shape
carat
color
clarity

Whitefllies still need help...Drainflies vs whiteflies...how to tell the difference..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So few days ago I asked for help with whiteflies infestation outside (so far) Anyways I found out that due to wet weather we are having here apparently there is a problem with drainflies. So if any of you know how to tell the difference between those two , please let me know.The treatment for each is different so I must make sure exactly what I am dealing with.BTW I did spray them with soapy water and it did the trick some are gone.Thanks for that.However I am far , far from winning this battle.. Thanks

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
scarleta, drain flies are dark or gray. the whiteflies are white as you described in your other post. i believe that is do to the waxy substance they secrete getting on their wings. the information i read says they are not really flies at all. if you goggle drain flies it will give you an osu site with a picture and a good description of the drain fly. hth.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Crown 1 : Thanks for your help
1.gif
I did lots of "googling" and somehow still not sure which ones I have.Apparently Pacific North West has been so wet and drainflies are a problem in a city right now.
They are so tiny that its hard to see them very well and they move when slightly disturbed.Mine are white but I do see a bit of grey on their wings.?Maybe I should take a magnifiying glass to look for tiny hair on the wings ( means draiflies)
When I transferred some compost material on my flower bed( my flower bed is located far away from the bin) I brought some (from the compost ) into the flower beds.They stayed few days, it was sunny there and I don''t see them in there any longer in that area, Unless they are hatching? I am tempted to take more compost out and put it out on my vegetable beds then it will may dry out. Not sure if this is the best idea ,but my composting bin is next to my veg bed anyways so I would not be transferring too far.I am desperately trying to do something however I don''t want to make a mistake by spreading them all over.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
what are you putting in your compost bin?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Crown good question here,I put lots of greens , straw , bit of soil . I do layer it , but I think I am bit short on carbon (straw is slow to break down)My compost is a bit too moist.Now mind you we had lots of rain all winter and spring also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results