nothing...and I mean nothing...so I sanitized the entire seat and washed the cover and it was good as new!

fisher, you are so right, there is actually an older man who comes around on trash day in a van and takes stuff. The previous owners of my house warned me so it wouldn't scare me if I saw someone going thru my trash.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
If you live on a street that has any amount of traffic, just make a sign saying ''FREE HOTUB. YOU MOVE IT. IT''S YOURS'' Do that on a Saturday morning and I bet it''s gone in 30 mintues. You won''t have to do anything.

I stick out all sorts of junk in front of my house with a sign that says ''FREE'' and I swear it''s always gone within 30 minutes. It amazes my neighbor''s. Heck, I think my neighbors have some of my old lawn chairs...I should peek over the fence.
31.gif
No one in my neighborhood takes anything that is left out. In the past ive left out a working washer/dryer, an expensive floor lamp, a loveseat, mirror, desk etc. I needed it out of my garage. Each wound up being taken by Republic Services. No sense letting perfectly good stuff get trashed so I get rid of it on Craigs or donate. My husband said we need to put a sign on the stuff that says for sale xxxx amount, & then it will wind up gone.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results